Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

Seb...you can search for a music folder, give the play command to the entire folder - then you can go to my library and save the playlist.

Or you can go to Library, folders, and play. I have them organized as folders as well and I find it pretty convenient. The playlists that I made is either based on entire folders or by genre

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nah man. It locks it by default, but if you add a command to the file, it takes that away.

Its covered over at mp3car. Many guys worried about this, but turns out they made it default to save themselves legality issues. Theres a very simple override.

I actually dont find the prices too bad. Because it includes all the software needed to do everything. To get RR to run, LEGALLY, I had to purchase PowerDVD, as well as download many little tidbits (winamp, etc.) to get it all running together. Not that it's THAT much of a hassle, but having a 1 file install is a big plus to me. So even an open source solution isnt free without doing something illegal. Same thing, most Nav maps are around $200. I figure that $349 for all the features, plus tech support and free updates is a plus.

I liked RR, but it looked a little too unfinished for my taste. Trying to get as OEM as possible.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Yeah I am happy with my setup and will pay 124 or whatever the discounted price is for Centrafuse - the cheapest edition. I am not big on phones...

RR looks unrefined.

Will it lock the GPS as sold ...and the iguidance plugin will not be affected ?

It is stupid to lock GPS input and leave the music player still working. Moving images (TV, DVD) absolutely YES.

True, sorry I didnt mean the use of DVDs directly. I just meant that for example, to get all features in RR working, you have to spend money (unless you dont want certain features; but I dont like having buttons that dont work, its an OCD issue hah).

No, it will not lock GPS indefinitely. There is a simple command that unlocks this. And, I don't think that it will affect the iguidance plug-in.

Im thinking about trying Destinator, and just getting the full embedded app. I dont own iGuidance and would have to purchase it on top of the other price anyways.

Any idea what the BIG difference are between iG and Dest? I know that more people prefer iG, but why? Ive used iG but not Dest, so I cant give a testimonial.

Im quoting David, the main programmer/contact person for CF from the mp3Car forums:

"You can also use your own navigation solution such as MapPoint or iGuidance..."

A comeback to someone mentioning the price point being too high.

Looks like you can buy the SE version and use your own GPS software just like the RC5 release that you and I were/are using.

hah True. I guess I dont realize my own Hulk'ish strength. Looks like I dont need the CD anyways, but it really pisses me off that its broken.

Im struggling with my decision, I have my invidia DP and gutted UP and my v2 AP...do I:

A) Flash to Stg1 until I can install?

B) Wait until I can install and flash straight to Stg2?

I hear that many that go from Stg1 -> Stg2 don't really feel that much of a difference. So Im wondering if I should wait to go straight to Stg2 so that I my socks get knocked off...

Haha, its gonna bring me back to the day when I took delivery of my GT.

I was honestly scared of my car for probably a week. Never driven a turbo before, nor AWD. The combination = tears of joy & heart attack all at once.

Will I feel the diff between Stg1 & Stg2? It seems to have controversy. I mean, I understand that the gains are there, but it seems that they dont wow the guys like Stock -> Stg1 did.

You will feel it.

Alright. Then I need your help. I took the whole passenger side footwell apart and couldnt find the service connectors. I know what they look like, Ive used them in my two previous cars, but I couldnt find them.

Im probably just a retard. Can you pinpoint me to their location?

Alright. Then I need your help. I took the whole passenger side footwell apart and couldnt find the service connectors. I know what they look like, Ive used them in my two previous cars, but I couldnt find them.

Im probably just a retard. Can you pinpoint me to their location?

if u are referring to the connectors for when u reflash, they are located up at the top of the passenger footwell, somewhere around the edge of the carpet. You shouldn't have to remove anything to find them.

Thanks! Appreciated, in my two previous cars (Civic then Mazda3) I had to remove the kickpanel to find them. I took apart the whole footwell yesterday hah, but didnt happen to look right where you mention. Thanks again.

i asked Rich to sticky this. Afterall, it is the sole remaining Car PC thread where people help eachother and do not try to sell their setup.

Wow, that seems like so long ago now, but what a good thread that was....pause....NOT

Favor Request..

Can one of y'all with the 7" Xenarc screen measure the physical dimensions of the screen outside its bezel. I know the viewable surface is something like 6.5"x4", but I want to know how much more equipment is behind the plastic.

I have an idea for fabricating a movable screen, but I'd like to mock it up and I can't afford to get the screen yet.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

Xenarcs site gives the dimensions for the screen in their casing as 7.75W x 4.75H, which is about 197MMx121mm.

Info pulled from MP3Car.com is...

This is for the 7" Xenarc

Thanks to Homebrew

The dimensions are :

LCD: 108mm X 171mm

PCB: 120mm X 118mm

(notice that the PCB is taller but narrower than the screen)

(the buttons are soldered on the same PCB)

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7988&stc=1&d=1105189764 <---PIC

on this thread

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37468

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

Can't remember if I posted this before, but here is the screen installed.

That is very nice. I want my car to look that good. I am now cosidered not even installing the flip out touch screen we have in the garage. I think I could sell it and buy a touch screen that would look more integrated.

Here is the one we have right now that we have been waiting for time to install.

http://www.dualav.com/indashvideo/thumb/xdvd8181.jpg

I am considering something similar to the one below now. I know it is not a car PC but I have been followign this thread and you all have doen some amazing work. I just dont't have the time to do it.

http://www.dualav.com/indashvideo/thumb/xdvd8285.jpg

I don't think you need the time. The only part that takes time is the fabrication. There are a few solutions out there for flip-out screens that work with Car PCs.

One of my main objectives was to NOT have an exact OEM match. But the contrats is due mostly to the paint and i resent that.

I meant I do not have the time to research setting up and configuring the car PC. It is much easier jsut to pop in a new head unit and live with that.

I have not even done the research to see what I need to do since the stock stereo will still be in there when I install the unit in between the vents. I am sure there is plenty of info in this thread and on mp3car.com. I just haven't taken the time to ask someoen or do the research yet.

I do favor a more integrated look over the popout screen though.

I would have gone the route of the double din avic unit with the HDD if I had the money, but I also was worried about 1) having the factory radio in the car non-functional, and 2) theft

Well perhaps you can make a better suggestion? Our stock stereo sounds great after all the work we had put into it 18 months ago. We just want iPod/DVD and possibly Nav and we want the screen between the front vents.

I suppose if I read the last 8 million pages of this thread I would see there is an easy way to do that :lol:

We would have to sell the touch screen be already bought though. I will have to see what type of cash we can get for it.