LegacyGT.com

AEM CAI Fitment!

subyroo

Over time, it can affect you (MAF) Mass Air Flow sensor and eventually effect the performance of your engine.

I PMd TDC asking the same question and was given the reply that it if the intake is your only mod, it won't hurt.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmmmm......

I'm now thinking the ?noise? I 've been chasing is flutter......

Tossing the idea of either the Actuator or EBCS with next mods....

Waiting on word back from tuner....

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

i put mine in last week, you can read in the review section, but basically, I think it's a good upgrade, got it from optionimports, looks good, sounds great! (and I'm very anti-showy stuff) but fitment could be better, i trimmed my panel right where the rubber grommet bolt goes down into it to get the heat shield flat.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the AEM CAI on my 05 LGT for about a year and a half or 20,000 as my only upgrade and have had no issues while running the stock map. The only noticable difference(other than power) is that you have to give it a little more pedal off the line and when the A/C is on it needs a tap on the gas to get off idle before taking off. The noise isn't bad, but you will hear the BOV bleeding pressure from about 2800-5000RPM and you get a little woosh at the end of the gear WOT or not.

If you can keep your foot out of it; you will also get 3-5MPG higher on average with this mod.

Let's kick this pig!

• 1 month later...

Yay I just put mine on last night! It was very easy, and I definitely notice a slight power increase as well as the noise increase when on the throttle hard. Very nice!

TRS you said no need to open up the fender but you already have a hole from your vent and you have the non-solid skidplate so plenty of air gets to the AEM - does anyone think that ANY type of opening would make ANY difference at all??? I would still think it's got to be hotter in there even with the heat shield than it would be if open to the outside air somehow...

Not according to the datalogs I have run. With the AEM, the IAT's are consistently 1-2 degrees above ambient. Can't get much closer than that. I didn't have any additional openings or vents to duct air onto the filter.

Ya, I was looking at mine today and the chamber where the air filter is isn't exactly sealed. There is a lot of black plastic, but none of it is anywhere near air tight. I would imagine that there is still a good breeze blowing through. My only worry about making new holes would be getting water in there water especially since its on the gutter side.
Let's kick this pig!

Not according to the datalogs I have run. With the AEM, the IAT's are consistently 1-2 degrees above ambient. Can't get much closer than that. I didn't have any additional openings or vents to duct air onto the filter.

That's enough evidence for me! Thanks...

Ya, I was looking at mine today and the chamber where the air filter is isn't exactly sealed. There is a lot of black plastic, but none of it is anywhere near air tight. I would imagine that there is still a good breeze blowing through. My only worry about making new holes would be getting water in there water especially since its on the gutter side.

The only water you will get in your intake is if you go through big puddles of water. When I had an e36 BMW, I had the K&N CAI with nothing guarding it. I never had any problems with getting too much water in it.

• 1 year later...

I just installed one in my 05. It's possible that the guy who designed the heat shield has seen the engine bay of an 05 Legacy, but I think he was working from a sketch.

I hacksawed off a couple millimeters of the bolt underneath the mounting bushing, but still ended up bending it to make it fit. The bolts that hold the shield to the frame rail didn't quite line up but I persuaded them. Big gaps all around the edges of the shield, it's a shield in name only.

I bought mine used from a member here, and a fair amount of the black paint has come off of the shield because the shield is rusting all over the place. No hard feelings - it's not the seller's fault that AEM used worthless material. I bought it to get the stock airbox out of the way, to make room for FMIC plumbing... When I have a FMIC installed I'll make my own shield and post a how-to.

This is my first AEM product, and I get the impression that AEM is not a company that expects to have repeat business.

I just installed one in my 05. It's possible that the guy who designed the heat shield has seen the engine bay of an 05 Legacy, but I think he was working from a sketch.

I hacksawed off a couple millimeters of the bolt underneath the mounting bushing, but still ended up bending it to make it fit. The bolts that hold the shield to the frame rail didn't quite line up but I persuaded them. Big gaps all around the edges of the shield, it's a shield in name only.

I bought mine used from a member here, and a fair amount of the black paint has come off of the shield because the shield is rusting all over the place. No hard feelings - it's not the seller's fault that AEM used worthless material. I bought it to get the stock airbox out of the way, to make room for FMIC plumbing... When I have a FMIC installed I'll make my own shield and post a how-to.

This is my first AEM product, and I get the impression that AEM is not a company that expects to have repeat business.

Some think the fact the shield doesn't fit tight to the opening is a bad thing, I don't. I reused the stock intake assy's bolts and vibration isolator assys to space it up from the opening. Configured as such everything fits fine.

In my opinion the shield does its job. It is a simple radiant heat shield and acts as a barrier between hot engine parts and the filter well. The airspace around the shield, spaced 3/4" or so up off the chassis, lets high pressure air that enters from the grill opening flow through the filter well and up and into the engine bay, along with exiting through the various other small openings. This permits the entire area to be flushed, carrying whatever heat soak that has accumulated quickly away. Many loging runs confirms that my setup work well.

Mine has rusted here and there as well, but a quick scrape and a spritz or two with BBQ Black and all is good.

Interesting theory. I'm still gonna "fix" it though. :)

I have IAT on my carputer and ambient temp on the info panel so I'll see what happens... The stock setup had IATs about 5F above ambient, the odds seem good that the AEM will do a little better even without any changes.

just installed one a couple weeks ago. I like it. adds some nice sound to the car, i like hearing the turbo spool (well what I'm guessing is turbo spool heh...high pitch whirrring like a jet engine starting to build speed....) and mild suction noises (WAY quieter than the SPT intake i had on there). I agree with the heatshield design, definitely not down to specifics. took a bit of roughness to get everything to line up right. tightened it to the point that it wont move and i am happy.

as far as IATs go, I was watching on the AP when I first got it and never saw anything go over ambient.

There are caveats, however. The intake must not be used without a map if one is other than stock. And anyone who cannot stand the sound of a BOV should avoid it as it becomes noticeably louder.

Does that mean if your stock, you can run this intake with no worries ?

Does that mean if your stock, you can run this intake with no worries ?

"No worries" might be a stretch, but if your fuel/timing has not been adjusted by a tuner, you are already running pig rich and your timing is not optimized for your actual A/F ratio. I would say 99.9% no worries;)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Archived