LegacyGT.com

CAI owners, does "shoosh" drive you crazy?

GTTuner

So you're saying that when you compress 10 degree hotter air 2 times it does not get 20 degrees hotter than before? :munch:

What Im saying is that there are too many variables between the IAT sensor and the engine to say with certainty that a 5-7 degree change in temp at the sensor will net an appreciable difference at the engine.

• 2 weeks later...
hey gttuner, you got those pics yet?been checking this thread for a while and have'nt seen anything. i'd like to know what you did at least, so i can try it on my intake. thanks
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

Finnally have gotten around to a quick look at the sound deadening for my intake. There have been a few people inquiring how I quieted mine down. Keep in mind this won't eliminate it. It will drop the interior sound level dramaticly.

The first pic is my basic K&N as first installed. Next I built a lid out of the material shown. I added foam to the underside to absorb sound. Notice how the lid has a narrow piece attached to it, this helps completes the seal around the K&N shield. The object here was to keep the engine bay sealed off.

Next are some shots inside the upper fender rail. You can see the square structure which runs to the cowl area. This area needs to be plugged/filled with deadener. Thick closed cell foam will work well (hobbyshop or christmastree shop) , pack it in there tight, then cover the holes ( one cover is in place). If your ambitious, try some minimal expanding foam...just be careful you don't over do it. Another good stuffer for these areas are car wash sponges that have a terry cloth cover. Any parts or dept store sells them.

Now look again into the fender area, notice the white stuffer in place between the fender liner and the actual outer sheet metal. That needs to be stuffed tight. Around the lower area behind the RF headlight I also put stuffer in there. The filter element is now basicly isolated to the rf corner of the bumper cover.

Looks primitive, but once the lid is in place nothing is seen. The sound you hear with the windows up is mostly entering throught the HVAC plenum on the passenger side. The object here is to block off every conceivable path from the air box area leading to the HVAC plenum. It makes a big difference.:icon_wink

For those of you who asked me specifics, PM me if I missed anything.

OK, pic's are too big to upload. Sit tight till I reformat them to 1024x640!

Yes, I am a douche! I have to retake the pictures. I thought I could reformat them on the PC, but I guess not. Pics will arrive asap.:icon_cool

Microsoft Power Toys image resizer FTW!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

ignore him, he'll go away.

The first pic is my basic K&N as first installed. Next I built a lid out of the material shown. I added foam to the underside to absorb sound. Notice how the lid has a narrow piece attached to it, this helps completes the seal around the K&N shield. The object here was to keep the engine bay sealed off.

Next are some shots inside the upper fender rail. You can see the square structure which runs to the cowl area. This area needs to be plugged/filled with deadener. Thick closed cell foam will work well (hobbyshop or christmastree shop) , pack it in there tight, then cover the holes ( one cover is in place). If your ambitious, try some minimal expanding foam...just be careful you don't over do it. Another good stuffer for these areas are car wash sponges that have a terry cloth cover. Any parts or dept store sells them.

Now look again into the fender area, notice the white stuffer in place between the fender liner and the actual outer sheet metal. That needs to be stuffed tight. Around the lower area behind the RF headlight I also put stuffer in there. The filter element is now basicly isolated to the rf corner of the bumper cover.

Looks primitive, but once the lid is in place nothing is seen. The sound you hear with the windows up is mostly entering throught the HVAC plenum on the passenger side. The object here is to block off every conceivable path from the air box area leading to the HVAC plenum. It makes a big difference.:icon_wink

pretty much the exact thing i was going to do. in my tread i said i was thinking of making a box out of aluminium that the filter would go into, but i think that would be to much of a PITA. i have access to all kinds of sheet metal but to make something that can be easy to mount and work like i want is not worth it. i think it's time to go getto on this project!

never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

you know... it looks like maybe the aem cai is a little better sealed to the fender(less gaps) area. do you guys think thats why people have said that it's not as loud as the typhoon?

+1 on the red intake tube. It looks like you licked that engine compartment clean! Looks cool. And thanks for making my engine compartment look like pig pen.:lol:

Pics are up, finally.

I considered metal at first but it was not easy to work with for the type of shape I needed for the K&N. I think this stuff, along with the 3/4' foam bonded to the underside, dampens sound well. In these pic's I have the wash pad down in the wheel well. I still am going to get that rf tire and wheel house shield off to complete it with the final foam.

After everything is "stuffed", add another cover to the area to seal off the remaining area as in the third photo.

you know... it looks like maybe the aem cai is a little better sealed to the fender(less gaps) area. do you guys think thats why people have said that it's not as loud as the typhoon?

Probably that and the fact that the filter itself is physically lower in the car than the Typhoon.

One thing about it that you cannot see from SeeeeeYa's pictures is that the black metal shield has gaps ALL around it between the body of the car and itself. On my car they are about 1 inch wide in some places.

Also, is the Typhoon REALLY that loud? I hear people on this forum saying that the AEM is quiet but I don't really agree. On my car it's not quiet but it's not obnoxious either. It's actually a little louder than I was anticipating although I'm not complaining. I just didn't think it was as quiet as I was lead to believe. "Quiet" is pretty subjective though and means different things to different people so maybe that's just it.

Sounds like a solid theory. You could still quiet it down some by stuffing the structure.

well i tried out your idea. i think its quieter than it was before but not yet 80% quieter. i think i still need to stuff some more foam in some holes. wife rode in the car after and even she thought it sounded better. by the way gttuner what kind of material did you use for your lid.i used some spare aluminium and glued some foam to the inside.

there is an area inside the wheel house behind the wheelhouse splash shield and the fender that needs to be stuffed, also, pull the corner piece off the cowl cover on the passenger side and block off the square reinforcement also.

Material was NAPA JV128 gasket material.

Archived