LegacyGT.com

Thinking getting of an '05 LGT limited in 1 - 2 months... one worry (the turbo)

redpill66

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Autotrader is good, but there's a preponderance of Used Car dealers I just don't trust. I found about 6 of them, none from private sellers.

I usually consider forums, but I loathe cars with mods. I can't believe the number of riced-out GS400's I see, totally classless IMHO. It would be like taking my '66 XKE and giving it to Chip Foose to jack up and put dubs on it....LAME.

I think if I get this dealer under 17K, I'll go for it. It's a Limited, so it's well equipped.

Difference in Limited is ONLY leather, power seats and moonroof. Nothing else (except gained weight). You know that?

So you're saying my car's fat? I'm offended...

rdefabri- Patience grasshopper. Just find one that's of interest to you and check the hell out of it. When I was looking at the wagon, I went as far as to remove the floor mats to check for "surprises" in the carpet.....don't be afraid to check everything! Cupholders, windows, all seats in all positions....I mean everything! Even if the stealer is looking over your shoulder "F" 'em....it's your $$$ and you want to make sure it's going to the right place...you will be driving it everyday and you don't want to "find" something after the fact.

Like I said....I found mine at a Land Rover stealer checked it out and went for it...

IMO I'd steer clear of the "Jose's Cars" type dealers...go with the Subie dealers or an "upscale" type dealer....the cars that go through places like that are far less likely to me molested.

Yes - but I also thought the Limited added the dual climate control? No matter, I could do without the fluff.

Unfortunately, since my criteria is ultra-specific, it's hard for me to find the "right" car. I certainly don't want to overpay, but I already lost a killer GS400 that beat myself silly over. 17K for a 59,000 mile specimen..in EXCELLENT condition. I was stupid because I nitpicked (black exterior, hated the Nav system).

I will accept a "reasonable" deal. Per KBB, a 54,000 mile Limited is ~$15K for dealer trade in. If I give them $500 - $1000 markup, that's $16K, which should be fair, no?

My apologies, like I said, I am so new to the Subie thing, I am not as comfortable.

Yes - but I also thought the Limited added the dual climate control? No matter, I could do without the fluff.

Unfortunately, since my criteria is ultra-specific, it's hard for me to find the "right" car. I certainly don't want to overpay, but I already lost a killer GS400 that beat myself silly over. 17K for a 59,000 mile specimen..in EXCELLENT condition. I was stupid because I nitpicked (black exterior, hated the Nav system).

I will accept a "reasonable" deal. Per KBB, a 54,000 mile Limited is ~$15K for dealer trade in. If I give them $500 - $1000 markup, that's $16K, which should be fair, no?

My apologies, like I said, I am so new to the Subie thing, I am not as comfortable.

Don't apologize...you're making a big decision and want/ need info on the subject.

My opinion....get some numbers from around the country searching on autotrader type sites....you will get a better idea of where you're going as far as miles vs $$$ goes...it may even give you a leg up since you can say "I saw this car with this many miles for this much and here's my proof. I really like this car you have here so what can you do for me on this asking price?"

And about your GS400....the exterior color and amenities are HUGE in the decision making IMO....keep in mind you'll be stuck with your choice and it's highs and lows....for me--> I'll NEVER do a white car....I don't care if it's the best deal in the world. White = UGH!

Bergs,

It's a Subie dealer, albeit a puny one, which scares me. He backed off on pressuring me, since I sort of know the game. I won't purchase if it's not a deal (steal?), but that GS400 from a large Lexus dealer still has me burning. However, I am patient to a fault, so that shouldn't be an issue ;)

Unclemat - yea, the GS400 isn't everyone's bag, but I always liked the styling and the V8 grunt. I will say this, if you've never driven one, it's...hmm.. "interesting". Lack of a limited slip in a modern RWD car is disturbing. I also have a hard time paying $17K for an 8 year old car, which is why I walked. I can see paying $17K for a 2005 car, especially a sporty 5-spd 4 door like the Subie.

Lost my damned server connection...:icon_mad:

Don't just "settle" for the first car....make absolutly sure it's "the one".

If that stealer you speak of has even ONE '85 Dodge Aries for sale...run like hell!

Also if you are dealing with a certified stealer, perhaps the car you are currently looking at is CPO.

Nope, not a CPO - rather, an "Internet" special. Considering what I am looking at (all with pros/cons), this appears to be a reasonably priced car. However, my point of reference isn't other Subarus, so this is helpful feedback.

You raise a good point, curious why it's not a CPO - it's an '05, so that should be eligible...

Subie dealer selling a non-CPO Subie?? Hmmmm....I would think it would be eligible given the year, etc.

Come to think of it.....mine's not CPO either.....I wonder if it could get that cert??

I don't know how they classify them - perhaps this was a quick trade in they want to turn around?

Here's a guess - having a CPO on the lot potentially causes 1 new car to go unsold. As stealers are concerned with DOH (Days on Hand) and turning inventory, perhaps they saw fit to leave it uncertified and try to dump it quick.

That's a stretch, but we go through similar cycles in my business.

Oh ya....forgot about the DoH....but that can also apply to the dealers that don't actually buy their *new* cars from the factory, but rather pay a monthly fee for having the car on their lot...not sure how common that is (if at all) with cars but I know for a fact is happens with some motorcycle dealerships.

Back OT - I was looking at another thread, someone had similar concerns - Seems like the MT is not easy to find. I sort of want one local - preference is a private seller, but I have been looking for about 6 months.

You just come to the conclusion that manual transmissions are no longer common place. This steps up the urgency a bit.

Thanks!

I found another (unlimited) LGT with 31K miles for 17.9K (asking). I know dealer trade in on one of these is no more than 14.5 in EXCELLENT condition, so if they markup $500.00, I should be able to get it for $15K.

That would be sweet since it's still covered by warranty (I think)...

Well, my local Subie dealer wouldn't accept the $16K bid I made on the 54,000 mile 05 LGT 5MT.

No worries, I found another with 33,000 miles at the same 17.9 asking, see what kind of wiggle room I can get.

You guys seem to be getting great deals on 05 LGT limited manuals.

I found one in my area, but the guy is asking 23K. I think i might be able to knock a little off.....but not much. Am I over paying? car has 20K and is stock. White with black leather.

I want to pull the trigger and get this thing so bad......

Yeah, the lowest this dealer is going is $17.5K - 33,000 miles, silver with leather. LGT Limited 5MT...I am going to check it today, if it's nice, I'll join the ranks...

You can continue to look for the perfect deal, but honestly, I think this is cheap. Some of my other targets were the GS400, G35 6MT, Maxima, Altima. All of which are more expensive and older.

You guys seem to be getting great deals on 05 LGT limited manuals.

I found one in my area, but the guy is asking 23K. I think i might be able to knock a little off.....but not much. Am I over paying? car has 20K and is stock. White with black leather.

I want to pull the trigger and get this thing so bad......

He is asking $5000 too much. Don't be a fool.

Archived