LegacyGT.com

CAI owners, does "shoosh" drive you crazy?

GTTuner

When I installed my CAI, I was horified at the amount of hissing from the intake that was audible inside the cabin. I like the brief, but subtle BOV sound, but light throttle hiss and flutter was annoying. YES, I am getting old and I like a quiet car.:icon_wink

OK, now to my point; I have been working on a way to contain the noise to the inner fender area. Problem is there is a direct path from the airbox area, through the fender well, into the intake plenum for the HVAC system.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I will show you what I have done. To this point, I have reduced the cabin intrusion of the noise at least 50-75% with no loss in flow according to my data logs. In fact, IAT's seem better, or at least more stable with this set up.

I am still in the design stage, but I have attained favorable results and am working to refine the set up.

YES ,OLD MAN TIRED OF LOUD CARS BUT STILL LIKES TO GO FAST:icon_bigg

( Isn't 40 considered old? )

Not all intakes are created equal when it comes to sound.....

I have had 2 different HF panel filters & 3 dif intakes on mine & the AVO intake that is currently in the car is also the most quiet:):)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I would not go that direction though if it is being used with the VF40;)

I am assuming you mean CAI. I understand that your opinion is that people who have VF40s should not get a CAI, as you have mentioned it more than once.

Since I don't know anyone else at this point posting quantifiable results, other than Jon, on a stock turboed stage 2 setup, I out on a limb here. :) That being said, however, I have most definitely seen, felt, logged, measured greater performance since the addition of my AEM CAI.

Certainly, and obviously, such an intake will provide substantially higher rewards on a bigger-turbo setup. But for those of us who choose, for whatever reason, to develop a stock turbo configuration the addition of smaller dollops of whp per mod is understood. It is the cumulative combination that counts.

From a stoplight, for example only :icon_wink, my little VF40 easily does 0-60mph in 4.6sec, brake torqueing to only 2800 now (thank you wukindada), since the AEM. I haven't done a lot of testing as I've only had it on a few days, but I have also logged 0-100mph in 11.9sec, also not shabby. This is all with just a TDC eTune. My AMS dyno tune is coming up in a couple of weeks and, who knows, it may work even better after that. :icon_mrgr

Just providing another perspective, and my HO.

Seeee.....

Glad the 2800 is working out for ya, get that tranny cooler;)

Your car is Tuned, that is the most important item. To many owners go out & install a intake without any tuning that can be disaster....

Ince tuned I would say a K&N or the AEM would be fine on a VF40. The AVO intake can be used also but it is a bit much as far as the Perrin MAF......:rolleyes:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone is interested, let me know and I will show you what I have done. To this point, I have reduced the cabin intrusion of the noise at least 50-75% with no loss in flow according to my data logs. In fact, IAT's seem better, or at least more stable with this set up.

Well,

I've been waiting and waiting for more on this. You must have either been serious about being asked, (I'm asking :)) or it didn't pan out. Either way let that other shoe drop....

Not that I really need any noise attenuation, I don't find it makes any I think is objectionable. I am curious, however, about the noise conduit you reference.

One comment, I check the IAT's all the time and I find the difference between outside (read by the dash thermometer readout) and ecuExplorer's logging to be no more than about 1 or 2 degrees while driving. This is in contrast to the stock intake's usual 5 to 7 degree increase.

For those who still question the value of the AEM, six or seven degrees of cooler IAT's must amount to a little more power, other considerations aside.

I would like to know of your solution. The AEM CAI is on my short list of future mods, but I don't want to explain to the wife why it needs to get louder to make more power. Quieter has its advantages, every once in awhile:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I love the sound of my K&N typhoon. It seems to pull harder and it works even better with my TDC stage 1 map for the typhoon.:icon_bigg
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

For those who still question the value of the AEM, six or seven degrees of cooler IAT's must amount to a little more power, other considerations aside.

I dont think it really matters all that much once it goes through the turbo.

If only the IAT was in the intake manifold instead of the maf.

That is true. Temperature at the intake would be more meaningful, but I think a compressor is more efficient compressing cold air than hot air.

Since we have a pretty small compressor, I think cold air at the compressor inlet would make a small difference in performance.

Since the compressor is so small and if you are stage 2 it is probably working on the limits of its efficiency range, its probably generating more than enough heat to easily negate the 5-7 degree difference in temp.

Please post pics, I'd be interested to see.

Since the compressor is so small and if you are stage 2 it is probably working on the limits of its efficiency range, its probably generating more than enough heat to easily negate the 5-7 degree difference in temp.

Extending this logic would have one conclude IAT's have no bearing on performance regardless of their value. :confused:

Not. :icon_bigg

What CAI do you have installed?

Sorry guys. I thought no one actually was interested in quieting it down. ^^^ I have the K&N.

I am ready to finish off the project. I have tried some different materials and have settled on a few options. It is in prototype stage, but it works good.

Please note, outside the car it sounds the same! Inside it's so quiet if the radio is on low you will not hear a thing! I'll see if I can get some pic's put up for tomorrow. (I'm so beat tired today I might not get on it tonight)

Extending this logic would have one conclude IAT's have no bearing on performance regardless of their value. :confused:

Not. :icon_bigg

IATs that are measured so far away from the engine are of little to no consequence, especially before going through a turbo and intercooler. Its sole purpose is to facilitate the calculation of air going in.

IATs that are measured so far away from the engine are of little to no consequence, especially before going through a turbo and intercooler. Its sole purpose is to facilitate the calculation of air going in.

So you're saying that when you compress 10 degree hotter air 2 times it does not get 20 degrees hotter than before? :munch:

Been awhile since I've looked at heat of compression(abdiatic?), but I bet it's a bit more then 20 degrees hotter:lol:

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Archived