LegacyGT.com

Spec B owners, R180 rear???

RS22b

^ where did you get your info?? _Billy I think works in NJ for Subaru.. he's trying to dig up all the info from his sources, so I wont doubt too much of his research once he gets it all.. I know he's the one who posted to ask, but it's a lot easier to just ask than to go searching on your own..

that's why I was thinking about the R160s with the 5x100 spindles and hub configurations and that the 2004 Impreza STi was the only one made from a 5x100 with an R180. It could be the fact of the 6 speed tranny, but I doubt it because the 06 Spec Bs run on R160s with with 5x100s if Im not mistaken.

Keefe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im banking on that Subaru has never put out a 6spd without a R180 accompanying it.

So, i've decided i will call someone that is local that has a new Spec B and go figure this out for myself. I did call some ppl at Subaru, but nothing is always just an easy yes or no.

_billy

anyone know if there's any thruth to this. And which model would be using it?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=708798

TORSEN - This LSD was available for a short time and there are just a few of these floating around, seems like most/all are for R200s. The Torsen diff is a gear driven LSD like the Quaife, but the one used in the Nissan diffs is designed in such a way that it is more like a 1.5 way and does provide some amount of lock up on decel. There have been reports of a new Subaru being fitted with a R200 torsen diff, and also it seems the S15 version of the 240SX has a Torsen as well, so we may be seeing more of these diffs hitting the market at good prices soon.

anyone know if there's any thruth to this. And which model would be using it?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=708798

TORSEN - This LSD was available for a short time and there are just a few of these floating around, seems like most/all are for R200s. The Torsen diff is a gear driven LSD like the Quaife, but the one used in the Nissan diffs is designed in such a way that it is more like a 1.5 way and does provide some amount of lock up on decel. There have been reports of a new Subaru being fitted with a R200 torsen diff, and also it seems the S15 version of the 240SX has a Torsen as well, so we may be seeing more of these diffs hitting the market at good prices soon.

Great info on that link. Thanks!

Well, me goin to the STi R180 is a benefit bc i will have a mechanical LSD + the more power thing aswell. But im not so concerned about me blowing the diff up bc i only wanna end up around 350-375 whp.

I got my info from me having a look under my own personal car and seeing an R160.... After working for 2 years in a Subaru performance shop (now I work on bmw's) which did full 6 speed/R180 swaps, 6 speed rebuilds, JDM engines, and STi part-outs, I know what an R180 looks like and I am 100% sure that the 2007 Legacy GT Spec B does not have an R180 rear end.

well to make a full and totally accurate answer of this all i will be checking the manual hopefully later today.

I even took a picture of it as to see if it would help me in my other findings that i need sorted.

Hey guys...think this is the right thread to pose this quesiton.

If I wanted to swap the 6spd from teh 2007 spec b into a 5spd equipped 2006 spec b does anyone know how difficult this swap would be. Would all components match up properly if I just bought the 2007 parts. Anyone know what parts besides the transmission itself that I would need?

I'm looking for a plug n play solution. Something that will go in fairly easily and not give me much hassle or need any fabrication.

I know it's early to be buying 2007 parts but with the first 6 spd manual offered on a legacy I'm figuring someone has tried it.

I'm thinking it will be a popular upgrade in the future, epsecially for those with extra power under the hood.

IS it true the 6spd weighs an extra 100 pounds.

I'm really not looking to add weight to this car.

Another question, can anyone verify where the gearing is at for sixth gear. How does it compare to the 5spd as far as RPM at 65-70 MPH.

I wouldn't mind trying the 6spd. I'm sure it is a stronger unit. (probably weighs more)

If the 6 spd doesn't weigh 100 pounds more and it gives me a good crusing gear for highway speeds then I would consider doing the swap. I drive so much that the gas saved would be nice but probably not pay for itself in terms of cost to do the swap.

Just looking for more info on all this stuff...any help woudl be great.

Thanks

:lol: :lol:

Yes it is heaver, you will probably have compatibility issues with the center diff, I have no idea if it will bolt up, and do you really want to go through all that hassle just so you have to shift more? :confused::lol:

NO NOT REALLY!

But if I can save $4.00 of gas per day it might be worth it.

:lol:

it doesnt sound like a 6spd upgrade is for you, but then again i dont think its really for me either, haha.

What you would need would be:

-tranny

-clutch assy.

-shifter

-tranny x-member

-driveshaft

-rear diff

-rear axles

Front axles should work out just fine.

yes the 6spd weighs alot more than a regular 5spd. prob close to 100 lbs, but not quite that much.

As far as the gearing goes im sure its a bit more conservative than the STi 6spd.

Im goin for the STi 6spd for:

gearing - keeps me real close to the 4.44 final i have now with an extra gear.

diffs - how can you beat an OBXT with 3 working diffs!

strenght - looking to upgrade my power soon after swap is done.

mileage - yes, actually gas mileage is something for me to be concerned with. Filling up 3-4 times a week kills me on a yearly, monthly, weekly basis.

Just approaching 60,000 miles and havent hit a year yet. I have 4 days to pull it off and i wouldnt be surprised if i do it a bit early.

BTW: i have confrimation that the 2007 Spec B has a R180 rear.

I think remember reading there is only about a 200 rpm difference @ 75mph between the 06 and 07 Spec.B. Hopefully, someone will confirm this because I don't feel like doing the arithemtic. Depending upon the type of driving you do, 100lbs is like having 4 sets of golf clubs in the trunk. It will be interesting when 07 Spec.B pilots start reporting on their real world mpg.

i can prob get you the gearing difference on the 2 if there actually is any.

Im pretty sure that the final on the Spec B is 3.70 and on the STi 3.90.

I got some part #'s and am getting a lil closer to actually doin this stupid swap on my Outback. I will be swapping over the Brembos and taking out the subframe spacers to drop it as well.

All will be documented and a report written on Part #'s, procedure and such.

_billy

Archived