LegacyGT.com

Who has put on their snows?

STiSubie109

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine were put on this past Friday... Dunlop Wintersport M3's. I felt a little guilty putting 800 miles on them during 3 days of 30-50 degree driving on dry pavement.

Hopefully they will hold up through at least two seasons...

That's why I went with the A/S ContiExtremes. There just isn't enough inclement weather producing bad driving conditions around these parts to necessitate true snows for my general driving purposes.

For instance, we have had some fairly heavy rainfalls with temperatures down in the 30s which would have seriously compromised my OEM true summer tire set up. Then again, we just had (having, it ends Thursday apparently) Indian Summer here for the last week or so with temps in the upper 60s with bone dry roads which would eat true snows. The ContiExtremes are supposedly pretty decent in snow and have a cold weather component in the rubber so I should be pretty much good to go (knock wood).

That's why I went with the A/S ContiExtremes. There just isn't enough inclement weather producing bad driving conditions around these parts to necessitate true snows for my general driving purposes.

For instance, we have had some fairly heavy rainfalls with temperatures down in the 30s which would have seriously compromised my OEM true summer tire set up. Then again, we just had (having, it ends Thursday apparently) Indian Summer here for the last week or so with temps in the upper 60s with bone dry roads which would eat true snows. The ContiExtremes are supposedly pretty decent in snow and have a cold weather component in the rubber so I should be pretty much good to go (knock wood).

I definitely see your point there and I have considered running a high quality all-season tire for the late fall -> early spring. However, the Dunlops are rated very well on treadwear and the tire performs admirably on dry pavement. If I save the "spirited" driving for the colder days then I should have no problem getting 3 or 4 seasons out of these without having comprimised my snow/rain traction. I would think that Chicago would be similar to Boston when it comes to winter conditions and if that is true, you know full well that any extra traction is worth the tradeoff of slightly higher treadwear.

Edit: I'm sorry, you did specify "true snows" which is not what I am running. The M3 is a winter tire, not a dedicated snow tire.

They're not that bad. The reason alot of people switch to snows is that they run dedicated Summer tires so must run something different in the Winter. I have Proxes 4's, supposedly an all season tire. No way! I ran them last year when they had about 5K miles on them and they sucked. They now have about 18K and are better than 1/2 gone. I need snows as well, but am procrastinating on the decision of what to get.

My potenzas were more than adequate for snow the first winter. All things considered they felt stable, gave descent traction, and did their job. That being said, you still have to adjust for driving to the conditions. Forward grip was fine, lateral grip was the worst of it, but definetly manageable, especially for someone coming from a FWD vehicle with all seasons, you'll be more confident. This was about 10-20k miles on them.

Last year, my second winter with about 30-40k+ miles they were definetly showing their wear. With about half the tread gone, they were much more slippery and deinfetly noticable. Braking and traction abilities were definetly evident. They had some issues with clearing the slush and heavy stuff for sure. They managed, but you had to be much more careful.

This summer / fall is when they finally started to show the bad side of things. I've finally ditched them with a total of about 60k on them. They certainly had more tread life left, i probably could have gotten another 20k, but their wet traction just became scary at times. If you can't tell most of my miles are highway. All things considered i thought they did alright over thier lifetime. Would i buy them again, who knows. They were fine for my driving style most of the time and if i could get some cheap take offs, i'd definetly consider it.

This year i put on Dunlop M3's. Right away, we had some heavy rain for a period and i was pumped as these were FAR superior to the RE92's, but mostly because i was used to worn tires by then. No snow yet, but the M3's even as a performance winter far exceed the potenzas in just about every aspect. I can't wait for snow now. Looks like we'll have some on monday!

Bottom line, unless you are where snow is going to cover the ground completely non-stop, i think you can manage easily on new potenzas. Once they get some wear on them, you'll want to probably look for something else.

Am I REALLY stupid to stay with the Potenza's through this winter?

Are they REALLY that bad?

Please don't flame. I'm looking for an honest answer. I'm not planning on ice racing in them. For a normal commute, do they REALLY suck?

Depends on your winter driving ability and need/desire to get out during height of storm or not. Lastly how worn are they. I have owned 3 sets OEM(Civic, WRX, LGT) and find them ok at 30-40% worn but they due go down hill after that in winter.

If you go for winters get performance(more $$$) ones otherwise they really ruin the driving experience except for those 5-10days/winter you really need them.

Ok, ok, ok...I stopped procrastinating and ordered the Tirerack "Preferred Package" - Blizzak LM-25 215/45-17 mounted on ASA JH3 17x7.5. Came to $1,008.79 mounted and delivered and should be here in less than a week. I almost cheaped out and got the Graspic DS-2 instead to save almost $120, but the "Q" rating on the Graspic's and the positive LM-25 reviews by fellow LGT owners on Tirerack, there were 2 that I saw from NJ and CT (I think) sealed the deal.:icon_bigg

The Graspic could not have been as mushy as the 1st Gen Blizzak. I bought a set in '95 for my Ford Probe GT. It was like driving on sponges on dry pavement, but in the snow...WOW! It was better than any awd car with all seasons I've ever owned.

The Graspic could not have been as mushy as the 1st Gen Blizzak. I bought a set in '95 for my Ford Probe GT. It was like driving on sponges on dry pavement, but in the snow...WOW! It was better than any awd car with all seasons I've ever owned.

I had the same deal on my 95 Civic Ex. Guess what was OEM and 2nd winter at 30k miles nearing dangerous, the RE92 which I have been cursed with again now. I bought the WS-50 in 1996 and the car was unstoppable in snow. Otherwise absolute garbage on wet/dry.

I installed Nokian RSi on stock wheels Saturday. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised how they do on dry. They definitely have a bit more squirm feel than my 7/32 RE92s, but I thought it would be worse with R rating, 12/32 tread, etc. This morning on 35F wet roads they were definitely better than the worn RE92s.

They are also quieter than I expected. They are most noticeable as a bit of hum at 40-45mph. Above that and wind noise dominates. At 75mph I doubt I could tell the difference with the RE92s in terms of noise.

The 205/50R17 seems to be a good size for the car. They don't look noticeably narrower than the RE92s, the extra 1/4-inch ride height isn't noticeable, yet I think they will eat up potholes better.

I can't wait for some snow and ice. Of course, with my first winter tires in years, this will likely be the warmest winter on record for Boston.

--Lee

The RSI's were designed for European conditinos, where they blast down the Autobahn/Strada/Route and then up into the Alps. So on dry roads or in rain they're not bad.

Mine go back on later this week.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

That wonderful man in the big brown truck (I like to think of him as the grown-up's Santa this time of the year :lol: ) delivered these yesterday. :icon_bigg They are the Tirerack "Preferred Package". Oh yeah, the day I placed the order, a sales rep called back saying that this was an "agressive fit" (thought it was your "Preferred Package" for my car :confused: ) which means people have reported fit "issues", ie. rubbing. It's a 17x7.5 +45 offset wheel and a stock size tire, 215/45-17 so I can't imagine any fit "issues". Gonna wait until snow is forecast until I put them on. Better not be a fit "issue". :icon_mad:

CIMG1025.thumb.JPG.3d428f6172ad95ae3b633d88179727ce.JPG

CIMG1026.thumb.JPG.3cfbbbee841b939ed070bfae6200a64e.JPG

CIMG1027.thumb.JPG.b1770df56c95d5fc66b2ffb71a25bb66.JPG

......Gonna wait until snow is forecast until I put them on. Better not be a fit "issue". :icon_mad:

If you are not doing the install yourself at great local place that is very quick (just call ahead to check) and cheap($12!) to do the switchover is Stratham Tire in Brentwood, NH.

Archived