LegacyGT.com

GT vs. Spec-B

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just find it funny how pre-07 Spec B owners always have to justify their purchase. 07 has a 6-speed and that by itself is the deal maker!

The Navi and red leather was the deal maker for me.. But the 6 speed would have been nice too.

Not having to downshift is entertaining as hell. In top gear cruising I'd rather gain an extra 10 or 15 mph before using the turbo, though. I can pay attention to traffic and decide to drop down a gear as needed, and the extra real world mpg would kick ass.

A higher top gear would probably be too tall to show real gains on the EPA's mileage test, so I doubt we'll see one. 5th gear can cruise at 40 just as easily as at 90. Long stretches of highway are just screaming for a higher gear, and by adding one we can keep the other 5 for the fun driving while saving a lot of gas and revs.

Even most of the weak cars I've had could have been really helped by something taller than 5th. The weakest car I ever had, an Esteem, was the exception. It was so underpowered that I could only get it to 90 or so in 5th, but could get to 95 in 4th. It still benefited from that last tall gear, though. I thrashed the hell out of it (had to, just to keep up) and still got over 40 mpg. I'll bet I could get better than 30 mpg in my LGT without changing anything, just by adding 6th gear. That'd be cool.

Stock v/s stock a 5MT will always accelerate quicker than a 6MT.

As far as all these times & stats go........:rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Not exactly. the SpecB 6sp when taken:

top of 1st gear then 3rd gear will net you quickest acceleration (puts you into 3k rpm in 3rd where you already have boost).

Do all '07 GT have air pumps instead of cats in the uppipe?

SpecB has one and that by itself allows for the turbo to spool a 100-200 rpms quicker and makes more torque over the entire power band compared to '06 GT's.

Its in all the 07s, there are no real changes in the powertrain (engine) between the regular GTs and spec B, changes are transmission, suspension, traction control and interior.

Ed

If all 07 Gt's have air pumps this means that all STOCK '07 GT's should have a better torque curve if we could somehow remove SI drive from the equation. Since we can't do that ......

Ed have you found that accelerating from 1st to 3rd gear nets you fastest acceleration?

The Spec B would be faster on a road course, but it is still not a track car. Why fight to make it one? Get a WRX or beater Porsche and go have some fun n a road course.

Because you can? For some, the Legacy is their only car and that doesn't mean that they shouldn't enjoy it via drag racing, road course, etc. Not everyone can just go out and buy a second vehicle to use as a track car. For the few times a year I could make it out to a road course (open track day), that didn't mean that I didn't have fun in the car I was in (hint, my E36 M3/4 and Audi S4 weren't track cars either).

http://www.gotoracing.com/cgi-bin/gotogallery/image-cache/ButtonWillowPreSeasonTesting2006/PICT0033_disp512.jpg

I just find it funny how pre-07 Spec B owners always have to justify their purchase. 07 has a 6-speed and that by itself is the deal maker!

I've never justified my purchase of an '06 spec.B to anyone but myself. It's still a great car. The 6-speed is far from a deal maker (at least for me). I've gone from a 6-speed in the S4 to a 5-speed in a WRX, then to a 6-speed in a WRX STi, and now a 5-speed in the LGT. *shrug* On the other hand, I do want the memory front seats and 60/40 split/fold rear seats... ;)

-Mike-

Not exactly. the SpecB 6sp when taken:

top of 1st gear then 3rd gear will net you quickest acceleration (puts you into 3k rpm in 3rd where you already have boost).

I very highly doubt that. Peak torque at the engine isn't everything. You need to factor in the gear ratios which greatly affect wheel torque.

A while back a number of us worked out that the optimal shift points for a stock LGT with 5MT were pretty much 6000+ throughout the gears. I don't know if the same is true with the 6MT with its closer ratios, but I can't see skipping a gear to be desirable. With the 5MT, the 1 to 2 shift was the biggest ratio change, and at no RPM below red line could 2nd deliver the same wheel torque as 1st. The other shifts would show a crossover point 6000+.

Hello.... this has been discussed to death in multiple threads already....

We concluded after like 15 pages I believe that the few tenths difference in performance numbers was likely due to suspension/tire differences (05 GT best 13.9, 06 Spec best 13.7), get over it....

and SEARCH....

I very highly doubt that. Peak torque at the engine isn't everything. You need to factor in the gear ratios which greatly affect wheel torque.

A while back a number of us worked out that the optimal shift points for a stock LGT with 5MT were pretty much 6000+ throughout the gears. I don't know if the same is true with the 6MT with its closer ratios, but I can't see skipping a gear to be desirable. With the 5MT, the 1 to 2 shift was the biggest ratio change, and at no RPM below red line could 2nd deliver the same wheel torque as 1st. The other shifts would show a crossover point 6000+.

Look at wheel torque here that was taken at Rallitek. Proves what I've been talking about for some time.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/images/stories/avostories/rallitek_dyno/specb_dyno_001.gif

A 6 speed with closer ratios would be worthless. Having a 6th gear that's taller than my current 5th would be... heaven. High speed cruising would be great at a lower RPM.

I was under the assumption that the '07's 6th gear was taller, but if it doesn't, than I definitely don't rank it as high an upgrade that I did before. And I agree closer ratios would be basically pointless.

Look at wheel torque here that was taken at Rallitek. Proves what I've been talking about for some time.
That proves nothing. It doesn't show the effect of different gears.

There are different ways to display the effect of gearing. Here is one way. Where curves cross is a shift point (in MPH for this graph). Notice the large gap in the 1st to 2nd shift. There is no point where 2nd is preferable to 1st in terms of whp. 1st and 3rd gears are even further apart; you'd drop from about 190whp to 80whp with that shift. It is hard to imagine the SpecB's slightly tighter ratios making much impact on these curves, especially enough to justify a 1st to 3rd shift.

Archived