LegacyGT.com

GT vs. Spec-B

Ok so most reviews for the 06 GT Sedan say it does the 1/4 mile in 14.2-14.4, but they say that the Spec-B does it in 13.7. How could the same car with the same power run almost a half second faster? All the Spec-B has is stiffer suspension, and it can't weigh less because it has more interior goodies. Does anyone know the deal with that?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, the Spec.B has 20 more hp to go with the more efficient suspension. At least that's the rumor. The 0-60s times are also quicker.

The Spec.B OEM tires are a slightly larger diameter which should be a penaltly torque wise.

BTW, the Spec. suspension isn't stiffer. It's more supple in a word. And the extras weigh more.

Apparently, the Spec.B has 20 more hp to go with the more efficient suspension. At least that's the rumor. The 0-60s times are also quicker.

:whore: to that... we need more spec b dynos to know for sure.

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

The Spec.B OEM tires are a slightly larger diameter which should be a penaltly torque wise.

BTW, the Spec. suspension isn't stiffer. It's more supple in a word. And the extras weigh more.

:rolleyes:

Vimy is SpecB zealot. There was on report of a single 2007 SpecB doing better on a dyno than a regular LGT. Vimy assumes all SpecBs, 2006 or 2007 have more power than regular LGT....

I have a 2006 Spec B. I test drove many Legacy GT. Do not worry, they are both fast enough. You will not notice the difference between 13.5 and 14.5 and it does not make a difference in real world driving. I suspect that the difference in testing results were from the performance variances that occur with all cars of the same model, weather, driver, fuel, load, altitude and timing equipment.

I cannot believe how much people fret and freak out over a few tenths of a second for a street car, especially a 4 door family car like a Legacy.

You will not notice the difference between 13.5 and 14.5 and it does not make a difference in real world driving.

Um, thats a huge difference in power. thats the diffecernce between a stock gt and a stage 2 gt in most cases. 1 sec difference in the 1/4 mi is a noticeable difference you will feel.

:icon_roll

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, sure Subaru added this increase and didn't care to market or advertise it come on!

My guess is the test drivers drove the Spec B closer to its limits compared to the LGT test drives. Ther haven't been too many reviews to begin with, and the only review I have every seen which all limits were pushed involved a Spec B being tookin to the limit not an LGT.

Where can you do an all out 1/4 mile run legally on the street? You cannot even do that in Germany, unless of course you took off from the shoulder of the Motorway in a none restricted area with no traffic! And if you drove like that every day your clutch would take an awful beating in an AWD Subaru.

You would notice .5 second differene in 0-75 mph times without instruments? The really useful power is 50mph to 80mph in a higher gear without shifting. Both the Legacy GT and Spec B feel the same.

You speed freaks should buy a beater car for track days, perhaps an old Porsche 911, you can get one for under $10,000, or a 944 for under $5000. Then you can have fun and learn how to drive. 0-60 or 1/4 mile, fighting to shed a part of a second off the time is boring. Drive a road course and see how the old lady in the Miata will smoke the tool in the Vette because she knows how to drive; now that is fun!

My Spec B is a great car, and it is fast. But regular cars like CAMRY or Altima are almost as fast in the 1/4 mile. The Spec B would be faster on a road course, but it is still not a track car. Why fight to make it one? Get a WRX or beater Porsche and go have some fun n a road course.

You would notice .5 second differene in 0-75 mph times without instruments? The really useful power is 50mph to 80mph in a higher gear without shifting. Both the Legacy GT and Spec B feel the same.

Sorry, but if the difference is 1 second quicker between the two cars in the 1/4 mile you will feel a difference between the two cars. (off the track)

Vimy is SpecB zealot. There was on report of a single 2007 SpecB doing better on a dyno than a regular LGT. Vimy assumes all SpecBs, 2006 or 2007 have more power than regular LGT....

Uncle, I agree about Vimy being a Spec B zealot... :) but there are 2 Spec B's out there. The 06 tested by Rallitek I think (it came out on Dsport Mag) and the latest 07 Dyno run that you mentioned. The 06 excuse was one of an optimistic Dyno and the 07 dyno run raised some eyebrows.

But overall..whether or not there is some extra oomph in the spec B, it really isn;t too noticeable. I think the biggest difference in numbers is a result of the suspension and tires as well as the testing conditions..

It's really hard to validate these magazine performance numbers on a scientific level when there are so many variables involved - including the fact that there were probably different drivers behind the wheel for these tests.

I've never heard of the specB = more HP rumor. Won't believe it until I see a dyno test. LGT vs specB on same dyno should settle this.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

That appears to be what the evidence anedotal and otherwise seems to suggest. :icon_bigg

What evidence? You can't point to a single instance of a SpecB and a Legacy GT being tested back to back at the same facility using the same environmental and load variables. Car mag tests are not evidence.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46379&highlight=SPEC+dyno

Car mags that do hundreds of 0-60 tests are pretty good anecdotal evidence.

I kept thinking about my question after i posted it, and I am surprised no one has mentioned this: the Spec-B has a totally different transmission, with totally different gearing. That could easily be the difference between a 13.7 and a 14.2. As far as the Spec-B having more power, not a chance.

^ Not according to that dyno test which showed the Spec.B to have 20 more whp or the mag 0-60 test that had the Spec. doing it in 5.1 seconds. There has to be something there as the taller OEM wheels would normally constitute a penalty as far as torque application.

I kept thinking about my question after i posted it, and I am surprised no one has mentioned this: the Spec-B has a totally different transmission, with totally different gearing. That could easily be the difference between a 13.7 and a 14.2. As far as the Spec-B having more power, not a chance.

The 07 SPec B has the different gearing..I thought the 06 spec B's had the same??

LGT: 13.95 @ 97.5mph

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050704/FREE/507040714&SearchID=73264977335167

spec b: 14.0 @ 96.5mph/98mph

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0602_midsize_awd_sedan_comparison/specs_price.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroadtests/10775/2006-subaru-legacy-25gt-specb-page2.html

in summation, reg LGT is conclusively faster based upon these definitive magazine road tests that i alone get to pick and choose for comparative purposes

Torque aplication would be force. No?
Well, maybe I misstated. The 4% taller wheels is pretty much equivalent to a 4% lower final drive ratio. Do you measure different power with different drive ratios? Not really since power is force x speed. The force will go down 4% but the speed will go up 4%, and thus they cancel out.

Archived