Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

You guys think anyone else on this forum or Mp3car would be interested in an enclosure like this? I can make them for either side of the car.

BMac - Yes. If I wasn't such a DIY-er I would be very interested in something like this.

Subscribed. :) Been following for a while and hope to start my project soon. It'll be more similar to f1's because I'll be using a Toshiba Satellite 1105 with a dead battery and keyboard for my project. Theres alot of good info in this thread.

Eric

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks man I appreciate it.

f1anatic, the issue will be the current that you're pulling. Im almost positive that that cig lighter is on a 10amp fuse. Which, isn't bad, but if you pull 12 amps, you could blow it. I ran it on that for a while, then decided on going to a circuit with a 12amp fuse.

And I'll hold onto a box for ya, you prefer drivers side or passenger?

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

So here's the sneaky enclosure I've been talking about. [attach]32388

How did you attach the enclosure to the car? I ask because I have a sub enclosure much like yours in the same position. While it fit snug, the top heavy nature of the sub itself always landed the entire thing on its face somewhere else in the trunk. I finally had a welder friend tack weld a bolt to the trunk floor and drilled a hole in the bottom of the enclosure. Hasn't moved since...

ignore him, he'll go away.

How did you attach the enclosure to the car? I ask because I have a sub enclosure much like yours in the same position. While it fit snug, the top heavy nature of the sub itself always landed the entire thing on its face somewhere else in the trunk. I finally had a welder friend tack weld a bolt to the trunk floor and drilled a hole in the bottom of the enclosure. Hasn't moved since...

Wow, that's kind of extreme; but whatever works. Mine fits snug because of the carpet that goes around the whole edge, snugs it in. If this doesnt stay, Im going to put a piece of velcro on the back and on the trunk side to keep it in place. My computer is probably half the weight of your sub as well. Also, I mounted everything inside so that it isn't top/front heavy, it sits upright on its own.

I'm thinking about making more of these, not sure what the demand is.=

:whore: Assuming it isn't cost prohibitive, I'd get two just for the added storage potential. I've currently got the OEM nets there, and it's just dead space now.

Hadn't really considered putting the PC back there. Might need some tips on running wire all that way.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

:whore: Assuming it isn't cost prohibitive, I'd get two just for the added storage potential. I've currently got the OEM nets there, and it's just dead space now.

Hadn't really considered putting the PC back there. Might need some tips on running wire all that way.

If you were interested in running wires back there, I could walk you through it, maybe make a walk-thru for the forum with pictures. I'd be more than happy to help.

Second, how interested are ya? Should I make a thread devoted to this? If you're even mildly interested, I might start making some of these. Thanks for the interest!

If you were interested in running wires back there, I could walk you through it, maybe make a walk-thru for the forum with pictures. I'd be more than happy to help.

Second, how interested are ya? Should I make a thread devoted to this? If you're even mildly interested, I might start making some of these. Thanks for the interest!

I'd like to see a walkthrough of this sort as well. I'm thinking of puting a computer in the trunk as well.

I'd like to see a walkthrough of this sort as well. I'm thinking of puting a computer in the trunk as well.

Alrighty then, I'll do what I can. It's still frigid cold up in these parts, so I cant guarantee it lickity split quick, but Ill work on it...but then again, I did install my CarPC while it was snowing...hah

Yup, no shine. I might try something different next time. I was using it as a primer and then stepped back and said "hey, that looks pretty good!" I put it in the car, and it still looks good, so I kept it.

I don't have the time to experiment with colors right now, might soon.

Might not be a bad idea to make a separate thread. More details on materials and effort involved woud be nice as well pics of the inside and assembly.

I'm pretty interested, and I'm not in a hurry, so it all comes down to the cost/details. :icon_mrgr

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

underneath the motherboard? as in you have to remove the motherboard to access the HD? HDs have a much higher failure rate than mobos, seems like that could become a major pita if you have a vibration problem or get a bad drive. Course.. any time you have a bad drive its a pita.

design looks good btw, external psu can easily shave 4x6" of size off the case so thats a grand idea also

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

No Seb. I am not into CAD.

While making your own case is indeed the ultimate custom job for your custom PC; why not try to modify an existing case ?

I finally decided how I am mounting my laptop. It will stand flat on the trunk floor, in a box that I am fabricating out of an aluminium suitcase. It will have a cooling fan underneath; otherwise holes drilled for venting and what not. It will stand about 10 cm from the trunk floor and I will be able to put reasonably heavy stuff on top of the case.

So here's the sneaky enclosure I've been talking about. You saw the back of it in my previous post a few days ago. I took the fiberglass subwoofer enclosure idea a step further, by putting my CarPC inside instead of a sub. I will be routing the wire behind the trunk carpet tomorrow, and everything will be 100% hidden. The carpet match looks better in person, the flash (being night time) brought out the color difference much more than reality. The enclosure sits perfectly flush with the trunk wall and IMHO looks pretty darn OEM.

I have a slot load DVD Drive, so no tray coming out or anything. I'm thinking about making more of these, not sure what the demand is. I'll take pictures of the inside. All the computer components are properly mounted on standoffs, and the enclosure is vented with an exhaust fan at the top (as seen in pictures). Also, the carpet cover is attached via velcro that goes all the way around the enclosure, giving way to the interior. More pics to follow. What do you think? I'm pretty darn happy with the result.

[attach]32388[/attach]

[attach]32389[/attach]

[attach]32390[/attach]

[attach]32391[/attach]

It looks great!!

But, I would but a little grill over the fan for the finishing touch! :icon_wink

Glad to see everyone is making progress.

Seb, what is that avatar??

Made some progress myself. I got power for the touch screen from the cig lighter. I basically spliced into the power from that harness. Works well. I picked up a port replicator for the laptop with a mechanical on/off switch so now I can have a remote power button. Couple pictures:

image0001.thumb.jpg.5404b284ab024c9303243108fae50db9.jpg

image0002.thumb.jpg.cd43de09d7e7f35dc677ad2180dbf92e.jpg

I also picked up this USB GPS Receiver. Pretty cool, works great. It is the one found on mp3car.com.

image0003.thumb.jpg.afea09fe5bbcf9bd5896081c8ffc5cfe.jpg

Now I just have to relocate the trip computer/clock.

Well I know my carnetix power supply (which is broken and was sent back to the manufacturer) (i bought it broken apparently) has a feature that if the voltage drops below 12 V or it has been more than 3 days since you last turned on the car; it will shut off automatically. Yeah - they're called smart cause it monitors stuff !

With regards to my project; I am building up the case for the laptop to cover it in the trunk.

BMC, I have reached the conclusion that I should NOT power my setup from the cigarette lighter. Search on my issue with the Carnetix pwr supply in the POwer Supply section on MP3car.com. I will take it from the battery (thank you Weasel for running the wire for me).

I bought a 15 AMP fuse holder to wire it in at the battery for my power supply. however bad weather in CHicago has prevented me from doing meaningful work on the car. Attention is on the case in the trunk for now. Last major fabrication effort.

The power supply I am using says that it will draw <3mA in its idle state (when the car is off and the computer is either off or hibernating.

Now, I assume that means <3mA, but >1mA.... I don't think that will be a problem with the battery losing charge, but I just wanted an opinion.

Assuming 168 hours in a week (a safe assumption, I think :) ) your power supply will consume 168 * 0.003 = .5 amp-hours if you leave the car untouched for a week. I'm not sure how many amp-hours the stock battery is good for, but I'd guesstimate 40-60AH. So, you'll probably be fine under normal conditions. If you're going to leave the car sitting for more than a week, consider unplugging the (fuse for the) power supply just in case.

It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion on this though, I'm no expert.