LegacyGT.com

Thinking getting of an '05 LGT limited in 1 - 2 months... one worry (the turbo)

redpill66

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even for the wagon?

My target price is around 21000 -21500.......we'll see

Even for wagon. I can't see any 05 wagon going for above $20 now, unless exceptoinal low mileage.

FWIW, recently a 05 LGT wagon limited with less than 4k (and extra set of Nokian WR tires, worth $800) sold for $21.5k.

FWIW, I paid a premium for a my MT GT Wagon: 15k miles, $23.7k a few weeks ago. They were asking $26(!) and maybe I could have haggled lower, but maybe not. You might be able to haggle lower, but you might not. MT GT Wagons are rare (only made in the 2005 model year), and the dealer probably knows that. When I went in later for snow tires they said they'd just gotten another one in, and sold it right away to a guy in Montana (and this is in WA).

I'd been looking for the right car for years, and wasn't going to let this one slip by. They only made this combo for one model year, so consider the supply and demand when you haggle. Autotrader shows zero 2005 MT Wagons nationwide right now (GT or otherwise). There's a nine ATs within 75 miles though. (But Subaru has their own search system too, you might find more that way.) If you can live with an AT or non-turbo or a sedan, you'll surely pay less for a car with the same mileage.

I noticed that LGT MT wagons go for noticeably more in west coast than east coast. Since I plan to buy another one I kinda track what sells and for how much... few examples (all 5MT wagons)

May'06: unlimited, 15k miles, $19k asking price (dealer)

Aug'06: unlimited, 7k miles, $20.8k final price (member on the board)

Nov'06: limited, 15k miles, $19.5k asking price (dealer)

Nov'06: limited, <4k miles, $21.5k asking price, includes Nokian WR snows (member)

Dec'06: unlimited, 44k miles, $13k final price, slight damage to rear bumper (ebay)

NSFW,

Yes, that's my predicament now. I have never driven automatic cars on a consistent commuter basis since I've had my license (I took my test with a manual) - and I'm almost 40. I know that manual transmissions are rare, regardless of brand.

For certain, the 5MT wagon is more rare than the sedan, but even the sedan isn't as common as a Civic. That's why I said you could look forever, at some point you have to jump in.

I've made my mind up - you can't buy a car like the LGT for anywhere near a 17-18K price. I've listed what I've been looking at, and I look constantly (I'm a car nut).

By next week, I'll have a better idea, but I am getting a LGT 5MT as my next commuter car.

Well, nothings final, but I will focus my energies on finding a nice 5MT sedan - my price range was really 15K, so my preference is the "un" limited, but we'll see.

I didn't go to PA today, so I'll have to see it later in the week (if still there). I also know a guy that buys/sells cars for others as a living, so I'll ping him too.

If I wrap it up soon, I'll try to join the "support rally"...used to enjoy my Harley rallys back in the day (almost 20 years ago!)

I forgot the total, but the warranty I was offered amounted to about $1000/year after you account for the factory warranty period.

I declined. An extended warranty is a gamble: they're betting that the amount of money you give them up front will be more than the cost of maintaining your vehicle for the remainder of the warranty period. In my case, I'm sure the dealer was correct. I suspect they are in most cases...

I personally have had a hard time finding an '05 MT for less than 17K. Most of these are low mileage examples, but in one case (previous post on this thread), I had a 54,000 mile example at 17.5K.

Given that rates may be low on a leftover, I'd strongly consider that - any leads? My local dealers never have LGTs, and if they do they are often Automatics.

• 8 months later...

Archived