LegacyGT.com

Tire width with 20G power?

warnoldscu

Hey guys... I was just wondering what size tires people are putting on their high power leggies? I've got a well-tuned 20g with FMIC and I'm thinking I should go a little wider than the typical 7.5" wide tires... what would you guys recommend or what do you have on your setups wheel/tire-wise?

I guess I should specify that I'd like an 18" wheel that's mostly for street but light enough for the occasional track day and tires that'll stick well without being overkill. Anyway, thanks for the input guys

:lol:

You mods be nice! :p

But to answer the OP's question ... with the AWD system in the suby, you certainly won't be overpowering the tires. Worry more about tires for handling and possibly braking. If you maximize handling, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of what you have to worry about with your power requirements.

As you probably know, with the 20G and a good tune, handling and braking should be your next focus.

For good street and track use, you probably don't want to go anything over a 245 tire, and 235 would probably be sufficient. Try checking out Keefe's guide here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

Then as for tires, just do some research. The RE050A PP has been getting high marks ... for both performance and livability in daily life.

i like bridgstone SO-3's....they are on the heavy side.... but they stick like glue ...my tires are 225/45/17 on a 8 inch rim....my rim weighs about 21lbs and my tire is about 25lbs..

I keep getting mixed reviews on these. I hear that they stick like crazy, but offer a harsh ride, are noisy, and some issues with tramlining.

The rest of the reviews I've read on the RE050A PP have indicated that they stick about as well as the S03 but with better daily comfort.

How long have you had your S03 rubber? What do you use in winter? (not an issue for the OP.

^^^

Which tire? The S03? Not at all. Max performance summer tire.

For all season, look to Bridgestone RE960A/S, Michelin Pilot Sport, Toyo Proxes 4, or Pirelli PZero Nero. Those are just a few popular Ultra-High performance All-Season tire options on the market. More digging will find you more options of course.

Go with a 18x8" wheel with 235/40 18's.

You would really have no problem putting that power down with a 225/40 18. The 235 really fills the fender gap nicely though;)

For all season's..........PZero Nero M&S

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I keep getting mixed reviews on these. I hear that they stick like crazy, but offer a harsh ride, are noisy, and some issues with tramlining.

The rest of the reviews I've read on the RE050A PP have indicated that they stick about as well as the S03 but with better daily comfort.

How long have you had your S03 rubber? What do you use in winter? (not an issue for the OP.

I've had the SO-3's since the spring of 05... I run them about 7 months each season... The sidewalls on these tires are stiff as hell... They can be a little harsh over some stuff, but you can drive with plenty of confidence... I just wish they weren't so dam heavy...They are excellent in the dry and in the rain....Last winter i ran the re92's.. but i sold those earlier this year and I now have Hankook W300 Icebar's on my stock rims... 205/50/17 ...So far these tires seem pretty good on dry surfaces... a little soft on turns... you get a little body roll with these... but not bad... havent had them in the rain or snow yet.... I got them from discounttire.com for 368 shipped...

Got Torque ?

All of the above is true. They're sticky as all hell, especially in wet (I swear they actually get MORE grip in wet). They are noisy as hell, they're a harsh ride (especially comparing them to RE92s), and they tramline.

I bought them on recommendation from 2 coworkers/friends, one who has them on his '98 Integra Type-R and another with an '89 Saab 900 Turbo Conv't. They both agree, you have to keep your hands firmly on the wheel or the road tracks will toss you right off the road, but they offer a level of grip in dry/wet that they haven't found a competitor to.

I'm a big proponent of Continental ContiExtremes. I've heard people compare them with Pzero Nero's a lot; the Conti's tend to lean a little more on dry drip, but gives up a little in the snow compared to the Nero's.

Also, think about this; even a 450hp WRX can't do burnouts. Can you? :lol: I think 225-235's are a good choice for street use. Get whichever width is cheaper/easy to find in whatever tire you choose.

235 on 8 inch rims. 245 on 8.5 inch rims.

This is what I'd recommend if you want wider tires, but that recommendation isn't only for people with 20G turbos, but anyone wanting wider tires :lol:

Also, depending on the tire, you could fit 245s on 8in rims.

Archived