LegacyGT.com

Where to take your car for work in SoCal.

Rommel

What??? It's ($180) for two hours of labor and $50 TB = ($230 tops) unless you add-in a new water pump ($100) and TB Tensioner ($110) - then you're looking at ~$500 tops (including labor).

You can do a timing belt in 2 hours? Your my hero!

Dale Most places charge about $1k just for the timing belt service. This includes water pump and pulleys. Timing belt is a good 4-5 hour job. Radiator has to come out, must have proper tools to hold cams and set belt.

If you are getting quoted $500 with parts go for it (if you trust them). Because some one should call the Sheriff.. You just robbed the place. Timing belt, pulleys and water pump are $340 plus shipping.

Even for a 2.5i it is not $500.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mike - the prices I quoted above for Hanger's 2.5 SOHC were off of 1stsubaruparts.com. And I should have added in another $40 for coolant - my bad.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Parts, yes. You can get parts for less than $500. I charge $340 for a Gates timing belt, water pump, pulleys and tensioner (for an LGT). Add in coolant for less than $40.

Its the labor. Most places want $500 for parts and another $500 or so for labor. 2.5i is not much easier than LGT. Process is 90% the same.

If Michael is short funds, I would just have the two services done separately. No matter where he brings it.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I've been putting up with my squeaky brakes for far too long. I am officially over them and will do whatever is needed to get them to stop squeaking. I apparently have plenty left on my front pads and half way on the rears.

Are there any respectable shops in San Diego or within a 100 mile radius that can do a good job? Or, can anyone recommend a replacement/upgrade that will make me happy? :)

I'm still on stock wheels, not planning on replacing those at the moment. Is there anything decent that will still allow me to use the stock wheels? If not, is it worth going all the way and get new wheels to fit better brakes?

Thanks!

^ This!

If you can tear down the brakes, pop out the pads and re-lube the backing plates, I'd imagine that your screeching/squealing will go away. Those plates are there predominantly to keep those noises at bay.

While you're in there, you might as well re-lube your caliper sliders and bleed your brakes if it's been a year or so. Found that SoCal weather swings was hard on the fluid, that and a lot of mountain and desert driving, nearly every weekend.

^ This!

If you can tear down the brakes, pop out the pads and re-lube the backing plates, I'd imagine that your screeching/squealing will go away. Those plates are there predominantly to keep those noises at bay.

While you're in there, you might as well re-lube your caliper sliders and bleed your brakes if it's been a year or so. Found that SoCal weather swings was hard on the fluid, that and a lot of mountain and desert driving, nearly every weekend.

Duh of course, I'll definitely work with Mike. :) We actually did all that when he did the 30k service on the car, didn't help. Jose also tried many things to no avail. I have had this squeaking since the car was new. "Normal" according to Subaru.

I was going to send my Volk GT-Vs to True Wheel in North Hollywood. Recommended on all of the high-end forums for quality and quick turn-around. Really take pride in the work and a job well done. Check some of the before and afters on their website.

Contact info:

True Wheel

12547 Sherman Wy, Ste D

North Hollywood, CA 91605

Neighborhood: North Hollywood

(818) 765-5577

www.truwheel.com/

GL and post up the BF and AFTAs

Thank you very much Dale! I am about 20 minutes from there sans traffic. I will be sure to post up an entire thread about Firestone, what they did, how I handled it and what the end results are. I cant post a thread/be objective about it yet - still too angry/disappointed.

They may "just" be drag wheels but they were my drag wheels and they were FLAWLESS.

Good luck with the 101 Brazilian Arnold. :)

True wheel, repairs cracked wheels too????. My sister in law gave me her crackedOZ supperleggeras. She doesn't know how or when it happen,which suprises me even more.

I wonder - could they have fixed this...from a few years back after an encounter of the pothole from hell kind out in Anza Borrego just North of Ocotillo - not far from Sprank's place.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know any good wheel refinishers in San Diego? after my stupid old roommate jacked them up I feel like getting them just completely refinished. hrmm too bad i cant find anybody that can make them hyper black..

Thank you very much Dale! I am about 20 minutes from there sans traffic. I will be sure to post up an entire thread about Firestone, what they did, how I handled it and what the end results are. I cant post a thread/be objective about it yet - still too angry/disappointed.

They may "just" be drag wheels but they were my drag wheels and they were FLAWLESS.

Just Tire scratched up my then new Rota Subzeros and I made them buy me a new wheel.

Good luck...sorry for the bad news.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• 3 weeks later...

I always used East County Alignments in Santee. Big into the off-road and racing scene and will set up your car to your specs (and make recommendations for the type of driving you do). Took all of my Subes there - they have my highest recommendation. More info here

East County Alignments

(866) 562-4110

10741 Woodside Ave.

Santee, Ca. 92071

Chipped keys - cut and coded for 70 bucks

Ace Hardware in Tustin.

Not sure how many other Ace's have the code machines, and the keys are generic, but I don't care if the key I'm going to cut up for my remote start has a subaru logo on it anyway.

I bet if you took a key you got online they could cut and code it for you for cheap too. Might be a good option for the all in one keys people love so much.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...