LegacyGT.com

Good family car for 30-40 grand

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
G35.......307HP

I do really like the IS350 but a loaded version is just over 43k:(

but it doesnt come in a manual option, lame. only the IS250 comes manual, but I do think the IS's are sexy, get a Mazada 6 with the turbo 256HP I believe

For the parents (because I'm going through the same thing with my folks), I second the vote for the Acura TL.

VW / Audi will give them grief beyond belief. Avoid.

The G35 has lots of horses but the newer it is, the heavier it gets. I'm generally not a Ghosn fan (except for the M series) especially being inside the Japanese automotive industry and hearing how he's gone literally overboard with cost-cutting. Also, the G35 isn't as spacious as it would seem. The rear is more cramped than it should be.

Lexus IS is *super* cramped inside. Ride / engine isn't buttery smooth. If you're thinking about the Avalon and Lexus's, how about the new ES? The ES is my first choice in helping buy my parents' next car. The Lexus means arguably the best dealership service treatment your parents will ever get. Getting a Avalon = dealing, haggling, and being frustrated with the same SA's that deal with Yaris, Corolla, Camry owners, etc.

The current-gen Toyota Avalon initially had its fair share of powertrain issues. Not sure if Toyota has addressed them all in later builds.

Lastly, I also second (or third?) the BMW choice. I just sold off my own 3-series, not because I didn't like it, but for cost-cutting (looking for a Legacy replacement now). You may not feel the horses, but they're there. And boy, are they a treat to drive! (Turning, handling are a dream.) If they're OK with driving for 4 years, worry-free about the maintenance (fully covered form dealer "except gas and tires"), and maybe moving onto something else after that, I couldn't recommend a better "driver's" car with a mix of luxury thrown in.

Besides, in the next MY, the 3-series engines will get upgraded.

Get them to test-drive a Hyundai Azera. Get past the "but it's a Hyundai" mindset and just try one in person; you'll be hooked. Material and build quality are excellent. The interior is huge, and at 6' 2" and 290 lbs, I still have plenty of room in the front or back seat.

It's basically a new Avalon with a 25% discount. Power? Oh yeah - with 263hp and a 5spd automatic, it'll do what you need it to. I'll bet it's quicker than a stock LGT from a roll. Magazines say it's good for 147 mph too :D

http://www.finddoug.com/azera/az1s.jpg

http://www.finddoug.com/azera/az7s.jpg

Features:

17 in wheels, traction & stability control, heated leather seats, 17 cu ft trunk, tilt & telescopic steering wheel, power adjusting pedals, power rear sunshade, power folding mirrors, Infinity sound with 6 disc MP3 changer and sub, front windows = auto down and up, rain sensing wipers, wiper de-icer, full LED tails and brake lights.

The Limited package with every option can be had for just under $30k. Throw in a 10 year warranty and you've got a very attractive package.

I promise, if they drive one, it'll be on their short list for sure.

If performance is not the first priority.......

You can get really good deals on 06 Acura RL's...one of nicest interiors avail today

50K man...

Get an 07 G35!!!!

Way to go, among all the options nowadays, with the exception of the new BMW 335!!!! heheheheheheh

Good luck,

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Besides the Hyundai Azeera, which I drove it and thought to be a very good car for the price, and if glamour is not an issue, I also should address the new Saturn Aura!! Pretty much a rebadged version of the Vaxhaul Vectra, new GM Epsilon platform, and it comes with the 3.6-liter twin-cam high-feature V-6 and 252 hp/260 lb ft torque...

A fully loaded one should cost you around 24K, and it comes with great finish and detaling, the best bang for the buck ever nowadays!!!!

Give it a shot...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

50K man...

Get an 07 G35!!!!

Way to go, among all the options nowadays, with the exception of the new BMW 335!!!! heheheheheheh

Good luck,

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Locally 06 models can be had for 41-44k:)

I def would agree with the 07 G35 though...it would be my first choice!!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Hybrid Camry would be my pick.

IS 250/350 is way too small. Might as well get a coupe.

TL - I'd check to see whether Acura has solved its auto tranny failure problem first.

G35 would be a good choice.

Passat is nice, but I'd worry about reliability.

All others, overpriced or meh.

TL - I'd check to see whether Acura has solved its auto tranny failure problem first.

Good call. The 2002-03 TL-S was in the running for my GF's next car until I found out about the trannies. From what I remember, there is a totally different transmission in the 2004+ models. But don't take my word as gospel ;)

That new Mazda CRX or whatever is called...turbo, mini-SUV, incredibly stylish, awd, powerful, comparable fuel efficiency to the GT. I am sure your mom would like it. Crap , I like it and I am just 17 myself - I just can't afford, must finish high school first to just be able to get a used 05 GT.

I'm kind of a hypocrite-- an advocate of RWD cars not just for track and drifting but for other intrinsic safety purposes as well, but yet I still give high commendations to the ES. That car's pretty solid.

But FWD does kind of fly in the face of your "driver's car" requirement.

Its not like my mother is going to the track and drifting....We will prob have a look at the ES today at the dealer.

Avalon is a really nice family car. It's really roomy, got all the luxuary anyone would want in a car. ANd it's not bad looking either. It's got great turn radious too. It's not sporty but plenty of grunt. I think it's like 280hp.

IS doesn't look small from the outside but inside is really tight. I hated it immediatly when I test drove it.

It's 268 hp, 5 more than the Hyundai. The Azera driver would then be waving $10,000 cash at you that he saved by not choosing the Avalon. If nav is worth $10k to you, be my guest.

I drove 'em all. My mother was looking for a new car last December. The Hyundai pics I showed earlier are of her new car in January. It's been flawless since she got it, and it's still fun to drive. It's a great vacation car. Mom likes it because it's got more room than her previous Grand Marquis and it's just as quick as her old 97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. Its tuning is between the Maxima and Avalon (on purpose); not as harsh as the Maxima but not as numb as the Avalon.

I'm gonna add HIDs and the ol' Azera will be perfect. Seriously - take 20 minutes and drive some of these cars rather than doing all the comparison on paper. You'll be glad you did.

Well update. Lexus dealership was REALLY REALLY NICE! Free drinks and krispy kream donuts!

Found a nice used RX 330 for 30,500. Navi, HID, Heated seats, etc. Had 30,000 miles. We got it down to 29,500 and we had to go eat lunch. Apprently mom goes back and they back down on that deal they made. Shes pissed and sleeping now...I really don't want my rents driving that LX 470. Its needs repairs...so more they drive it, the condition gets even worse..

If you trade in the car, how hard do other dealers look into the used car?

Archived