LegacyGT.com

New Bilstiens and pinks have arrived!

turbo2nr

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what does that mean? i don't need anymore drama. :lol: bosco

Well, I guess you could still order the struts/shocks for the L-Spec-B...??..but the application for these to fit the 05-06 LGT will be pulled soon untill they come up with a solution.....which means they will make the right struts very soon....few months??

Ask Steve,the tech at Bilstien in CA...... steve.brightbill@bilstien.com

Or Keith, the tech at NC keith.robertson@bilstien.com

Now that you have this info...you'll always be able to grab a set, don't worry.

Well, I guess you could still order the struts/shocks for the L-Spec-B...??..but the application for these to fit the 05-06 LGT will be pulled soon untill they come up with a solution.....which means they will make the right struts very soon....few months??

BUT, you can't use the JDM springs with the USDM style top-hat...so I feel lucky to be where I am now.

Ask Steve,the tech at Bilstien in CA...... steve.brightbill@bilstien.com

Or Keith, the tech at NC keith.robertson@bilstien.com

Now that you have this info...you'll always be able to grab a set, don't worry.

can i use these with the tophats i just ordered and my Tein H-Tech springs? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Sure, why not?

If you don't like the ride height.....you have a couple options to balance the car.

sorry but i'm not quite unstanding post 83. i have the Bilstein HD from Allshock i ordered the top hats from Liberty i want to use my Tein springs is all this going to work together on my LGT? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

sorry but i'm not quite unstanding post 83. i have the Bilstein HD from Allshock i ordered the top hats from Liberty i want to use my Tein springs is all this going to work together on my LGT? bosco

Yes, it will all fit together just fine. What remains to be seen is the amount of travel on the front struts and the wheel gaps front and rear.

ignore him, he'll go away.

You'll be fine. These struts were obviously designed for slightly lower springs than our LGTs came with.

I believe the pink springs that came with these shocks lowered the car around .6"-.9".

If you have similar springs, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Maybe a little creative spacing with rubber, or moving your battery to the trunk, or pulling out your spare, etc. will make you happy, if you are that anal about the fender gaps.

***Remember...nobody can see all four fender gaps at once....who cares??

I mean, it's constantly changing. We carry around up to what, 130lbs of gas, sometimes stuff in the trunk, passangers, etc. Don't get too obsessed with that stuff. Next month, you'll throw on a big FMIC and then have to start all over, or maybe add a big subwoofer, or????

Lighweight Odessey battery can shave 25lbs on the left front, or you could put the battery on the right, to chage weight even more...tons of options with stuff like that. I think I ran a PC-525, or 535....little thing, around 9lbs...Awsome battery!

A set of headers can reduce the front end weight, then the turbo-back exhaust also reduces weight on the pass. side/front....etc, etc.

AND, not to mention....are our cars even balanced to begin with??

what's going on here??

-------

1) VE3-B831-H0 (FRONT RIGHT) $174.85 Does not fit Outback or air suspension.

Must use Spec B top hats (not included).

1) VE3-B830-H0 (FRONT LEFT) $174.85 Does not fit Outback or Air Suspension.

Must use Spec B top hats (not included).

2) BE5-B832-H0 (REAR RIGHT&LEFT) $90.35 Does not fit Outback or air suspension.

-------

I say :cool: ....$480 for Bilsteins. Wonder what app these are....similar to JDM GT (not Spec B)?

$480? Doesn't that add up to $530?

It may all fit together, but IMHO it's questionable whether it "works" any better than using stiffer springs with the stock struts.

Per the note, the HD struts are meant to be used with stock springs, which tells me that the dampening won't be any better than the stock strut, which is not good enough for Teins and other stiffer springs.

When I started reading this thread, i thought that I may have an answer to the strut question for the S Teins on my workbench, but I'll still wait for Koni or some other stouter new strut. I suspect that these HDs will not dampen a stiffer spring very well after they wear in a bit.

These HDs look like a nice replacement for a stock LGT suspension setup, though.

Ron

Per the note, the HD struts are meant to be used with stock springs, which tells me that the dampening won't be any better than the stock strut, which is not good enough for Teins and other stiffer springs.

Just a guess on your part, no better/worse than anyone else's opinion at this point.

For the aftermarket Bilsteins, 'HD' is their OE replacement. 'Sport' is the firmer version for enthusiasts. Like this HD < Sport < PSS9 (coilovers)

But who's to say HD isn't the same as the JDM OE? AT this point its all conjecture and even the manufacturer doesn't seem to have any real info.:lol: We'll know for certain in about a week when at least two sets are installed.

ignore him, he'll go away.

It may all fit together, but IMHO it's questionable whether it "works" any better than using stiffer springs with the stock struts.

When I started reading this thread, i thought that I may have an answer to the strut question for the S Teins on my workbench, but I'll still wait for Koni or some other stouter new strut. I suspect that these HDs will not dampen a stiffer spring very well after they wear in a bit.

These HDs look like a nice replacement for a stock LGT suspension setup, though.

On many applications the Bilstein HD and Sport models share IDENTICAL valving. In SOME cases the Sport versions are valved even more aggresively. The sport versions utilize a shortend shaft for aggresive lowering springs. This tells me that the HD replacement will be valved more aggresively than the OE unit it will be replacing even if it designed to retain the stock or similar to stock ride height.

Just a guess on your part, no better/worse than anyone else's opinion at this point.

But who's to say HD isn't the same as the JDM OE? AT this point its all conjecture and even the manufacturer doesn't seem to have any real info.:lol: We'll know for certain in about a week when at least two sets are installed.

Not hardly a "guess": http://www.bilstein.com/ProductDescriptions.pdf

Plus, I have already made this mistake with a previous vehicle, trying to use KYB GR-2 struts with Eibachs. Rears were OK, fronts were oingo-boingo after the struts wore in after a thousand miles or so.if these were port Bilsteins damping would be better.You pay your money, and you take your chances, but I'll bet the comments will be the same as the complaints of those folks who used aftermarket or JDM springs with the stock USDM LGT struts.

Ron

To me, it seems like the exact same farking thing, with the same part number, as the JDM Legacy, AND the USDM Spec-b. SAME-SAME!! BOTH USE THE JDM style TOP HAT. Same strut, same part number. Bilstien only makes ONE, thats "1" strut for a legacy turbo. It is what it is, and that's all that it is.

Not so fast. What do you mean JDM Legacy?

If you refer to OEM Bilsteins - I know personally (and have seen with my own eyes) six different flavors of them. Three GT revisions and three SpecB revisions. Mechaincally are the same (same top hats, external shape, etc), the difference is in damping.

One thing that makes me wonder is the price. New OEM USDM SpecB Bilsteins are ~$1150-1200 form discount dealers in the US. And the price does not have "SpecB premium" because new OEM Bilsteins in Japan cost roughly the same, even little bit more. The HDs are ~$500. It seems to me that Subaru in general does not markup their parts much, at least not that much.

Hard to tell really, given how misinformed and confusing Bilstein USA seems to be about these dampers (vide the shock travel). It's interesting that there are many negative opinions about Bilsteins HD for different applications (cars), while I've not heard about yet Subaru OEM Bilstein failure.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to have such an affordable option for suspension upgrade (so much needed given how crappy stock suspension is), it would be really good to know where the difference in price comes from.

On many applications the Bilstein HD and Sport models share IDENTICAL valving. In SOME cases the Sport versions are valved even more aggresively. The sport versions utilize a shortend shaft for aggresive lowering springs. This tells me that the HD replacement will be valved more aggresively than the OE unit it will be replacing even if it designed to retain the stock or similar to stock ride height.

Well, here in 'lil old Australia I had two (2) choices when ordering the Billies from the Australian distributor:

• Sport - these are the ones I have - they are designed for lowering up to 25mm & are valved a gazillion times firmer than the OEM KYB pogo-sticks. They're paired with Whiteline Control springs & my 2.5i dropped by the following amounts (wheel centre to arch):

Front: Was 383mm Now 356mm Dropped 27mm

Rear: Was 376mm Now 359mm Dropped 17mm

The part numbers are:

BILSTEIN - B6 SPORT
(model number 006710)

Left front: VE3-B830

Right front: VE3-B831

Rear: BE5-B832

• Sprint - these are designed for lowering greater than 25mm. The shock shaft is shortened & the valving more agressive to prevent bottoming out. They are only necessary if you want to lower your car (too much :icon_wink ).

At no stage was I ever offered an "HD" model. I have no idea what you guys are talking about :lol:

Archived