LegacyGT.com

Where to take your car for work in SoCal.

Rommel

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drove down on Sat (raining...) I got my 60K service done with M Sprank. Also informed me of torn CV boot on passenger side.... Debating whether to drive down again the price or service is good or just do it locally in OC...

tnks to all..

Thanks for stopping in. Many LGT's have the notorious torn inner CV boot on the passenger side. Seems normal at about 60k. Heat from the DP dries out that boot faster than the rest. Our normal price for an OEM re-built axle and install is $175.

Not one to force a repair, so we noted it and notified the customer of his options.

Any recommendations for a repair shop in the inland empire? Specifically in the Pomona-Upland area.

My son is looking to buy an Outback, and we would like to take the car in for inspection before we buy it.

For that matter, any suggestions where to look for an older Subie in the $4000 price range?

Thanx.

Any recommendations for a repair shop in the inland empire? Specifically in the Pomona-Upland area.

My son is looking to buy an Outback, and we would like to take the car in for inspection before we buy it.

For that matter, any suggestions where to look for an older Subie in the $4000 price range?

Thanx.

I take my 05 LGT to subyspecialties in Monrovia

I'm in Claremont too. Autotrader and craigslist would be good sites to look for used cars. I goggled subaru repair in Upland, and my search result found Superior Subaru in Upland. I don't have any experience with them though.

Thanx.

• 4 weeks later...

Check with your local Subaru dealership. Most (all ?) have this capability. It's even detailed in one of the old End Wrench articles. Personally I wouldn't do it "on-car". It's easy to pull the rotors and take them to a Kragen or one of the other local parts stores. They'll usually turn them (or dress the surface if that's all they need) for $10.00 per/rotor.

Here's how they do it on a Nissan Pathfinder, but the process is the same for Subarus.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2ECRu6Jf4&feature=player_detailpage]On Car Brake Rotor Resurfacing - YouTube[/ame]

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Wow. What an incredibly expensive machine to not have to remove -some- rotors. That would not work on a Subie. Dust shield is in the way. How do you cut the backside? Dust shield is spot welded in place. Get a ride. Pull them and do it the "old" way.

If the caliper is off, the rotor is free to come off too. Wow. Still seems like a bit much, lol. Progress... I suppose. Afaik the machines were created for very specific cars. That require axle bolts be removed to remove the rotor. As for a Subie, your ABS system might just get a bit pissy with a shop turning the rotors on car as it could make the ABS system think the car was spinning the wheels. Which will trigger a CEL that will go away after a bit of normal driving. AWD. Edited by m sprank

I might be running on too little sleep... but I am confused by that last one dale. Lol.

I went down the street today and checked out a machine. The guys behind us have one. But they never use it, unless it is a set up that requires a lot of work to remove the rotor. They really complained about it more than anything. I showed them the vid, and they went "wow that one is huge". The machine they have is smaller. It does attach the rotor to the machine to turn it. But the axle would still be spinning. Hence the issue with Subies and ABS systems. Specifically Subies. They had never done it to a Subie, so I have no reference other than my own twisted visual of the process. Lol. If I am not mistaken, sir a.lim has rotors that are drilled/slotted too. Guys I asked said "no way" to turning those with their machine. We have those done for us by HDS. Takes them about 40 minutes to do 4 when we ask nice. Good to have them 1 block away.

I watched the tech at Subaru of El Cajon (the old Bob Baker Subaru which is now the Elite Auto Group) turn the rotors on our Forester. Pulled the wheel, pulled the caliper, bolted the machine to the rotor/hub assembly and turned both sides. I just don't like the idea of machine turnings in that close proximity to the back of the hub and the fact that it's easier (and much less expensive) to pull the rotors, take them to a shop and have them turned/dressed and reinstall. Good to go.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Ok. So, it did not set off the ABS on your Forester. But, did it have VDC? Very well could set off the ABS on a VDC car. But, good to know. It can be done, and Subie will do it (on stock blanks I am sure). Seems excessive since once the caliper is off the rotor is free. Plus all that metal dust going towards the back of the wheel bearing scares me.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.

So, I have my 60k/6 year service coming up as well as my smog requirement for DMV...I'm currently Stage 2 at the moment with OTS Cobb AP Stage 2 Map.

Was wondering if any local shops (near SGV) would be able to do my 60k service and make me a new stage 2 tune (maybe a smog friendly map as well). Also, anyone know of a 'good' smog shop that does AWD/4WD cars?