LegacyGT.com

2007 Spec B Radio information thread

Deer Killer

rlax31,

Underseat subwoofer will plug directly in to the 07 head unit, if my '05 Legacy Wagon installation is typical. Sounds like the trunk-mounted subs were using the problematic connector.

My impression from Deer Killer's posts is that the steering wheel controls will no longer work if you swap around the connectors for the AUX-in port, so you'll need to find another way to connect those extra wires.

Ian,

speedub.nate, '05 Legacy Wagon, '07 RIP9 :D

Ahhh, speedub.nate! Of course! Sorry to mistake you for the Mr. Bling Nate. There were quite a few Nate's over there, but my apologies. ;)

Great photo! Somewhere near Tahoe I presume?

A RIP9! Nice. I'll head back over there to catch up soon. Do you have a thread on the RIP you could link me to? I'd love to read some impressions from yourself and others. Thanks. ;):cool:;)

That was my impression of the subwoofer too. Glad to hear it plugs right in. I do plan on doing the steering wheel too so I guess I'll have to track down some extra wires and pins or just bypass the harness.

Cheers!

-Ian

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a sub in my car though so there is no "just plug right in" for me. I guess I'll have to find the harnesses for the sub, could someone point me in the right direction?

goneskiian, please post in this or a new thread what you find out about thr radio controls. I'd like to get them hooked up ASAP.

I never had a sub in my car though so there is no "just plug right in" for me. I guess I'll have to find the harnesses for the sub, could someone point me in the right direction?

goneskiian, please post in this or a new thread what you find out about thr radio controls. I'd like to get them hooked up ASAP.

The OEM sub is mounted under the drivers seat. There's a harness there for it.

I installed my 07 radio into my 05 today. I didn't bother with the AUX in or anything, just plugged it right in and it worked great. I'll deal with the AUX and/or SAT when I'm feeling more adventurous.

I know it has been said that the steering wheel controls won't work anymore with the new stereo, but from the instructions posted by someone else on this site, I don't understand why they wouldn't work with the 07 unit. Instructions:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26232

The wires you connect to on the back of the stereo are still there, would they not control the radio anymore with the 07 unit? I ordered the controls, and have them sitting here. Has anyone tried to install them on an 07 unit yet? I might have to be the test rat on this one.

I know it has been said that the steering wheel controls won't work anymore with the new stereo, but from the instructions posted by someone else on this site, I don't understand why they wouldn't work with the 07 unit.

My impression is that the 8-pin connector which connects the steering wheel controls (I don't have them) also connects the AUX in.

So using Deer Killer's instructions, when the connector is re-arranged to work with AUX-in, the steering wheel controls are being disconnected.

If you can find some extra connectors to pop in, or can work out a different way to make the AUX-in connection, I see no reason why the steering wheel controls can't still work. The functionality isn't removed, it's just disconnected.

The '08 has aux in and steering wheel controls. I believe the same was true for the 07 spec. b. Is it all going through the same harness, or is it hooked up differently?
When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

The '08 has aux in and steering wheel controls. I believe the same was true for the 07 spec. b. Is it all going through the same harness, or is it hooked up differently?

I'm not sure how the harnesses are setup, but I've been informed that the '08 head units are wired differently than the '07s, so it's possible/probable that the whole shebang is wired differently.

Ok, so I think it's safe to assume that the steering wheel controls will work w/o the AUX mod. Safe enough to be positive about trying the install. I think I'll start there and move to the AUX in when I get bored.

I'd be very suprised if there isn't a way to do both. Someone just needs to sit down and problem solve.

Look, Deer Killer covered this in his original post. He wrote:

AUX IN: need to modify connector i85. (8-pin connector with a white insert) You will not be able to use steering wheel controls or the oem subwoofer after this mod. Although if you bought more pins you could use the steering wheel controls, here they just get reused because I will never do that mod.

i85 pins looking at it from the front:

.TT.

8 is the green wire, this is the only one do not modify and leave in place (see pics)

Remove the rest, cut them from the car, and solder to your wires as below.

Removing the pins can be difficult, you need the right shape tool and some patience. First you must remove the white guard at the back, and then remove the pins. I used the probe below. You must go in through the front of the connector and lift up the plastic tab behind the ridge on the top of the pin. I won't lie, this is almost like picking a lock.

This is how you should plug them back in:

1 - Left

2 - Right

5 - Audio ground (not body ground) This should be the shield in your wire, as you should use a 3 wire cable, one shield. (see pics)

6 - AUX box detect. This pin needs to go to body ground, for safety I added a 300 ohm resistor. I just sent this wire around a screw in the back of the radio.

12++

56++ : 1, 2, 5 & 6 are for the AUX in.

++34

++7+ : 3, 4 & 7 are for steering wheel controls

++++

+++8 : 8 is untouched. It's probably the Subaru MOJO connection.

If you can scare up four extra pins, you can have AUX + steering wheel controls.

If you have to scavenge the pins from 3, 4 and 7 for use with AUX, you lose steering wheel controls.

That should be perfectly clear. No mystery to solve.

• 2 weeks later...

++34

++7+ : 3, 4 & 7 are for steering wheel controls

Only pins 3 and 7 are needed for the steering wheel controls.

(two other pins, on the radio's main 14-pin speaker/power connector, are tapped for illumination for the steering wheel controls)

++++

+++8 : 8 is untouched. It's probably the Subaru MOJO connection.

Pin 8 is for the AC controls. [No, actually it's related to dimming. See update below]

Note that the above pin number orientation is viewing the PINS side of the car's plug (wires pointing away from you).

[Added:]

Connector i85

On 2007 radios

For Aux Input, Steering Wheel "satellite" controls, and A/C controls

Looking at the jack on the back of the radio the pins are numbered:

4 3 2 1

8 7 6 5

This is also the number orientation looking at the rear of the car's plug (wires pointing towards you).

Pin assignments:

1 - Aux Input - Left [brown]

2 - Aux Input - Right [Yellow]

3 - Satellite (steering wheel) switches* [Violet/White]

4 - No Connect?

5 - Aux Input - Ground [Gray]

6 - Aux input enable (connect this to chassis ground to enable) [Red/White]

7 - Satellite (steering wheel) switches* [Orange/White]

8 - Body Integrated Unit (Illumination Control)* [Green]

*Possibly not all models.

Wire colors from pictures posted by MonkeyHermit from his 2007 2.5i in this post.

UPDATE: Pin 8 is for Illumination Control — canceling dimming of the radio's display.

Edited by SVXdc

So, has anyone successfully swapped the XM tuner for a Sirius tuner (along with antennae) on a 2007 GT? I'm wondering if the Sirius tuner and antenna for a 2008 GT will work for the the SAT-ready HU on a 2007 GT?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, has anyone successfully swapped the XM tuner for a Sirius tuner (along with antennae) on a 2007 GT? I'm wondering if the Sirius tuner and antenna for a 2008 GT will work for the the SAT-ready HU on a 2007 GT?

uh yeah, me too

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about ready to attempt this myself on my 05. I do have one quick question I'm hoping someone can help me with about the aux-in mod. Its probably a totally stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer here.

After you've done the aux-in mod, how do you use it? Is there a headphone jack on the faceplate to plug into? Or do you need to add one? Or is there something else I'm missing here?

Cool, thanks for the help. Out of curiosity, why aren't you using the part?

Also, I'd buy the part off of you, but I'm going to be ordering using Subaru Bucks, and I actually need to throw in a few more parts into the order so I'm not throwing the balance away.

Lastly, does that mean you need a spare cable with two i85 connectors on it, or are those connectors already present back there somewhere? I didn't get the steering wheel controls on my car, so I dunno if unused wires are tucked under there or not.

Cool, thanks for the help. Out of curiosity, why aren't you using the part?

Because I'm using THIS instead. ;)

Also, I'd buy the part off of you, but I'm going to be ordering using Subaru Bucks, and I actually need to throw in a few more parts into the order so I'm not throwing the balance away.

Lastly, does that mean you need a spare cable with two i85 connectors on it, or are those connectors already present back there somewhere? I didn't get the steering wheel controls on my car, so I dunno if unused wires are tucked under there or not.

I hear you on wanting to use Subaru Bucks! I use them as much as possible. The part # on the little Aux box in the picture is 86257XA10A.

The i85 is the wire diagram designation for the harness that plugs into the back of the HU (I think). I'm not sure how I was going to hook up that AUX jack. I was going to take it to a professional installer to have them do that part. Likely it was going to require buying some 16 or 18 guage wires and tapping them into the appropriate wires at that harness. There are lot's more details in the first part of this thread.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :rolleyes:;)

Cheers!

-Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was doing some pricing tonight as I'm looking to do the Spec B radio in my '05.... some of the vendors have great prices, but steep shipping costs, how heavy is this radio? Is it 90% mercury?

86201AG67A - Spec B Radio

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com - $424.60 + 63.69 shipping (15%) = 488.29

http://www.subaruparts.com - $449.36 + 91.03 shipping = 540.39

Anyone know of anywhere better to find it? I've exhausted all the links I could find in several threads....