LegacyGT.com

The elusive STi Coilover for Legacy :)

Legacy_Otaku

Hi All,

(Apologies in advance if some of this has been covered before... I just spent an hour in Search finding old threads, but didn't see an answer for some questions I had)...

1. Is the STi Coilover (Bilstein/STi) the "same" (in terms of Ride Quality, Stiffness, etc.) as the JDM Spec. B Bilstein / JDM Spec. B STi Pink separates that people are discussing? (I believe Unclemat has this setup?)

2. Can anyone confirm if the "STi Coilover" that AVOTurboWorld & you all were discussing last year, is the *same* Coilover that's being used in the new "2007 Legacy Tuned by STi"? Or is it even more refined? (this new one looks a little different, IMHO from the older set.)

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/legacytunedbysti/catalog/utility/01/index.html

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/legacytunedbysti/catalog/utility/02/index.html

3. Just to confirm, the STi Coilover that AVO was talking about has only Ride Height adjustability? (and nothing else?)

Thanks in advance!

Ken, I know you like to have the best and don't mind spending some money to get it, but dropping $3K for the STi coilovers is absolutely retarded. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's how I really feel. The STi coilovers are rebadged Bilstein PSS9's. A nice set of coilovers to be sure, but a $1500 set of coilovers. An additional $1500 is a lot to pay for a pink emblem from Subaru ;):lol:.

You certainly don't need to buy them from me, but the KW Variant 2's are a very similar, if not better performing option for half the money of the STi coilovers.

Hey Paul,

Thanks for your advice (as always :)). I didn't post the *rest* of my "potential Coilovers" to buy (in this thread), but an FYI:

* KW :) (believe me, they're front-runners :)

* Endless

* Bilstein/STi combo

I definitely don't want to drop that much (I'm checking Marketplace here and NASIOC in the hopes it might pop up, (yah right ;)).

Just wanted to see how good/bad the various top suspensions are that interested me the most :)).

Thanks!

Ken

You mean Zeal, not Endless. :)

Might I also recommend to you JIC's FLT-A2 coilovers.

Sorry, but I do not agree with that recommendation at all. The JIC are great handling coilovers, but are VERY stiff. From my discussions with Legacy_Otaku, he wanted as civil a ride as possible and is not a track guy.

I found that spring rates of 8k/8k on Cusco ZERO-2's were too much (for me) for street use. That's with damping on full soft. Most coilovers are set up for the track enthusiast. If I were to try a set again on the LGT, I'd have to get something like 5k front/6k rear to be happy.

Sorry, but I do not agree with that recommendation at all. The JIC are great handling coilovers, but are VERY stiff. From my discussions with Legacy_Otaku, he wanted as civil a ride as possible and is not a track guy.

Oh, okay. I did not know he was going for a street setup. Not sure if Zeal would be a good choice either then huh? Brownie points for sure though. Anyways yeah, I have no experience in the ride feel department. :)

Although.... I did ride in Mines' car and his HKS coilovers were awesome. Not too stiff, not too soft. Perfect (I thought). His spring rates were 4kg front, 5kg rear.

-ben

I found that spring rates of 8k/8k on Cusco ZERO-2's were too much (for me) for street use.

I love it!.. But that's probably because I'm not driving it everyday. :p Still, the Cusco Zero2s (at 3/3) feel less stiff/harsh than my '04 STi with just Prodrive springs.

With that, I'd probably get the KW v2 for a good street setup.

-Mike-

I found interesting old thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11545&highlight=pinks+rates

The point is that many coilovers use the same spring rates front/rear, where in our cars due to the multilink suspension the rear spring rates should be higher - this is how the stock springs or pinks are.

KW Coilovers look interesting but they don't have separate preload/height adjustment. And they don't seem to allow for mild drop as Bilstein/Pinks do.

The point is that many coilovers use the same spring rates front/rear, where in our cars due to the multilink suspension the rear spring rates should be higher - this is how the stock springs or pinks are.

Read this thread;

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44070

Keefe runs his Zeal Function V6s with "8kg front and 6kg rears."

-Mike-

Zeal is the only manufacturer that is specing higher front spring rates than rear. Either everyone else has it wrong (including Subaru, who designed that car in the first place) or Zeal is just recycling the spring rates they use on their other Subaru applications without taking into account that the LGT uses a mutilink rear and a strut front and thus sees a lower spring rate at the rear wheels than the nominal rate of the springs.

I'm actually experimenting with 6kg/mm springs both front and rear on my Megan Racing coilovers right now. Just got them on yesterday so I've only driven a couple miles on them. I'll post up more impressions later about the even front and rear spring rates.

BTW, concerning the KW's, while they do not have separate ride height and preload adjustements, the fact that they use tender springs in addition to the main springs means that preload is barely affected when you change the ride height. When I had my car on KW's you could run it anywhere from tucking tire to about 1" lower than stock. Either way, they were very comfortable.

I'm actually experimenting with 6kg/mm springs both front and rear on my Megan Racing coilovers right now. Just got them on yesterday so I've only driven a couple miles on them. I'll post up more impressions later about the even front and rear spring rates.

Keep us posted. :)

-Mike-

Archived