LegacyGT.com

Type of PS fluid?

B4GT

Hi, I noticed my Power Steering fluid is at cold min even when the engine is hot, I want to top off the fluid. The dealer said any Dexron 3 ATF fluid is fine, though the manual says not to mix different brand of fluids. The dealer doesn't even carry subaru fluid. Any one has experience with this? Can I put another brand of fluid in there? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='B4GT']Hi, I noticed my Power Steering fluid is at cold min even when the engine is hot, I want to top off the fluid. The dealer said any Dexron 3 ATF fluid is fine, though the manual says not to mix different brand of fluids. The dealer doesn't even carry subaru fluid. Any one has experience with this? Can I put another brand of fluid in there? Thanks.[/QUOTE] Bah, it's just hydraulic fluid. Power steering racks don't put nearly the stress on the fluid as ATFs do. Don't worry about it and just put some Dexron III in there.

So what color is the PS fluid from the factory? A pale yellow correct? Got it topped off at the dealer, looks like candy apple red now. Looks like they mixed different fluids. But most Dextron III fluid is red. Wonder what the factory stuff is. Hehehe... Of course now I think I hear some PS pump whine. Of course, it is so slight it could have always been there, and others think I'm crazy. :) I'll keep an eye and ear on the level and any noise, if any. -B

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][size=1][size=1]During a parking maneuver heard noise and remembered this thread. Power steering fluid level way down. Bought some ATF fluid and replenished. Noise gone... Wonder about dealer PDI and if it’s really performed. My car has about 4500 miles on it now and was purchased in late September. Minor problem but this kind of crap does little for Subaru's dealer reputation. I believe the product is good, but if SOA's dealers do not perform up to the car's potential, Subaru will still come up short - not to mention potential damage to vehicles not properly PDI'd. Haven't completed satisfaction survey and am considering blasting the dealer citing this and the fact that the tires did not have proper pressure. Am I being too demanding? This does not seem like an isolated event... [/size][/size][/size]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hopefully i'm not reviving a topic that has been deemed dead but: I just purchased a 2005 Legacy 2.5 GT a few days ago, and made the mistake of not checking all the fluids before leaving the dealership... not sure what I was thinking at the time, since the drive from the dealership to home was over 300 miles. Anyway, to make a long story short when I woke up the next morning and opened the hood, I was particularly surprised to see the Power Steering fluid level at the "Cold Minimum" marker. I contacted the dealership who told me that any Dextron III would be acceptable... however having read through the user's manual (... yes i'm strange, I read it cover to cover the first night ...) I was a little curious as to its comment about "mixing brands". I went ahead and contacted Subaru Customer Service, who didn't provide an exact answer, but did hint that a dealership could provide me with Subaru ATF fluid. I contacted a local dealership, who said they had the fluid on hand. Not really much to say about this stuff... just a white bottle labeled "Subaru Genuine Parts: Automatic Transmission Fluid / Power Steering Fluid". Part number is S0A868V9240. Looks like any other Dextron III fluid i've seen, red in color, though maybe a little thiner than the fluid that goes in my Porsche. As with Dactylonian, my coolant level was also a little low.... however it seems to cycle up and down... sometimes its near full when the vehicle is cold, other times it is near low. ----- Domain

• 11 months later...
Power Steering was also at the COLD MIN since day ONE! Haven't bought anythign new. Got on here to see what people had to say about mixing brands. I think it's a way subaru can tell you they won't honor the warranty if you mixed brands. :) I wonder why they are all so low? Anyways... if anyone else knows anything about why the book recommends we don't mix brands let mek now. It's funny that they say that yet you don't know what the orginal liquid is. I guess they expect us to bug the parts guy at our local dealership or flush the whole system just to top it off! :)

• 1 month later...
[quote name='2006Specb122']I finally went down to the local subaru and they had a SUBARU bottle of ATF that was suppose to be exacly for my car. I poured it in.. same color and everything looks great. Topped it off!!![/QUOTE] Is the fluid from the dealer red or almost clear? The factory PS fluid in my 05 LGT is not red like most ATF fluids. Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...
Ya my Mom's '03 GT sedan ALWAYS had P/S pump whine. Sucked out and replaced some ATF in P/S rez. with Dextron II and it is still there. Stealership says no TSB and is no help at 40k??:icon_mad: Anything I can do, a compatable fluid to try??:iam:

mine was extremely low when i checked it this past winter -- similar the OP, it was at the low level while hot. Filled it up to where it should be and everythign seems fine, i dont notice the whine coming from the pump anymore either. and the PS fliud in the tank was red.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Domain'] Anyway, to make a long story short when I woke up the next morning and opened the hood, I was particularly surprised to see the Power Steering fluid level at the "Cold Minimum" marker. I contacted the dealership who told me that any Dextron III would be acceptable... however having read through the user's manual (... yes i'm strange, I read it cover to cover the first night ...) I was a little curious as to its comment about "mixing brands". I went ahead and contacted Subaru Customer Service, who didn't provide an exact answer, but did hint that a dealership could provide me with Subaru ATF fluid. I contacted a local dealership, who said they had the fluid on hand. Not really much to say about this stuff... just a white bottle labeled "Subaru Genuine Parts: Automatic Transmission Fluid / Power Steering Fluid". Part number is S0A868V9240. Looks like any other Dextron III fluid i've seen, red in color, though maybe a little thiner than the fluid that goes in my Porsche. As with Dactylonian, my coolant level was also a little low.... however it seems to cycle up and down... sometimes its near full when the vehicle is cold, other times it is near low. ----- Domain[/quote] I should kick myself for not checking these fluid levels sooner, but on the other hand, my car has been running well. At 7500 miles, my PS fluid is also at the "cold min." mark, and the coolant is at or below the "min." mark on the expansion tank. On the way to work today, I picked up some coolant at the dealer, which I'll mix 1:1 with distilled water later tonight. I asked about PS fluid, but didn't buy anything because the parts lady said she only recalls selling trans. fluid for this purpose. It didn't make sense to me at the time, so I held off until I found more information. Having read Domain's post above, it seems the bottle is labeled "ATF/PS Fluid." So tomorrow it looks like I'll pick up some of that.

Hilarious.... I have 7500 in mine, and yesterday just noticed the exact same thing... low PS fluid and coolant/antifreeze. So, is what's the verdict: Dextron III good or not? Also, will any antifreeze brand work?

• 10 months later...
As with most things in the business world, money is the bottom line. Though it only takes an ounce or two to bring the power steering fluid up to the correct amount, and about 4 to 5 ounces to bring up the coolant level, think of the money Subaru saves each year by not filling them up to the indicated levels.

• 1 year later...

Archived