LegacyGT.com

2007 Spec B Radio information thread

Deer Killer

Now I'm confused.

So did you add the armrest cubby with the plug for the Aux in also? Or did you drill yours out and add it yourself?

And what's this about not being able to use the OEM accessory (for an '05 car anyway) subwoofer with the '07 stereo? Are you saying I'd have to junk the one I've got under my seat and buy a new one? I'm so confused.

Please clarify. Thanks.

-Ian

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: Clarion Connect unit does NOT work w/ the oem 07 WRX stereo despite the same pins (they did something to eff it up)

Info on the 2007 Impreza Headunit and Sirius.

Deer Killer please let us know if this is the same pin-out for the XM (I want Sirius cleanly installed, no more blue screen like in my WRX w/ sirius connect and alpine hu)

http://www.jsmithjr.com/subaru/radio/stock_radio_model.jpg

http://www.jsmithjr.com/subaru/radio/07_sti_radio.jpg

http://www.jsmithjr.com/subaru/radio/sti_stock_radio_closeup.jpg

deer killer, how hard would it be for you to put together a wire harness for the i85 rewiring job? i assume you'd need a female that you'd plug the i85 from the car into, some wires that are rerouted properly (using the config that you showed in post #2) to a male i85. if you could go ahead and put that together, that'd be great. i'd be willing to pay a more than fair price for it.

aside from redoing the i85, everything else is plug and play for installing the 07 stereo in an 05 leg it seems. no?

Yes... I don't know how much it would cost to get that harness put together. If people have the oem sub harness that plugs in there that would probably be easier to modify.. I'd have to look into it though.. I had a tough time sourcing the connector when I tried, but I'm pretty sure it's an Tyco/AMP piece.. I have no qualms with cutting into the car's wiring, especially since my warranty is almost up anyway..

If enough people are interested it might be cost-effective to buy a box full of the connectors (once sourced)..

let me know. if it is fairly reasonable, i'd consider going half in for the cost of the materials, and if you give me a finished working product, i'll call it even. you'll have cash, i'll have my harness, and the handful of other people who are interested and lazy like me can pony up some dollars to have their harnesses too. a win all around.

OK...Satellie radio is OK. If you're into the exclusive programming it's great. But, for listening music the sound quality is not that great. I haven't heard HD Radio but supposedly it should be better quality than Satellite Radio. I already have an XM tuner in mine. With the OEM Sub and WOW makes a big difference in sound quality of XM broadcasts. Compared to the XM sound in Acura TL's, I think the Spec.B beats it.

My question is: Will my HU take this? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mS9gbQwDX72/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=186650&tab=essential_info&i=113HR100TR#Tab

There's no part numbers because it's not clear which part numbers apply, as it seems they may have split up the face plate and the radio.. but I doubt anyone is going to buy an OEM anyway, considering how much they charge. I bought the whole 07 unit without a PN.

The bus appears to be the same bus anyway. When Subaru did the impreza/forester radio they went with a completely different bus. Why bring the "kenwood" bus over to the US with a different manufacturer?

There's no part numbers because it's not clear which part numbers apply, as it seems they may have split up the face plate and the radio.. but I doubt anyone is going to buy an OEM anyway, considering how much they charge. I bought the whole 07 unit without a PN.
Did you buy your 07 spec.B head unit from a chop shop? There are no aftermarket replacement head units for the 2005+ LGT. An OEM (Panasonic) head unit is the only option.

There should be a label on the head unit case which provides both the Subaru part number ("Model No.") and a "Ref No." which is Panasonic's model number. Here's an example from the 2006 LGT spec.B/Outback VDC head unit:

http://i4.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/81/12/a572_1.JPG

What was on the case of your 2007 spec.B head unit?

Well yes actually.. since they are building a race car out of it... You know it boggles my mind I think would have taken a picture of that label if I saw it, but I don't recall it, I didn't take a picture of it, and now it's installed back in the car.. odd.. perhaps when I get some free time I'll pull it back out and look. What I did do was take the specs of the changer bus from the kenwood and stick my oscilloscope on it, and it matches up.. it's not just the same connector..

• 3 weeks later...

For informational purposes:

The radio which I had out of my Spec B to indstall the OEM XM kit had the following part numbers:

MODEL NO: 86201AG67A

REF NO: CQ-EF1661X

On the lable, it also said that it was a Panasonic head unit.

For informational purposes:

The radio which I had out of my Spec B to indstall the OEM XM kit had the following part numbers:

MODEL NO: 86201AG67A

REF NO: CQ-EF1661X

On the lable, it also said that it was a Panasonic head unit.

I should've took a pic of my head unit when the dealer's service center swapped my head unit due to the battery drain problems that I was having.

:confused:

This thread is very interesting.

Let's see if I have this right:

1. The 07 radio is PNP and it and the HVAC will work.

2. No one knows the part number for certain,s o it is either ~$450 or ~$900

3. XM is a no-brainer, but Sirius has not been proven to work or not work.

4. You can rig up an aux in connector fairly easily.

5. Old style factory subwoofers will need soom work as the wiring has changed.

If ANYONE knows if sirius can be made to work, please chime in. This seems like a good alternative, although I suspect Sirius will not work easily if at all and the price is probably closer to the $900 number :(

The OEM sub will still work (IF it's the powered, under-seat style). See the subwoofer posts in this thread on NASIOC:

If your factory subwoofer has the old-style harness, it will be plug-n-play. (It sounds like the 2007's went back to the "old" style harness)

If you sub has the new-style harness (with the extra 8-pin plug at the HU end), you'll need to jumper two wires to essentially convert it into an old-style sub harness. Details in the above thread.

ADDED: If your subwoofer is a plain, unpowered speaker (which, as far as I know, you will never find under the front seats -- it's only in the rear cargo area of some Outbacks and Foresters) then it will not work without adding a mono amp and additional plumbing.

ADDED: I've found the correct connectors and pins to make an i85 "breakout" adapter. That allows you to pass through the pins that are the same between your car and the newer OEM radio, and connect things to the pins on either side that are different (such as connecting an aux input jack to the 2007-up radio). See my homepage link for more info (click my username).

Edited by SVXdc

In your first post, where you said...

Your OEM subwoofer will no longer work, will need an 07 model and/or harness
...I think some people got the mistaken impression that the sub would be completely unusable after your mod (as in "doorstop").

Anyone who is able to do your '07 transplant mod will find the sub harness mod to be a piece of cake.

They certainly don't have to buy a new sub or even a new sub harness. Just trying to save people some $$$.

BTW, great job on the research and write-up.