LegacyGT.com

LGT spec.B review in Vehicle Voice

DukeTrout

I searched and could not find a prior reference to this one. Hopefully not a repost:

http://blog.vehiclevoice.com/on_the_road_driving_impressions/

Text:

"

October 17, 2006

Practicality Meets Performance – 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Spec.B

Walking over to a Subaru Legacy doesn’t usually get my blood pumping or adrenaline going. The Subaru marqué typically conjures up visions of moving to Oregon, growing a beard or taking hikes through the redwood forest in my Birkenstocks. So, when asked to test-drive the Legacy sedan over the weekend I didn’t exactly burst into the parking lot skipping with glee. However, my experience with this sedan over the weekend would prove to be unbelievable. It has changed the way I look at Subarus... and Subaru owners...

In fact, as VehicleVoice and AutoPacific staff members drove the Legacy, opinions shifted.

http://blog.vehiclevoice.com/SpecBFront.jpg The Subaru Legacy GT Spec.B lives at the top of the Subaru food chain and does for the Legacy what the WRX STI did for the Impreza. It gives consumers a performance option and turns this four-door sedan into the ultimate Legacy. Relatively the same size as a Mazda6 the Legacy Spec.B is a fairly refined sport sedan with an edge.

The Ultimate ‘Sleeper’?

http://blog.vehiclevoice.com/SpecBeng.jpg Aesthetically, this four door sedan may be a little on the boring side but at the heart of the Spec.B lives a turbo-charged 2.5 Liter horizontally opposed engine pumping out 243 horsepower and 241 lb. Feet of torque. The ‘Boxer’ 4 is mated to a tight six-speed manual transmission and although I found the shifter knob positioned a little high, it did offer short throws and precise gates. The smooth shifting tranny is linked with a fairly light clutch and Subaru’s symmetrical all-wheel-drive with a limited slip rear differential. This drivetrain provided unbelievable traction and allowed for sharper turn-in through corners.

It was very appropriate that it should rain the night I took the Subaru Spec.B home as Subaru’s are loved in inclement weather regions throughout the nation and it’s not often that it rains here in sunny southern California. The full-time 'symmetrical' all-wheel-drive was great and quite comforting. I did not feel any slippage or traction control issues. Through turns and around town the Spec.B remained composed with a firm but pleasant ride while providing me with valued feedback through the stock MOMO® steering wheel. I felt in tune with the road and with the vehicle, which instilled a sense of confidence.

SI-DRIVE

Another notable feature was the SI-DRIVE, which only affects drivetrain. This system includes a rotary dial mounted on the center console, providing three-modes of performance: Intelligent (I), Sport (S), and Sport Sharp (S#). This system allows the driver to manage acceleration characteristics, which in turn could translate into fuel economy. Subaru claims that it’s ‘like having three engines in one’. It may be a gimmick but you could definitely feel the difference. It essentially provided 3 different throttle calibrations and computer control maps. Intelligent mode is said to save fuel consumption by as much as 10%, with the green shift point arrow illuminating between 2K and 3K RPM. I can see how this would save fuel but in my opinion it completely neuters the driving experience and any reason for lugging around that TURBOCHARGED boxer engine. The Sport mode is the reasonable middle ground and the Sport Sharp mode is for a no holds barred experience.

Did you say Alcantara®?

http://blog.vehiclevoice.com/SpecBinterior.jpg The Subaru Spec.B comes with a myriad of standard features. From the touch screen GPS navigation to the tire pressure monitoring system and a two-tone interior consisting of gray leather and blue Alcantara® inserts (Alcantara is an “ultra-microfiber” fabric that could be likened to suede). The navigation system was not as helpful as it could have been when searching for Points of Interest and although I liked the Alcantara® inserts, I would have preferred a light grey.

The Spec.B with its long list of standard features, four doors, plenty of trunk space, light clutch, and relative lack of turbo-lag could definitely be considered a versatile everyday driver. I was surprisingly pleased with the Spec.B’s performance characteristics and little extras. The Subaru Legacy GT Spec.B is one of the best four-cylinder, four door sedans I've ever driven. Nevertheless, with a sticker price of around $34K I think I would need to go test-drive the MazdaSpeed6 or Subaru's WRX STI before making a purchase.

http://blog.vehiclevoice.com/SpecBRear.jpg Pros:

Fun to drive

Youthful 2.5 Turbocharged H-4 Engine

Tight 6-speed transmission

Limited Slip rear differential

Large trunk space

Nice interior for a Subaru

Symmetrical all-wheel-drive

SI-DRIVE

Attention to detail/little extras (e.g. Sun visor extensions, lumbar support, aluminum pedals, etc.)

A real hood scoop that serves as functional intake for the intercooler

Cons:

Nav system has room for improvement (specifically POI)

Poor placement of heated seat controls

Shifter knob was a little high (maybe personal preference)

Blue inserts in the seats and interior door panels (*Really liked the fabric but optional colors would be nice)"

Interestingly, they considered the trunk size to be good. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Interestingly, they considered the trunk size to be good. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Do ppl really complain about the LGT trunk size? I thought that thread was a joke, the trunk size is just fine for a sedan of that size, esp with the fold down seats in the 07, but i guess some ppl need to haul furniture or large bodies on a regular basis *shrug*

Ed

^^

No flip down seats would drive me crazy. The 07's are blessed with this simple and important feature.

That's why I drive a wagon though...

BTW, great review, even though I've never heard of VehicleVoice...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
The interior definately needs to have some options. I went out of my way to find and 06 soley based on this. Now that I have the 06 I am glad to be able to use the AP but I did not know that when I was purchasing as I told myslef this would be my mod free daily driver. (stage 2 ordered a tmic (shoudl I have went fmic??) today and am probably going to guinea pig a turbo for ITS)

Holy resurrection Batman!

You should stay TMIC if you are going to stay with the VF40 stock turbo. It is not powerful enough to push through a front mount. Glad to hear your with the mod squad.

Do ppl really complain about the LGT trunk size? I thought that thread was a joke, the trunk size is just fine for a sedan of that size, esp with the fold down seats in the 07, but i guess some ppl need to haul furniture or large bodies on a regular basis *shrug*

Ed

When you compare the LGT to other cars in its size/class, it has a noticably smaller trunk...its at least much much shallower. This comes in to play when you might have a kid or two, and you need to stuff all your baby crap and/or strollers in the trunk, plus whatever other junk you typically leave in your trunk. For me, its photography gear. It just barely all fits, and when my baby is born in the next few weeks, it will complicate my trunk space issues further.

Just my $.02

I hardly touch the si-drive or heated seat controls. I would love to have the si drive removed from the center and move the cup holders up a few inches. heated seat controls could be placed on the panel with all the other fan controls.

I hardly touch the si-drive or heated seat controls. I would love to have the si drive removed from the center and move the cup holders up a few inches. heated seat controls could be placed on the panel with all the other fan controls.

But..but...how do you get it in S# if you don't touch the dial!!!:lol:

I like the cupholders where they are... anything tall in the forward holder, and it gets in the way of my arm when shifting.

Werd.

90% of my driving is in "I" mode. If I remember I will set it to "S" on the freeway, but I rarely drive on the highway and I always forget. If I am on the street and I want to pass some a**hole, I put it in S# for the extra kick. I don't want to pass someone when I have ~80 less hp in "I" mode and have them think thats all my car is capable of :lol:.

S# gets used when I start to think my car is slow and needs power mods. A few minutes in S# reminds me that I still have plenty of fun sitting at the right side of that dial :lol:. It's mainly only used for my weekend fun drives to the beach, out to mt hood, mt st helens, wilsonville, etc.

I leave my car on 'I' mode most of the time as well, only in low speed traffic so i switch it back to 'S' because it tends to bog a bit off the line in I. If i want to pass or goof around i switch it to S#

I don't really use "S" except when the car is warming up. I keep it in S# most of the time, unless I'm in traffic where any amount of boost is wasted, when I'll switch to I. Must be working - I'm averaging 20.5 mpg with mixed hwy/city driving, and plenty of spirited driving.

Archived