LegacyGT.com

Thinking getting of an '05 LGT limited in 1 - 2 months... one worry (the turbo)

redpill66

I have never bought a used turbo car. They sound more prone to damage from neglect/abuse. If I get an 05 I am looking at 30k+ miles on the car when I get it. If the previous owner ran it low on oil, or ran the turbo hard on a cold engine, will it significantly reduce the life of the car? Will the problems show on the test drive, or will I have a catastophic failure a year down the road?

I'm just worried that the first owner will have damaged the turbo, but I won't be able to diagnose that from a 10 minute test drive.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The short answer is that if the turbo isn't making any obvious noises then the odds are that there is nothing wrong with it. On the other hand, it is possible for a perfectly fine sounding turbo (meaningone that doesn't make any funny sounds) will fail, just like any of the other thousands of parts in the car.

If the turbo does fail it can be replaced fairly easily - figure $1,000 to $1,500 at a dealer. It takes about 4 hours of labor plus parts. It is also fairy easy to do yourself if you have some experience.

Find a car you like and buy it. That's what warranties are for.

Welcome!!!!

Is the car @ a dealer or is it a private party sale?

What part of the country are you in?

Smell the oil......

As Rao mentioned, a turbo is not a huge cost especially if you turn the wrench yourself & if you do that go with a larger turbo;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The car I am looking at is at a dealer with 30,000 miles. I would assume it is still under the powertrain warranty, and the dealer offers and additional year and 12,000 miles on the bumper-to-bumper. Not sure if they will still have it once I am ready to buy, though.

I guess a grand isnt too bad to have a turbo replaced... hopefully, when I start test driving them, it will be obvious which have been abused.

Thanks for the quick responses.

**edit**

Wukindada, I am in Colorado.

All,

I am a noob as well - looking a a 2005 Limited, 5-spd with 54K miles. Car drove great and they are "asking" 18K. I think I can get them down to 16.5 - 17K, but had some questions.

First, the brakes felt spongy. I checked the brake fluid, it looked fine. When I pressed them hard, they gripped, as did the e-brake. Is this a normal characteristic of the Legacy?

Also, what is the view on quality? I am also looking at a GS400/430, no issues or problems there. I've owned Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans, but never a Subie. Most data supports that they are well built, but since I commute 90+ miles round trip, the quality is urgent. I need to keep the car for 4-5 years.

Thanks in advance for any info/help for either me or RedPill!

'72 240Z, numbers matching, 5spd, 4.11 R180

'66 Jaguar XKE FHC, numbers matching, 4spd

'67 Honda CL77 305 Scrambler, 8,000 original miles

Yeah, stock pads suck. Just replace pads you'll be okay.

54k miles, you should get for no more than 16k IMHO.

Subbies run forever... I can't get over the number of 1st gen Legacies I see all the time.

Cool thanks!

The dealer implied that he'd go to low 17's, but I suspect I could squeeze more. The car is clean, but they tried to say the car has good resale - :).

I think you are right - if the guy told me $16K, I'd have bought it on the spot.

Whereabouts in NJ are you?

On second thought, I think it should go for less than $16k.... only recently a guy in NJ had trouble selling his 05 LGT wagon w/MT with 44k miles for ~$14.5... Last May when I bought mine (new leftover), I could have bought an MT LGT wagon for $19k (asking price!) with only 15k miles....

See, 50 something kmiles is close to the end of powertrain warranty... bargain harder, or find a lower mileage one for the price.

I agree....at 54K I wouldn't pay over 16k for it.

The stock brakes do take some getting used to. Definetly a spongy feel to them, compared to the Hondas I've owned.

This is also my first Subaru, I would rank it up there with Honda and Toyota as far as quality and reliability.

- The Mortgage Man

This is good info - which is why I like being part of the forum. Thanks to all for the data.

Seeing that most suggest LESS than 16K, I will offer much lower. Otherwise, I'll continue to look.

If anyone knows of a 2.5 Limited Sedan with MT in NJ at less than 15K, LET ME KNOW...PLEEEASE :)

'72 240Z HLS30-73667 (mfg. 3/72), numbers matching, 5spd, 4.11 R180

I'd probably be ok with that - budget first, luxury second!

'72 240Z HLS30-73667 (mfg. 3/72), numbers matching, 5spd, 4.11 R180

Well my '00 Maxima SE was "base" - cloth interior, etc. so you know where my allegiances are.

So if an "un" limited is ~$15K, what would a Limted be? Car is very clean, no signs of external abuse. Would 16K be reasonable?

If anyone knows of a 2.5 Limited Sedan with MT in NJ at less than 15K, LET ME KNOW...PLEEEASE

2200 miles....paint should buff out just fine.....it's in Iowa though

FWIW: Me = '05 Limited wagon 5mt 19k

unclemat-I wasn't a big fan of leather initially...but now I'm a believer!

Bergs,

Yep, I saw that. I won't buy another damaged vehicle...I have a beat-up Corolla that I got for a song...biggest mistake ever. Plus, shipping from Iowa adds to the cost - I shipped my Jag from Ohio, adds another $500 to the price.

What makes this difficult is the depreciation on these things - it's really high...so it's hard to gauge what's appropriate.

Rich

unclemat- I found it at a Land Rover Stealership in Bedford, NH. They had gotten it on trade about 4 days before I saw it on autotrader.com.

33k miles--this car is MINT! I got lucky because I was about to ride out to NY to look at a blue one.

rdefabri- Try searching autotrader.com....I had really good luck with that site.

Archived