LegacyGT.com

I'll confess

okay, so the Mazdaspeed3 was on my "short list" of possible next cars......

I take a test drive. immediately after getting into the driver's seat the whole drivers position felt awkward. I mean all the pedals had a distinctive offset to the right. it was apparent the footwell was offset right to make clearance for the front tire well.

all I can say is it felt wrong the whole time I was attempting to drive it. the center console is like a tower and encrouches significantly into the driver's righthand side. my knee was mashed against the side of the console in a very uncomfortable way. no matter where I moved the seat position is felt weird.

then the shifter was vague and it was difficult to judge intuitively where 1st gear was. twice I put it into 3rd gear thinking I was grabbing first gear.

the power was adequate at best. honestly, I never took the time to mentally study how the boost felt, what the lag was like, any noticable torque steer etc. all I could think of was how weird the driving position felt.

drove it all of 2 miles before telling the salesperson that the car just wasn't for me. got the normal B.S. about "you'll get used to it. it's just new to you. blah blah blah"

EDIT: guess what? yep, that's right......I bought one anyways. I know that seems strange. Its me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what else did you expect.....you've driven the real deal, you just can't fool your auto-instincts enuff to slip the fact that you were drivin' a mazda by your subconscious. it's like en-grained on your dna now dude, just gotta face it......:icon_wink

I was looking for a 3 Hatch when i discovered my Legacy. I found the legroom tight near the dash. Made it very awkward. Drove a 6 and really liked it. Just find the styling kinda dated for some reason. And yes they were getting over invoice on the MS3

it contrasts 180-degrees with my first impressions two plus years ago driving the Legacy GT for the first time. I knew within 100 yards of driving it that this was the car for me. It just felt right in so many ways.

I know what you mean. I spotted mine from 6,000 miles away. The first time I ever drove a Subaru was after I had already bought it, 51,000 fun-filled miles ago.

I also test drove a Mazda3 this weekend, albeit a regular MZ3s 5 door, not the Mazdaspeed. I was actually very impressed with it. Adequate power, but great steering feel and handling for a stock car. Obviously the expectation levels (and price!) were much lower for the regular MZ3 versus the Mazdaspeed version.

Having said that I'm very likely to go with an OB 2.5i as my new company car/daily driver. I drove SnoDork's new OB and it was a nice comfortable daily driver and so much more substantial that the MZ3. No where near as sporty, but I'm likely going to be spending some time behind the wheel in LA traffic, so comfy takes precedence over sporty. That and the ridiculous good deal that Reza over at Santa Monica Subaru is offering me :)

If I pick it up, I will truely be a Subaru whore. My 05 LGT, my wife's 06 Tribeca and the potential 07 OB!

looking for a replacement for ur GT....go test drive the 335i (note the 335ix is out in march as per dealer)

of course u pay premium for that stupid logo and brand snobbery but that engine sounds sweet

Not to hijack ur thread but Here's my experience driving the 335i

-Exterior looks = killer from front and side....rounded and wierd from back

-Dash on 335 = basic and lights up orange = yuck !!....(i'll take legacy dash anyday)

-Navi - available on stick unlike subaru where u hv to jump up to a SPEC B to get one or go the auto route. Apparently 5MT drivers dont need NAVI's according to SOA...WTF

-Leather - smelly and grainy but i liked red/black combo....i'll take subaru leather (smooth perforated) on bmw seats plz

-Seats - bmw seats were better adjustable and designed better than LGT seats from mid-back up)...LGT seats are pretty nice too.

-Center console - yuck bmw console sucks and looks cheap. LGT console anyday thx u

-Engine sound = freaking awesome...thet engine was so amazing a sound considering it was OEM. throaty but not to loud.

-power - plenty of power but considering the weight (believe me u can feel the weight driving that car)....not as fast as a stg2 LGT

-brakes - we all know LGT brakes are like wonder bread so in comparision

the brakes on a roller skate are better...why compare to that of 335 LOL

-suspension- years ahead of the lgt.....enuff said....compliant on fast, sharp turns without that "what'll happen next" feel that the lgt gives u after a fast turn with the stock suspension

-I enjoyed driving the 335i. the power delivery was quick yet it was very linear (nothing a tune from vishnu cant solve) and i kept longing for the violent 'throw me back' kind of power but i didnt get any. It was more like 'push u back in ur seat' kinda power.

The car felt heavy all the time, take a turn its heavy, launch it at a light its heavy, brake hard its heavy. Not as light and nimble as the lgt.

Then there was the traction control that would keep kicking in and prevent me from burning too much rubber. That robbed me of a lot of fun on that test drive. The sales lady later told me it could be turned off via programming the ecu.

Nice car but i'll pass cuz i hated

-that basic-looking dash and consle (considering it costs 45 K)

-the grainy smelly leather.(the leather on a brand new LGT doesn not smell bad at all compared to the stench of the bimmer)

-the overall value per dollar spent.

The pros of that car were the exterior, engine sound/exhaust, suspension and solid built quality.

The cons were weight, terrible interior, not enough power for the money and price.

With the LGT i get decent exterior, awesome engine, better interior and 'almost as good built quality' and money left to make it faster.

Too bad the Infiniti G35x doesnt come with 6MT.

immediately after getting into the driver's seat the whole drivers position felt awkward. I mean all the pedals had a distinctive offset to the right. it was apparent the footwell was offset right to make clearance for the front tire well.

I sat in the MS3 the other day at the auto show, and did not really notice this - it felt pretty good to me. The car that feels extremely awkward to me in this regard is the Porsche Cayman: the clutch is lined up with the center of the steering wheel, and it feels like the whole driving position is cocked way to the right. Way more than I've ever encountered before. Me no likey.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

-Navi - available on stick unlike subaru where u hv to jump up to a SPEC B to get one or go the auto route. Apparently 5MT drivers dont need NAVI's according to SOA...WTF

SOA figures if you're intelligent enough to use a manual transmission, you can probably handle a manual map.

SOA figures if you're intelligent enough to use a manual transmission, you can probably handle a manual map.

wow u must work for subaru.....cuz thats the dumbest reason ever!

Even if you had said they dont want 5mt drivers to press buttons with their shifting hand i would accept that to a certain extend...but 'manual map' in this day and age...u gotta be joking right. Maybe u should trade in ur cell phone for a sack of quarters.....i mean its not like u cant use a public pay phone while on the road...they're everywhere.

U try looking at a manual map while on the freeway or in downtown chicago at the morning rush hour. LOL...let me know how it went...if u make it back alive in 1 piece.

My new MIO works...can believe i waited so long to get one...but its worth it considering the time and money it saves....and it keeps me calm when i'm under a time crunch to get somewhere unfamiliar.

Hahaha, you guys wouldn't believe who the latest recipient of a MazdaSpeed 3 is... ;)
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Archived