LegacyGT.com

Good family car for 30-40 grand

Well we have to replace our 10 year old LX 470 because repairs are costing as much as its worth...

No Subaru because well...2 Legacys is one too many. And i doubt my mother wants to drive a WRX.

I've looked at most of the cars in the range and am fond of the Audi A4 (3.2), VW Passat (3.6 4motion), G35 (should I wait or go 07?), Toyota Avalon (Limited), Lexus IS 250 (AWD/RWD) (well 350 is a choice as well).

I'm prob missing a couple others, but its meant to be a driver car...nothing sporty or anything fancy. Luxery is nice to have...Oh ya needs to be decently fuel eff but not have 150 hp or something like that.

Any choices better then others? any I forgot to mention?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new G35 sedan is quite nice.

My dad has a '06 325i. I know it's not on your list, so maybe you aren't considering it. How many people will be riding in the car? The back seat space is decent. Only gripe my dad has is lack of storage cubbies. His old '95 Benz S had lots, so it was a big change.

-ben

Mmm, have you driven the new 3? It's plenty quick, even the 325i.. Not as fast as the LGT, but it's got good grunt.

If you haven't already, try driving a 3. Numbers are deceiving, as they are always understated.

What sold the car to my dad was the whole 4-yr free maintenance thing. It's nothing big, but it's one thing less my dad has to worry about.

BTW, I'm not biased towards the 3 or anything. I just want you to experience what I'm trying to explain :).

-ben

I'm 17 i shouldn't have kids by now...this is for my parents. Thus i would be scarred but i have a Legacy.

300C looks like a freaken tank, not really "in" with my mother's tastes.

I think whatever we get, i'll prob up driving it for a while instead of the Legacy, just to "break it in" so to speak....

I like the 06's Passat's bang for the buck factor, however is relability good?

As I have posted before, I used to be a Nissan whore so take that into consideration when you read my suggestions:

• 2007 Infiniti G35x (AWD version) - Very good car, the redesign includes some very useful and trick features.
  • 2006/07 Infiniti M35 - Bigger than the G35, can be equipped to cost 50k, but comes standard with some nice amenities. You should be able to get 2006 models for less.
  • Toyota Avalon is a good choice, basically a Lexus without the badging or same upper-echelon service (not to say Toyota has bad service, just the Lexus is one of the best around)
  • Acura TL - the redesign in 2004 corrected many of the prior generation's faults. Its bigger brother, the RL comes in AWD (and the TL might at this point as well, but not sure)

Archived