Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will have to check with the wife since it is her car.

She is still upset I have not installed the 8181 we already purchased back in November. :) I just think a double din screen that actually fits flush between the vents and doesn't have to pop out will look so much more classy.

http://www.dualav.com/indashvideo/thumb/xdvd8181.jpg

I wish that RR or CF would have a built-in app or plugin for iPod connection. Meaning I could plug in my iPod via USB, and somehow interface with it through my frontend software.

Update: I get my new miniITX mobo on Monday (last one went bad, Logicsupply.com replaced it free of charge).

<----- Excited

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I wish I could..

I know some of the alpine units (and maybe others) have an on-screen touch interface for the ipod, but this would entail using that head unit instead of the factory deck.

Other than the Jazzy mod, I can't think of another solution other than the cleansweep route and use the Aux input on that for the ipod.

Cleansweep is too expensive.

I am going to look into Linux version and apps and see what is out there. I am sure someone has created software that will allow you to controll your iPod as well as use Nav with a touch screen.

Is that to lofty a goal. I find a screen that will interface with a carputer allow me to use the factor HU, provide NAV and have IPod, MP3 and DVD playback?

Maybe I just found myself a new hobby, scouring the internet for info on this :lol:

I still need pics and a "materials used" list for the wiring from the battery through the firewall.. :)

Noted! Sorry, I completely forgot! By Tuesday, expect a fill pictorial from yours truly.

Seb...there is no good picture I can take. Really sorry. Weasel did an excellent job...

He had like a long thin wire or stick...with which he poked a hole in the rubber by the power steering (BUT GET HIS CONFIRMATION) and ran them from the car into the engine compartment...(taped the wires at the end of the stick and pulled them towards the engine). From Murry's (auto store) I got a 15 Amp fuse and fuse holder...The wire runs in the plastic trim on the left side of the car. I mounted my power source inside the trunk. Yes I ran more wires than needed...to the trunk back inside and so on...but I wanted to mount it some place where it always gets cooled...and the biggest empty space in the car was the best I could do. As far as I know...you may even try the engine compartment. To mount it inside the dash...is not good. At least mine has another fuse inside...you wanna get to it and replace the fuse easily - if anything.

BMAC is right. Hobby these days means obsession.

Itll turn into your demise if youre not careful. "Hobby" is the politically correct term for "Obsession"

Am I right or am I right?

That's okay. I need something other then work to focus on. I work to much anyways. If I was int he civilian sector they would love me. I average 55-60 hours a week. Is that normal in the civilian world?

BMAC et al...I suggest we make a directory in my first post of the major shit available in this thread. And I will edit it into my first post.

I agree. I'm not posting but following this thread and this would be immensely helpful.

Wait till you hear what it will be priced at. It's not the first car PC to be around, the rest are right around 600-800 iirc.

itll be more than that. It's a Shuttle. Theyre only worth it (pricing wise) if you build it yourself.

So I FINALLY figured out my dual startup issues

Turns out that the m1 & m2ATX PSU's dont protect against that. The OPUS 120w PSU specifically says "The PC does not reboot during engine start or cranking." <-- Which mine does specifically. The m1ATX that I have has a bunch of good features, but none of the opus.

Looks like Ill be getting a new PSU.

So many wiring schemes, hiding laptops under seats or systems in the trunk ... how about a good'ol tablet PC?

Got a bunch of these @ work. They are now basically obsolete, been sitting on storage shelves for ... 4 years? Still work, batteries too!

http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/products_pentablets.shtml?products/pentablets/stylistic_3400

Theyr'e actually not too shabby. 196RAM at most, could be problematic. 400MHz Pentium 3, a 6 gig hard drive that can be upgraded easily. I'll test a 60gig to see if it can recognize the geometry. They're nice. Big touchscreen and what you see is what you get. $hit, I could set this up to come out of my glovebox, on a fully poseable stand :eek:

I'm working on installing XP as it stands, the drive is blank.