LegacyGT.com

Spec B owners, R180 rear???

RS22b

Don't sweat it, Codean has a history of coming off a little abrasive on this website.

Lol, you should hear him in person... :lol:

I trust him more than others here, but then again, I'm not going to be convinced until someone pulls it apart and compares it to one from an STI. :icon_cool

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing I said was abrasive in any way. We were asked where we got our info from and I simply gave it.

And if I am being abrasive please forgive me. This forum is like being time warped back 5 years to when the wrx first came out. It's very frustrating to see the same questions asked over and over when they have been covered countless times.

Im banking on that Subaru has never put out a 6spd without a R180 accompanying it.

So, i've decided i will call someone that is local that has a new Spec B and go figure this out for myself. I did call some ppl at Subaru, but nothing is always just an easy yes or no.

_billy

Codean already answered it, his spec B 6 gear does not have a 180 .....

Nothing I said was abrasive in any way. We were asked where we got our info from and I simply gave it.

And if I am being abrasive please forgive me. This forum is like being time warped back 5 years to when the wrx first came out. It's very frustrating to see the same questions asked over and over when they have been covered countless times.

believe me im feeling the same way as you on here. Im not quite a new guy on this stuff at all. i've been stripping Subarus since 2001 and rebuilding them in any way i come up with in my head, and of course can afford as well.

I have done just about every swap known to the Subaru world. Sorry havent ventured into the 6cyl realm yet, but its pretty much the same thing with 2 more cyl. and more money.

EJ22

EJ22T

EJ25

EJ205

EJ255

EJ257

EJ20g

EJ207

trannys:

usdm sti

jdm sti

jdm ver. 6 RA

jdm ver. 4 wrx

auto - manual

I dont think that this question has been asked before bc it seems that most ppl that replied to this thread didnt even know what a R160 or R180 were. if it was asked before im sorry i didnt decide to use a crappy search method which never turns up what you want.

I have my info and i know it is 100% accurate at this point.

yep, you are right... I started to second guess myself and went for another look... I came back out from under my car feeling very stupid. Not sure how I made the mistake the first time.

I was wrong.... it is an R180.

I stood up for you....took a bullett.....go back under the car :lol:

I know, I know... I guess I've been spending too much time working on BMW's and not enough under the hood of my own car. Trust me, I feel really dumb on this one. But I admit that I was wrong but I'm glad that I am. R160's have too small of a ring gear to reliably hold a good amount of power. I have seen quite a few of them blow out on cars that have had a 6 speed swap done because it is the next weak link in the drivetrain.

I dont think that this question has been asked before bc it seems that most ppl that replied to this thread didnt even know what a R160 or R180 were.

Actually my first thread on this forum asked this very same question: Does the 2007 spec B have an R180?… It received no responses. I asked this question before I bought my spec B… not that it makes a difference cause I still mistook it for an R160. :lol:

I know, I know... I guess I've been spending too much time working on BMW's and not enough under the hood of my own car. Trust me, I feel really dumb on this one. But I admit that I was wrong but I'm glad that I am. R160's have too small of a ring gear to reliably hold a good amount of power. I have seen quite a few of them blow out on cars that have had a 6 speed swap done because it is the next weak link in the drivetrain.

I know there are threads about 5eat power levels but what do feel it can handle for power (reliably) and is it the same tranny as the Titan ??:confused:

There is only one story on this board that I am aware of regarding damaged LGT tranny/drivetrain and that was driver error when a member jammed a shift into 2nd during an officially timed drag race.

BTW FYI FWIW

06 Spec.B with 215/50/17 (winter set up) 2800 rpm @ 70 mph indicated, 3250 @ 80

Next question, if it has a R180, what will it take to put in a DCCD?

Too lazy to search

To answer this guy's question... You would need a new trans with DCCD, new rear diff to match the transmissions different final drive, all the wiring, the switch, yaw sensor and perhaps a few more things.

so in other words... it would take a lot to put in a DCCD.

300 RPM.... probably makes a small difference in gas mileage but then again so does towing an extra 100 pounds. LIGTHER the better in my opinion.

NOT WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY IMO.

Let's examine the new spec b:

1. The new Spec B drops 7 horsepower when compared to the 06.

2. The new spec B gains 100 pounds of pure fat.

3. The new spec b has a 6 speed manual transmission so you have to change gears more often and you have to pull the lock out tab when going into reverse.

4. The other options like memory seats, aux in, and folding rear seats require more parts and will also weigh more.

5. The new paint color is less aerodynamic.

When compared to my 2006 Stage 2 Spec b setup I would probably be almost a full 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile and a good 1.5 seconds faster 0-60.

Can't wait for the Road n Track and Car-Driver tests on the new spec b.

We'll see how they compare to the incredible numbers the 06 put up stock. :hide:

believe me im feeling the same way as you on here. Im not quite a new guy on this stuff at all. i've been stripping Subarus since 2001 and rebuilding them in any way i come up with in my head, and of course can afford as well.

I have done just about every swap known to the Subaru world.

he's right about that, people. :lol: :lol: :lol: very interesting dinner table conversations at least a few times a month.

Hi Birry :D

^ For the amount of posts I'd be surprised if he WASN"T joking.

I was just trying to get a reaction out of someone. Rally Squirrel... I won't take it personal that you thought I WASN'T Joking.

I've been around here for a while and was just having some fun for the new spec b owners. :)

Hey Rally-

How are you enjoying the new Spec?

Drive different than your 05 subaru?

Archived