LegacyGT.com

Who has put on their snows?

STiSubie109

That wonderful man in the big brown truck (I like to think of him as the grown-up's Santa this time of the year :lol: ) delivered these yesterday. :icon_bigg They are the Tirerack "Preferred Package". Oh yeah, the day I placed the order, a sales rep called back saying that this was an "agressive fit" (thought it was your "Preferred Package" for my car :confused: ) which means people have reported fit "issues", ie. rubbing. It's a 17x7.5 +45 offset wheel and a stock size tire, 215/45-17 so I can't imagine any fit "issues". Gonna wait until snow is forecast until I put them on. Better not be a fit "issue". :icon_mad:

A few months ago, the TireRack LGT preferred fitment was this rim but in +48 offset. These are closeout rims, so they may have run out of +48 offset. The +45 offset is actually the preferred fitment for the 2004 STi in order to clear the brembos.

I bought this exact rim in the +45 offset because I am planning to get a set of brembo brakes sometime soon. With 225/45/17 Dunlop 3D and a -1 camber, I'm going to have to say that it will most likely rub the rear weatherstripping. This is based upon what I have on my car right now.

With the 215 tire, you may clear.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That wonderful man in the big brown truck (I like to think of him as the grown-up's Santa this time of the year :lol: ) delivered these yesterday. :icon_bigg They are the Tirerack "Preferred Package". Oh yeah, the day I placed the order, a sales rep called back saying that this was an "agressive fit" (thought it was your "Preferred Package" for my car :confused: ) which means people have reported fit "issues", ie. rubbing. It's a 17x7.5 +45 offset wheel and a stock size tire, 215/45-17 so I can't imagine any fit "issues". Gonna wait until snow is forecast until I put them on. Better not be a fit "issue". :icon_mad:

I bought those same rims and got the same call from tirerack, (nice of them to call and explain the situation), they explained to me that not all of the Legacy's have the rubbing issue, and if I do have it, it's as simple as heating up the plastic inside the wheel well and pushing it up a bit further to create some additional clearance. I haven't put them on yet, so I can't say if mine rub or not, and I haven't poked my head into the wheel well to investigate too much further.

The offset is now 10mm different from stock. The stick wheel leaves about 10mm buffer on the inside, and 2-2.5cm on the outside. IIRC, lower offset = move tire outwards = 10mm more room on the inside & 1-1.5mm room left on the outside. So basically it sounds to me like you're fine. But check the XenonK-based wheel/tire thread for more reliable info.

• 2 weeks later...
Am I REALLY stupid to stay with the Potenza's through this winter?

Are they REALLY that bad?

Please don't flame. I'm looking for an honest answer. I'm not planning on ice racing in them. For a normal commute, do they REALLY suck?

My RE-92s are pushing 50,000 and are entering their third winter. There was some major hydroplaning last April and that bit of snow we had last month made for one exciting morning, but it could have been boring if I'd let it. That's not the best way to walk into a winter, so I'm replacing them soon (can you feel the sense of urgency?). Nothing special- My tire guy has Remingtons.

There's nothing wrong with the RE-92s. They did fine the last two winters. They may be easier to overdrive than other, better tires, but whose fault is that? You're a recovering (I hope) masshole, you should know how to drive in snow. Anything that isn't bald should be fine for you, if not the most fun things out there. You won't be Superman, but you'll be fine.

Why unplug the ABS? It's not particularly intrusive.

With all the Subarus I've owned, I've only found it to be effective when you're running dedicated snows. Anything less, the ABS loses too much pressure because non-snows just want to slide. Then you just end up rolling into another car or into traffic. I like being able to control my brakes myself.

Ok guys, I live on the Cape and I commute to school and work in Boston 4 days a week. We had that blast of snow a few weeks ago on my commute up to work. The RE92s suck. flat out. I was hydroplanning in slush only going 60mph on the highway. And I can't afford to buy a set of summer tires and a set of winters. But I deff need something better than these RE92s for this winter. Any suggestions? And oh yah, I'm looking to spend 4-500 tops on tires. Once I move out to cali next summer I won't have to worry about it. So I guess I'm looking for a cheap fix to get me through this winter. Any ideas?

Ok guys, I live on the Cape and I commute to school and work in Boston 4 days a week. We had that blast of snow a few weeks ago on my commute up to work. The RE92s suck. flat out. I was hydroplanning in slush only going 60mph on the highway. And I can't afford to buy a set of summer tires and a set of winters. But I deff need something better than these RE92s for this winter. Any suggestions? And oh yah, I'm looking to spend 4-500 tops on tires. Once I move out to cali next summer I won't have to worry about it. So I guess I'm looking for a cheap fix to get me through this winter. Any ideas?

Just get a decent all-season in a 205/50 or 45 fitment.... no more hydroplaning and you'll have some good back-ups after you move out to cali and switch to something stickier.

With all the Subarus I've owned, I've only found it to be effective when you're running dedicated snows. Anything less, the ABS loses too much pressure because non-snows just want to slide. Then you just end up rolling into another car or into traffic. I like being able to control my brakes myself.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, I run dedicated snows, so that's all I have to base my experience on, but my ABS absolutely is the only reason my '05 STi wasn't all dinged up the first winter I had it.

My fault though, I wasn't paying attention and traffic had stopped, I stomped on the brakes, and realized there wasn't enough room, so I turned the wheel. I was, thankfully, able to turn because my wheels hadn't locked up.

Needless to say, I was convinced. :)

Archived