Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

a little late on the draw here but:

http://www.darkfox1.com/gpsantenna.jpg

microsoft usb gps antenna, updates fairly quickly no problems through the window defroster, it was a pita to get in there tho :p

I have the garmin GPS antenna for my Kenwood system mounted close to that position. Mine is actually underneath the third brake light housing. Plenty of room and ZERO reception issues. Oh, and stealth FTW!:icon_bigg

ignore him, he'll go away.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the garmin GPS antenna for my Kenwood system mounted close to that position. Mine is actually underneath the third brake light housing. Plenty of room and ZERO reception issues. Oh, and stealth FTW!:icon_bigg

That is a good idea. Was it easy to get it under there?

Guys I will take any hints on how to run the wires to the trunk in my sedan. I tried over the week-end to do it by going straight from the centre console to the trunk but that 90 deg angle is a bitch. Any other ideas ? I have to go to either side to the doorstep and run it over there (peeling the entire carpet forward as much as possible) I imagine. Any other hints or suggestions ? All i was able to do it break that centre pop-it.

Well why didn"t you tell me directly that you volunteer to do this job for me bro ? I had to find it out from others :-( What kind of friend are you...Thanks for the offer though. Let me know when. :-)

Hey CarPC guys!

I've been following this thread for awhile and am impressed with the things you guys have pulled off-even though I understand only about 10% of it:)

Anyway, I was at a small 12v show in PA this weekend and came across a piece I thought was pretty cool. It looks like something I might give a try whem it ships in May.

Here's a link http://www.azentek.com/webpages/atlas.html

What do you think? price will be @ $2400 Is it worth it?

Thanks, Tom

OK, guys, I'm an idiot on this type of stuff... :redface:

What's "fishtape?"

Thanks! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks, sebberry. :) But ---->

f1 - Doh..... Er....is there a specific kind that the two of us should be looking for? A "stiffer" fish?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Sweet jebus, I'm away for a day and the NC goes all to he77. :icon_bigg A fish tape doesn't have to be metal, in fact, a fiberglass or epoxy fish will do nicely in this case. F1, no need to buy one, I have several. And why the questions about running wires to the trunk, were you not conscious during the 10 minutes it took me to get wire from your engine bay into the trunk, zip tied and trim put back together?:lol:

The biggest problem in the LGT running large amounts of wire is the bracing in the floor which creates several obstructions along the way. No big deal. We'll get it done.

F1, no need to buy one, I have several. And why the questions about running wires to the trunk, were you not conscious during the 10 minutes it took me to get wire from your engine bay into the trunk, zip tied and trim put back together?:lol:

The biggest problem in the LGT running large amounts of wire is the bracing in the floor which creates several obstructions along the way. No big deal. We'll get it done.

F1 loves :wub: Weasels.

At your earliest convenience please. I have almost had an aneurism looking at my car today. I want all that shit (wires) gone ...hidden...navi working...and the rear seat back in the car. Maybe cause I could put it to good use...maybe because I find it an eye sore without it. But I want my car back in one piece.

i put my shit together. It is phucking workin. 35% of it(navi and music). I have to reposition the PC...and install the TV module (today i just left it out). DVD actually works butif I am to reposition, i will need an external one. And OBD 2. I have to wait on final release of Centrafuse before I twitch my finger on the purchase button.

For some reason the auto switch function for the skin in iGuidance is not working. Annoying. I have to do it manually and that is like 5 clicks.

Have you guys noticed that when you start your car, your PC Starts twice?

Call me crazy, but when I switch to ACC, the comp turns on. Then, when you switch on the IGN, the computer boots up again. You can confirm this just by watching the system boot up on your screen.

Is there anything that gets power ONLY after ignition? Just worried that these many startups may cause trouble down the way.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

(a) If your computer is getting its power directly from the battery, I'm guessing that whe you start the car your battery voltage is dipping so low the computer reboots. You'd have to upgrade the battery or (more likely) the power supply to fix that.

(b) If (and this seems more likely) your computer is getting power from an existing line you tapped, I'm guessing that the ignition switch actually cuts power to that line when it engages the starter. You'd just need to tap a different line to fix that.

Hook a voltmeter up to the computer's power input and start the car. If the voltage drops but does not go to zero, then (a). If the voltage goes to zero (b).

If the voltage stays constant, then I'm stumped. But I'd blame your power supply in that case.

f1, what did you tap for your +12v (not the battery)

Nice setup. Is that CF 1.1 just released? I havent updated yet.

we brought a new +12V line into the cabin directly from the battery on it's own fuse.