LegacyGT.com

I'll confess

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks Merv. I know that I'm still welcome because all you Subies guys are fantastic and not exclusionary. I look fwd to joining the gang again at the next opportunity.

free rides in a Mazdaspeed3 for all those interested!!!! :icon_mrgr

Has the aftermarket grown @ all for the 2.3 turbo?

Post up a few pics;)

Hopefully you got it for under 25K.......

truthfully, I haven't (yet) researched deeply the aftermarket support for the MS3/MS6. I do know there's at least one FMIC upgrade available. Also, there are GT30R & GT35R turbo "bolt-on" kits available.

I sincerely hope (and pray) to avoid the pitfalls of major modding this time around. My plan - if I can stick to it - is to wait for the new Cobb APs coming out for the Mazdaspeeds and be happy with that alone. God willing.

I will post up some pics soon.

got a base Sport model (no options) for $22,840 MSRP. No mark-up.

I'm confused, you hated the driving position, pedals, ect, yet ended up with one?

I didn't find 1st tricky to grab at all? :iam: Third pulls like a mofo though. :lol:

FYI.....get the engine mounts redone ASAP, they snap like pretzels.

Don't mind the date, the camera's batt was just charged (resets time/date).

http://a371.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/32/l_eab1c09f225baa8a33a8d184e0114f22.jpg

http://a938.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_dcc9833321162a0ce2cfd16a858a8c31.jpg

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

wow, that engine's got a gangsta lean!

Anyways, there is SOME aftermarket support.

swaybars are the same as the regular Mazda 3.

TurboXS just tested and sent to production a DP setup. it alone made 35whp on their dyno apparently.

Cobb is developing products and they already have preliminary data for it.

ATP has GT30/35 turbos for them already too.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

yeah, I'm clearly a conflicted man! :lol:

my first test drive on Sunday felt terrible. but in hindsight, I think it was a mental block for reasons that I can't elaborate on here (hint - my ex gave me a ride to the dealership).

yesterday's test drive felt pretty good. I did study the pedal position closely on the ride into work today and do feel there's an alignment difference with my frame of reference - the LGT.

if you look at the driver's seat on the MS3, the mid-line of the seat aligns perfectly with the clutch pedal. so all 3 pedals are biased to the right half of the driver's seat.

since I don't have my LGT anymore, I can't go look at this. but my memory tells me the brake pedal is closer to the mid-line of the driver's seat on the LGT. I could just be nuts about this whole thing.

I did notice today that the MS3 brake and gas pedal are really closely spaced - ideal for heal-toeing. If I knew how to do that! :icon_bigg

FYI.....get the engine mounts redone ASAP, they snap like pretzels.

http://a371.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/32/l_eab1c09f225baa8a33a8d184e0114f22.jpg

http://a938.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_dcc9833321162a0ce2cfd16a858a8c31.jpg

got a source for aftermarket engine mounts???? :) No - no modding allowed!!! :mad:

Not modding, its preventative maintianence!!

yeah - right! that's the ticket!

1. I need to prevent the engine mounts from snapping

2. I need to prevent detonation with a new FMIC

3. I need to prevent boost creep with a freer exhaust

4. I need to prevent brake fade with better pads

hey, I'm getting the hang of this preventive maintenance stuff! :icon_mrgr

actually, the stock suspension and brakes feel GREAT!

right now, my plan consists of nothing more than waiting for the new Cobb AP to come out for the MS3. then based on what, if any exhaust mods are required to support Stg 1, Stg 2, etc. I will probably do that.

meaning I don't plan to change the stock turbo!

got a source for aftermarket engine mounts???? :) No - no modding allowed!!! :mad:

Hockey pucks with a bolt through them work great. At least for racing. Or so I've heard. I have one hockey puck mount on my RX-7, but I have yet to actually drive the car.

Why not just go for an Evo MR? With all the mods that you put into your car, you might as well have it kick ass from the start.

I'd kill for a charcoal MR, but my wife would divorce me if she had to ride around in one of those.

i gotta say after riding in my friend's MS6, i really liked it

The suspension that the Mazda's have out of the box has always been terrific (MS3 included). The MS6 is a heavy pig though.

As far as the engine mounts, I believe they used aluminum to save weight. The MS6's should be the same size with no issues (steel I think).

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Hey guys,

Yes, I'm still lurking on this forum. Probably will for the rest of my life! :lol:

I will post up some pics here by this weekend.

Getting a clear bra put on today to preserve that factory fresh paint.

I did research the MS3 engine mount breaking. Sure enough, a total of three (3) cars have cracked or fully broken their engine mounts. Some are claiming a weak bracket design while the other speculation is improper torquing of the bolt.

Either way, lots of guys are buying an aftermarket rear engine mount that sells for $90 bucks shipped. So you know me - I already bought it! Mod #1 :icon_bigg

So far my overall driving impressions are pretty good. There's no doubt its nearly impossible to launch hard or fast in 1st gear. The FWD spins those tires very easily. In fact, if you plant you foot on the 1-2 shift they will spin again easily.

From 3rd gear on this car pulls darn hard. I'd say on par with a Stg 1 LGT.

The few dyno plots I've seen for a stock MS3 don't look like a traditional boosted Subie. I mean they don't rise, peak and fall like a mountain profile. It looks much like a decent powered NA engine - virtually flat from 3k to 5.5k rpms. then it falls like a rock. I don't know why they made the redline up to 6.7k rpm.

cheers guys!

Archived