LegacyGT.com

2007 Spec B Radio information thread

Deer Killer

The OEM sub will still work. See the subwoofer posts in this thread on NASIOC:

If your factory subwoofer has the old-style harness, it will be plug-n-play. (It sounds like the 2007's went back to the "old" style harness)

If you sub has the new-style harness (with the extra 8-pin plug at the HU end), you'll need to jumper two wires to essentially convert it into an old-style sub harness. Details in the above thread.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if the $50 part number includes the radio and faceplate???

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2005-6 Outback 3.0R VDC was the only Legacy/Outback model that was equipped with a subwoofer from the factory as standard equipment. It was the only model which used the 8-pin connector to drive the subwoofer. Its subwoofer is unpowered and relied on the 65 watt subwoofer amplifier in the Panasonic headunit. Its subwoofer will be a doorstop after installing a 2007 headunit.

The optional Subaru subwoofer used in all other 2005-6 Legacy/Outback models was port- or dealer-installed. It contains its own amplifier and connects to the headunit via the 14-pin connector. It will continue to work after installing a 2007 headunit.

OK, still confused on the subwoofer working or not. We've got DK saying "Not without some wiring" and Jon saying "Plugs right in".

DK, which subwoofer are you referring to in Jon's post above? The 3.0RVDC one or the port/dealer installed (underseat the driver seat) one?

I'm hoping Jon's right but considering DK's actually had his out and apart...

Thanks,

-Ian

OK, still confused on the subwoofer working or not. We've got DK saying "Not without some wiring" and Jon saying "Plugs right in".

DK, which subwoofer are you referring to in Jon's post above? The 3.0RVDC one or the port/dealer installed (underseat the driver seat) one?

I'm hoping Jon's right but considering DK's actually had his out and apart...

Thanks,

-Ian

If the radio side of the harness has an 8-pin plug, you have to cut and splice. If it has a larger one it should still work.

What I want to know is the pinout of the XM connector for the 07 stereo. My ultimate goal is to wire a carPC directly to the stereo through that port. I don't have an oscilloscope, so knowing in advance will save me a lot of time.

20 pins seem like a lot since XMDirect uses 9ish (not including ant).

I'm going to pull my XM unit out and tear it appart. If there is anything I can snap pics of while I've got my dash apart, let me know.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

What I want to know is the pinout of the XM connector for the 07 stereo. My ultimate goal is to wire a carPC directly to the stereo through that port. I don't have an oscilloscope, so knowing in advance will save me a lot of time.

20 pins seem like a lot since XMDirect uses 9ish (not including ant).

I'm going to pull my XM unit out and tear it appart. If there is anything I can snap pics of while I've got my dash apart, let me know.

huh? Did you read the first two posts in the thread??? pinouts included.

Just out of curiosity, why not wire your carPC into the AUX line?
Because I'd like to leave that input clear for other stuff. And I'd like to output track information to the stereo itself, as well as maybe ave the PC respond to commands sent by the stereo (|< << >> >|).

huh? Did you read the first two posts in the thread??? pinouts included.
Yes, but completely missed it among the images. :icon_tong Not the type of pinout map I'm used to looking for.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

• 5 weeks later...
Yes... I don't know how much it would cost to get that harness put together. If people have the oem sub harness that plugs in there that would probably be easier to modify.. I'd have to look into it though.. I had a tough time sourcing the connector when I tried, but I'm pretty sure it's an Tyco/AMP piece.. I have no qualms with cutting into the car's wiring, especially since my warranty is almost up anyway..

If enough people are interested it might be cost-effective to buy a box full of the connectors (once sourced)..

DK, have you been able to find a source for this? I would be willing to invest some $$ to make it work ;)

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I am waiting to see if someone takes the oem sub connector and plug it to a real amp and sub. My plan is getting a kicker or audiobahn and sub and connecting the amp to the sub connector. IMO it would ease the installation, and i wouldnt have to splice all the speaker wires

• 3 weeks later...

You definitely need an external receiver for Sat radio.

strife1012, there's no need for the OEM sub harness if you want to ease installation. The easiest thing to do would to be a forward and reverse radio harness and connect them together on a bench, add your taps there and then install into the car as an assembly.

I am waiting to see if someone takes the oem sub connector and plug it to a real amp and sub. My plan is getting a kicker or audiobahn and sub and connecting the amp to the sub connector. IMO it would ease the installation, and i wouldnt have to splice all the speaker wires

strife1012, there's no need for the OEM sub harness if you want to ease installation. ...

I think strife1012 is saying his car already has the Subaru subwoofer T-harness, and he wants to use that to access the speaker wires.

At least one person I know has done that, and it worked very well for him. I provided a mating 8-pin harness that connects to the sub harness (see my homepage).

The only catch was that the Subaru sub harness has +12V constant/battery. So he needed to find +12V accessory/switched to use for an amp remote turn-on (in addition to a new +12V constant that he ran with beefier wire to supply the main power to the sub).

He said he removes the huge sub from the trunk and reconnects the OEM sub whenever he needs the trunk space.

• 2 months later...
which one pin is AUX box detect in this pic

That diagram is for the 20-pin nav connector.

The new "ashtray" aux input box connects to one of the square, 8-pin connectors.

See post #2 in this thread for pin-out and more info. Also see this post on NASIOC.

I thought i remember seeing somewhere a unit that kept the auto climate controls but had a din opening, i think from japan, an links??

It would be nice to have a nicer radio and keep the climate control.

Has anyone figured out which part number should be ordered to get the 07 radio? Someone here knows, I've seen them post the info before. But hell if I can find it again.

It's in the first post of this thread.

Cheers!

-Ian

Yes but there seems to be some debate if both parts are indeed need. It seems no one has ordered either to find on. Any ideas?

The first one is all you need I believe. It's the actual head unit. The other is the front panel with the radio and climate control interface.

I don't know how to get the radio to toggle between Aux, CD, AM, FM and Satellite with out the front panel but I've read (maybe in another thread, likely in this one) that you don't NEED the panel assembly.

I'll be doing this swap as soon as I can accumulate more Subaru bucks to pay for both parts. Or until such time as I get desperate enough to bite the bullit and drop real money on the difference (600 subaru bucks in pocket, 500 needed to include the steering wheel). I was hoping to get the spec b steering wheel (with audio controls) done at the same time. :rolleyes:;):spin:

It may be sooner rather than later as my "deferred gratification" is going on vacation soon. ;):lol::lol:

Cheers!

-Ian

There seems to be a lot of chatter about this upgrade, so I think I will bump it up so that people can find it agan. I think that It might be a good idea to sticky.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

86201AG67A Radio Ay Up2 $450

^^^^^^^^^

This is the only part number you need. It is the head unit with the 07 panel assembly attached. The other panel assy is for earlier models. I know because I ordered it through Subaru. The panel assy attached to the 86201AG67A is from the 07. The other number given at the beginning of this thread is unnecessary.

86201AG67A Radio Ay Up2 $450

^^^^^^^^^

This is the only part number you need. It is the head unit with the 07 panel assembly attached. The other panel assy is for earlier models. I know because I ordered it through Subaru. The panel assy attached to the 86201AG67A is from the 07. The other number given at the beginning of this thread is unnecessary.

Yes! This is the confirmation I've been looking for. I was going to get this part first just in case this was the case.

I know in another thread you'd said you got this to work by itself but I thought you meant you didn't need the front panel assembly, that you got it to work with the original panel.

This is great news indeed.

Thanks!

-Ian

Anyone have any luck with an HD tuner? I'm curious if there's an OEM tuner that will plug into the SAT control connector for '08.

I'm also unsure whether or not the '08 head unit is the same as the '07, as '08 is Sirius AND XM ready, and I was told that it's not retroactive for the '07.

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.