LegacyGT.com

The elusive STi Coilover for Legacy :)

Legacy_Otaku

Let me also add that one man's plush can very easily be another man's bonejarring. I'm a fairly young, performance oriented driver and I found my old Tein Flex coilovers to be more than I could handle on a daily basis. I sold them to a middle aged gentleman with the warning that they were decidedly on the firm side. Guess what... he loves them and finds them perfectly comfortable... Go figure.

I think the Cusco's in SnoDork's car are pretty reasonable riding as well, but obviously PGT doesn't think so. So far though, of all the coilovers I've ridden on or owned, the KW's are the most confortable.

Zeal is the only manufacturer that is specing higher front spring rates than rear. Either everyone else has it wrong (including Subaru, who designed that car in the first place) or Zeal is just recycling the spring rates they use on their other Subaru applications without taking into account that the LGT uses a mutilink rear and a strut front and thus sees a lower spring rate at the rear wheels than the nominal rate of the springs.

Actually it seems everybody has it wrong except Subaru and Tein. Equal rates front and rear is not what Subaru is doing either. Rear > front, it should be accordin to Subaru/STI :confused:.

Wonder what rates Bilstein or STI coilovers have.

My find my KW's are getting less comfortable lately. Perhaps because I haven't lowered my tire pressure from last months track event. Perhaps also because it starting to get cold out. Bushings start becoming stiffer in the winter...?

My find my KW's are getting less comfortable lately. Perhaps because I haven't lowered my tire pressure from last months track event. Perhaps also because it starting to get cold out. Bushings start becoming stiffer in the winter...?

Hey Sutter2k,

How many miles have you put on the KWs? Just curious if it's just wearing out?

Keep us posted! :) (Like I said, KW's are definitely one of the front-runners I'm considering)

Thanks.

Lower you tire pressure to where you normally have it and back off the dampening a 1/4 - 1/2 turn. The oil inside the dampeners is not immune to the laws of physics and if it is much colder now, it will be thicker and thus make the dampeners effectively stiffer. Back down the dampening a touch and your ride should be back to normal.

While on two very different cars, I have experience with both the Bilstein PSS9's and the KW's. When I started looking closely at the Subaru Bilstein coilovers, I do agree they must be part of the PSS9 family. The PSS9's I have installed where for a Porsche 996 C4S. My father and I did a LOT of research before deciding on these. With the spring rates and valving from Bilstein, they are definitely a street set-up, and not track. I can't say for certain on the Subaru version, but I can guess it is not too far off either. As boostjunkie can attest, I have been through my fair share of suspension options. KW's are in my opinion the best option available for daily use. Ride height can be adjusted from stock to tuck very easily, and mostly street use doesn't dictate the need for separate height and preload adjustment. Damping is what really sets the KW's apart, they are definitely in the same league as the PSS9's (which ran us $2200), maybe even more so because of the infinite adjustabilty. Having used both units, I can't imagine the Subaru Bilstien coilovers being worth $1500 over the KW's (bling factor aside).

Archived