LegacyGT.com

2007 manual Passat wagons

krzyss

From another board:

"Until a month or so ago, the Passat wagon wasn't available with the 6-speed manual. That has changed, except that it is by what VWOA calls "Sold Order Only." That means it's a factory build, with an 8-12 week lead time. Expect to pay a deposit. You will not find this on the VWOA web site, nor on Edmunds. The model code is 3C55K2, and this has only been available since 10/20/06, so YOUR dealer may not have heard of it, so be persistent.

In answer to several inevitable questions, yes, the MT wagon can be ordered in any configuration and with any accessories in the VWOA catalog, except that it's only available in the 2.0T model. And, yes, you do get a price that reflects $1075 less for the MT, just like the sedan. "

Why Subaru cannot do this with Legacy GT wagon?

Krzys

Insane. One company quietly introduces a build-to-order option, and another company quietly kills their model, and offers no such option.

Obviously there is slight demand for something... I guess we might be saying goodbye to some folks as they get Passat 5MT 4-motion R-GTs, or A4 Quattro Avants, or something, instead of Legacy GT 5MT wagons.

The UHF Stupid award goes to SOA on this one.

From the "wheel of fish" gameshow:

Spin the 'wheel of fish'! (wheel spins and stops) Red Snapper. Very Nice.

You can keep your Red Snapper, or you can choose... What is in the Box!

Contestant: I'll take what's in the Box.

Open the Box!

You've won.... NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

STUPID!!! YOU SO STU_PID!!!

(now replace the contestant with SOA, and replace the red snapper with the Legacy Wagon...)

not holding my breath. I for one plan on keeping my GT for awhile. If I do get another AWD, I'll consider the passat 4motion in a 5 or 6 speed.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

This is good news, because the passat is bigger than the A4, which is really too small for us.

I guess I have to start checking into the passat in a serious way to replace my LGT when the time comes.

Does anyone know the schedule for the next passat refresh? I think the current one is a little on the heavy side.

OTOH, do you think the A4 Avant is going to get bigger? I really love the audi styling, but the car itself is a little small on the inside, and too heavy overall.

This used to be a big selling point for subaru, both great interior size and low weight, back in the old days . . . (pre 2008)

Next A4 is supposed to get bigger.

Current Passat wagon is too ungainly and big for my tastes.

Yea that's the problem. The A4 needs to get bigger inside and lose weight at the same time.

The passat might as well be an outback with only lowering springs and better looks.

:lol::(

Oh well. I could go back to an A4, no prob. Nice car, just a fat pig.

I would consider Audi/VW A4 wagon if they released it with quattro/4motion AND a diesel engine. That would be ideal for me. I like the sport wagons but have never been to the tracks. But a diesel engine would be ideal for the majority of my driving needs. Lots of short trips with the occassional super long trip.

Cheers,

Mike

I've had a VW before and just from the crappy service and reliability problems I had, I swore that it would be my last one. I'm never buying VW again and so far reliability still sucks.

You're not alone. However I had a 98 A4 from new and I just got rid of it for my RX-8. That car was almost as reliable as my 95 legacy wagon. I spent just about $10k on both cars over their 8.5 and 10 year life spans, and what brought the A4 up to that level was a turbo replacement - the wastegate was broken, simple problem but it was not replacable - new turbo =\

Also, on the legacy, we spent $3500 on it in the last 6 mo we had it. Finally said enough is enough when presented with another $2000 estimate for work it needed done.

So, in my case Audi = Subaru for reliability. I do understand I'm one of the lucky ones :):):)

there are no current W8s.

Newest VR6 3.6 makes as much power as old 4.0 W8, if not even more.

Krzys

PS My original point was that VW accepts custom orders to sell cars while Subaru limits options to improve margins. Additional point might be made that better margins do not help if you do not make a sale.

PLEASE do yourself a favor, and don't by ANY car with the W8. I have two friends with these cars, and they are very complex without a matching reliability. These cars are going to be very expensive to maintain after warranty, as one of our freinds with the W8 wagon is finding out.

Avoid the W8.

If VW brings the DSG to the Passat 3.6 builds I may get one. Their slushbox is pretty harsh and there is no MT option for the 3.6.

I could even go for the sedan since the trunk is quite large. Or the wagon. A 6MT or DSG would be pretty sweet.

Oh, and standard 2din radio so upgrades don't require an EE degree to pull off.

I not big on German cars... but this is a good news!

FCUK YOU SOA!!!!!!!!!!!

I love German cars except for one big problem, the long term ownership experience sucks. They're unreliable, parts are huge $ and the dealers often suck (well, Audi and VW dealers do). The Passat wagon is very nicely designed though.

SOA needs to get their collective head out of their collective ass and give us a Spec B wagon. At least bring the LGT manual back.

Saw the current Passat wagon, a W8 ....sounded schweeeet from behind at the stoplight. Lost it's appeal when I found out how poorly it performed. Still.. if the quality were uppped, I wouldn't mind going back to a German car again.

Um, the current Passat is NOT a W8. The W8 was put in the previous gen Passat for a couple of years and if they sold 1500 of them in this country, I'd be surprised.

The current gen Passat has either a 2.0T (supposed to be a nice engine) or a 3.6L narrow angle V6.

I agree. I hate unreliable cars, so I don't see buying anything German anytime soon... perhaps BMW if I became rich....

I'll keep my wagon for long time, actually buy another 05 one... maybe if I am crazy I may buy a 2007 one and do 6MT swap at some point.

You're not alone. However I had a 98 A4 from new and I just got rid of it for my RX-8. That car was almost as reliable as my 95 legacy wagon. I spent just about $10k on both cars over their 8.5 and 10 year life spans, and what brought the A4 up to that level was a turbo replacement - the wastegate was broken, simple problem but it was not replacable - new turbo =\

Also, on the legacy, we spent $3500 on it in the last 6 mo we had it. Finally said enough is enough when presented with another $2000 estimate for work it needed done.

So, in my case Audi = Subaru for reliability. I do understand I'm one of the lucky ones :):):)

I had a 98 A4 before getting my 05 LGT wagon. The car was fun to drive and handled great (1.8T with sport suspension, wish the LGT felt as good) but something significant broke every 2 months or so. I did most of the work on it myself so it got to be a real PITA. It had 120K on it when I traded it in.

My wife has a '99 Passat V6 and that has been pretty good overall. In fact my LGT has probably had more problems at this point (in twice for the cooling fan, in twice for the cruise control, check engine light for the camshaft oil code).

I agree. I hate unreliable cars, so I don't see buying anything German anytime soon... perhaps BMW if I became rich....

I'll keep my wagon for long time, actually buy another 05 one... maybe if I am crazy I may buy a 2007 one and do 6MT swap at some point.

I plan on buying either an 87-89 911 in the next few years or maybe a 73 BMW 3.0CS. The Porsche is probably a better long term bet though. This would be a 3rd car so if it's not ultimately reliable, I can live with that. 911's do last a long, long time though.

I think my wife's Passat will get replaced with the new Hyundai SUV next year.

PLEASE do yourself a favor, and don't by ANY car with the W8. I have two friends with these cars, and they are very complex without a matching reliability. These cars are going to be very expensive to maintain after warranty, as one of our freinds with the W8 wagon is finding out.

Avoid the W8.

Huh. And the W16 must be twice as complex. I guess I'll have to cancel the order on that Bugatti...:icon_mrgr

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived