LegacyGT.com

How much power can 5eats handle?

automaticsti

agreed.

everything I have read/found out about the 5EAT (neé RE5R05A) indicates that this exact transmission is put behind engines making MORE than 360ftlbs STOCK!

maybe this was a defect or transmission controller failure?

pics of the shredded insides?

its kinda hard to shred planetary gearsets... methinks it was a defective unit.

I'll consult a much more knowledgeable source on this and post tonight.

I'm pretty sure this transmission is used on the titan which produces over 360 "flywheel" torque not to the wheels. A bit more stress.

So i guess the advice is if you have a 5eat with every bolton dont rev past 2500 rpm or you will need your wallet. I'm guessing a bigger turbo will relieve some of the stress because torque is peaked a little later.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, overcoming the brakes?

sounds like this guy really needs a built trans and a transbrake if he wants to launch like that;

stock converter right?

I have a theory about WHY this happened if its a stock TC

from what i remember at the track the car didnt want to stay at the line. torque was over coming the brakes & that was before the gt-headers.......

good info TDC,especally having every bolt on & waiting to get re-tuned.

Ok here is the Bottom line....

A Protuned Stage II+ car can & will frag the tranny if you pawerbrake it to 3500+rpm.

My car & Iamboon's are making much more HP than this particular car. We have had no issues but with our current setup neither of us launch @ more than 2800rpm.

We have no issues & have never had a issue......

Our setup's have quite a bit more Tq than the VF40 yet our Tq peak is around 3900 so there is much less stress on the tranny @ launch.

This tranny in question was also on a track that was EXTREMELY sticky which is always a bad thing for AWD equipped vehicles;)

A good practice is to always check the track prior to running if it is extremely sticky......

come back another day!!!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The shop guys from my local suby store said the tranny was designed for heavy duty use. You figure with the STI block and a majority of the cars being sold as automatics they would be bombproof.

Is there a single member with the 5eat that had had any issues?? I have not seen a thread on the failure of the 5 eat.

I know crawford used it in thier test car.

I am running 340tq 285 hp at the wheels.

I use the sport shift all the time. I love the feel of 7k rpm shift from 1-2 and the 7 k from 2-3 is a real throwback. I have 31k and have changed the fluid/filter twice.

And as we all know the 5eat can run with any lgt stick and enjoy the scenery in the process.

Nothing I'm reading here makes me think the tranny is weak. You can break anything if you try hard enough, and shock loading the tranny with a powerbrake launch is doing just that. Why do you think impact wrenches work so well?

the fact that he was overcoming the brakes without the header, and then didn't rectify the problem with a higher stall converter, then did it AGAIN with more power and obviously kept his foot into it, tells me its not the trans' fault.

I bet his TC flashed to stock stall on the launch and the shockload broke some teeth.

yeah, and someone in there is talking about shift hesitation.

I think we need a new poll with the explicit definition of failed,

i.e.

blew the **** up and spit parts out/won't even move the car its slipping so much

not:

It shifts hard when its cold out

I think a lot of these were defects or other stuff, for instance, I had the shift pin work its way out of my gear selector assembly which locked it in park and it had to be flatbedded away. Didn't mean the trans was borked, the selector was!

anybody have anything to add to this thread. I see there is a poll in another thread stating that there are 11 lgts (at this time) that had their 5eat fail (although they were stock)

over coming the brakes isnt to difficult. at the last track event i went to i managed to over come the brakes several times and "jumped" at the time. each time though i left out of the gas before i launched since i had managed to red light there was no point to push it.

blowing up the tranny wouldnt take all that much work especially if you have ever seen the inside of an auto tranny. there is alot of stuff that goes on inside of one and all it takes is one thing to be out of adjustment and it frags.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

I have hesitation, and quick shifts (not hard ones), and i hope its running normal. I guess there is really no was to know if your tranny is working perfectly without seeing its insides.

for me it was just getting to lauch & boost just built like a MFer. i dont remember the numbers but something to 5psi..... 10+......red light!

just so touchy, a tiny more petal & i would move. its been such a time i dont even remember RPMs i was at.?.?

i do have to say after tuned & then bolt-ons the trans has really come alive.

• 3 weeks later...

Beating a dead horse here. But can this transmission last at basic stage 2 levels up/dp with no tq break? Right now my trans feels a little weird, i dont know if im just freaking out about nothing.

We use the same transmission as a nissan titan right, and it puts down at least 230 whp and over 315 tq stock.

A super-sticky track will blow up AWDs left & right. The track over-prepped one year for the GA 3000GT/Stealth owners track rental and a couple of 3S cars and a DSM or two bit the dust as a result.

It was so sticky at the line that it tried to pull my shoes off as I pushed a broken car back into the staging lanes. That's sticky!

>I see there is a poll in another thread stating that there are 11 lgts (at this time) that had their 5eat fail (although they were stock)<

Can you provide a link to that thread?

Is there any other experience with power-brake launches with fully stock LGTs with 5EAT?

11 gasp.....does that mean they were faulty to begin with.

From what i have seen most stock titans dyno btw 230-250 whp, and 300-320 wtq. That should be less than or equal to a stage 2 legacy. I wish there was a way to test the 5eats strength.

>I see there is a poll in another thread stating that there are 11 lgts (at this time) that had their 5eat fail (although they were stock)<

Can you provide a link to that thread?

Is there any other experience with power-brake launches with fully stock LGTs with 5EAT?

I really think some people were either playing games or didn't/couldn't understand the parameters for that poll. In other words, it don't mean shit. It's a shame, too, because it would've been a great way to track issues with the 5EAT.

Anyway, FWIW, I'm only aware of one failure, that the launching incident reported in this thread.

Archived