Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

Anyone considering trying to retrofit an AppleTV box to be a CarPC? Someone already installed OSX on it and it turned out not to be that weak of a machine.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=220620&doc2=207274

For $300, it might be the cheapest/smallest solution available...if it can be made to run Windows.

Could be a viable option. A little on the slow end, wouldnt recommend it for something like GPS, but who knows!

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bakasama, I would argue a used pentab off eBay would be a much easier solution and cheaper too, depending.

Ok, so my Fujitsu Stylistic 3400, 2 days and 1 aggroed wife later finally has Windows XP running on it. For some odd reason the original hard drive would not take the install and I wasted 2 days until I figured this out. I now have a 60GB hard disk in there and XP runs like a champ! Slapped SP2 on it and got most of the stuff working by using Windows 2000 drivers off the Fujitsu website! I still have an issue or two to iron out but other than that it's up and running. I'll try and post some pics soon with what it looks like in the car unmounted of course and maybe play around with some docking ideas. I just thought of something. That thing is so skinny I could have it retract under the passenger seat or even in between the seats! Maybe have it come out suspended by a fully flexible arm, somewhat like the airline seats have them for first class. That'd be sweet. It only has 1 USB port into which I could plug in a long USB cable and hide a USB hub under the seat. The thing has IR and I have an IR keyboard. No cables and no mouse of course since it's touch screen.

So before venturing the way of the Apple TV or something, you guys don't forget there are pentabs out there for decent prices which are fully integrated, screen everything. I can verify Windows XP Service Pack 2 runs great on a 400MHz Pentium 3 with only 64MB of RAM. Of course, no services running in the background like antivirus or firewall, but who would want them anyway? Just do a remote scan every now and then off your main system at home, wirelessly with the car parked in the driveway :)

So before venturing the way of the Apple TV or something, you guys don't forget there are pentabs out there for decent prices which are fully integrated, screen everything. I can verify Windows XP Service Pack 2 runs great on a 400MHz Pentium 3 with only 64MB of RAM. Of course, no services running in the background like antivirus or firewall, but who would want them anyway? Just do a remote scan every now and then off your main system at home, wirelessly with the car parked in the driveway :)

Does it require a stylus, or will it respond to the tip of a finger?

Lemme know how well it's running when you get Centrafuse, Music, and Nav software all running at the same time. Not trying to knowck the Stylistic as a bad idea. I'm just concerned that 400mhz and 64mb of ram may be insufficient to run all this junk simultaniously with WinXP smoothly. Definitely easier to get Windows running on it than on the AppleTV.

Personally, I'm really digging the stealth ideal. I'd like the screen to at least look OEM, if not actually hide away completely. While I could run a dash mounted Xenarc/Liliput off of the Stylistic. I'll still need to stash it somewhere.

Also, I'm not into buying stuff on ebay. I realize that this is a personal limitation. But, I think I want as much stuff as possible to be new when I acquire it.

Currently, I'm leaning towards a macMini as the backend for my system. I won't have to purchase and assemble parts, and it seems to be the most PC I've been able to find for $600 (including mp3car.com). It's 1.6ghz dualcore, has a DVDROM, 1396, USB2, and every kind of wireless built into a 6.5x6.5 in. footprint. Yes, I could go cheaper, but I'd loose a lot in the process.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

The first set, is that possible?

The lilliput is 165mm wide and 105mm high. Could these screens really be 1/4" different on either side? That seems unreasonable, huge difference.

But, Ive been wrong before.

Right, thats how I did mine as well. Just seems unreasonable for a 1/2" difference on the same size (7" diagonal viewable) screen.

Still pondering how to make the design universal. I guess I need to buy a Xenarc...

hmm...I was toying with the idea of using the oem navi bezel with the screen up top and a slot load dvdrom from the PC below with the whole computer located right there in the cubby but it seems more and more like it'll be too tight of a fit. Whats the viewable space on the lilliput or xenarc display?

There's two options. Drivers side and passenger side. Ill take pics when I do mine. I'm running:

TO TRUNK:

1 x 10awg wire for +12v for the PSU

1 x 10awg wire for -GND for the PSU

1 x 18awg wire for ACC/Remote for the PSU

FROM TRUNK:

1 x 18awg RED/BLK wire for +12v & GND for the Screen

3 x USB extension cables

1 for Screen

1 for GPS Receiver

1 for USB Hub

Then of course there's the stereo wire for sound and the ground loop isolator.

I put an inline 2amp fuse in the power line for the Screen, and

I put an inline 15amp fuse in the power line for the PSU

Ill take pics of everything.

Nope, because right now, my wires are behind the radio. I pulled them from behind the glove compartment, behind the cubby & radio. Pulled it from hood into glovebox, then to the left down behind the radio, then ran it up the center under the console, etc.

Exactly what you'll be doing. (minus under the console if your PSU is behind the radio)

No worries, just ordered a few Xenarc cases. Should have a universal bezel next week maybe.

Sweet. By Universal, would they fit that transreflective lcd from mp3car.com since its based on the lilliput?

I can't get started on my carputer yet, but tax season is almost over and then I can start trying to decide where to put all my stuff.

I'll probably use the side storage spot too, but I have a wagon so it'll be a little different then yours, BMac. Unless I go for the storage unit above the spare donut, but I kinda wanna go full-sized spare.

Yes, it would fit that screen. That screen is actually just the 629 model with a special process to make it sunlight readible. My current screen is a 629, so my bezel would be made for the screen you speak of.

Keep me updated on your project and any way that I can help. I'm going to have A LOT of time on my hands this summer, so I guess I'll be doing a lot of this stuff.

Ahhh, gotcha. I know certain things matter with XPe, but does embedding iG and RR really matter? Shouldnt be any different than normal XP in that sense. I dont believe that RR or iG use any extra services (that XPe wouldnt have/need). Can't be sure though I guess.

Congrats on XPe though. I was thinking of running XPlite, but I read a few forums that said it can be more of a hassle than it's worth. Are your load times any better? I ask because some of the CF cards' data transfer rates are actually slower than my SATA drive's transfer rate.

Hoping for the best!

Alright took me like three days to get through all 12 pages. Some great info in here and very impressive setups. Just a question, why are you running the ground wires through the whole car when you can ground it in the trunk?

BMac, about how much will one of these bezels cost? I'm not sure if I want to take the time to fabricate my own and yours is pretty damn clean.

-Dan

Alright took me like three days to get through all 12 pages. Some great info in here and very impressive setups. Just a question, why are you running the ground wires through the whole car when you can ground it in the trunk?

BMac, about how much will one of these bezels cost? I'm not sure if I want to take the time to fabricate my own and yours is pretty damn clean.

-Dan

PM'd you.