LegacyGT.com

how is the stereo in th GT?

shanker

Not the greatest. I got the subwoofer/amplifier upgrade and it makes it acceptable. But compared to other cars who have deals with audio manufacturers like Bose or such, it's a bit disappointing. The VW Monsoon system is far superior and the Bose in my Maxima is also a bit better.

You guys have probably played with the bass / mid / treble controls. For curiousity, I loaded a test CD (not a 20hz-20khz unfortunately just 1khz test tone and fron 200hz on down), used my trusty Radioshack SPL meter and took some measurements. With the controls set to flat, from 160hz to 50hz the frequencies measured were boosted by 7 to 15 db compared to a 1khz reference. This results in a sound that is a bit thick and slow sounding. Each adjustment increment is good for +or- 3 db and the flattest response was with the bass set to -4. Flat doesn't always sound the best, especially in a car, but backing off the bass frees the midrange somewhat and cleans up the sound. Tom

[quote name='GTCanada']You guys have probably played with the bass / mid / treble controls. For curiousity, I loaded a test CD (not a 20hz-20khz unfortunately just 1khz test tone and fron 200hz on down), used my trusty Radioshack SPL meter and took some measurements. With the controls set to flat, from 160hz to 50hz the frequencies measured were boosted by 7 to 15 db compared to a 1khz reference. This results in a sound that is a bit thick and slow sounding. Each adjustment increment is good for +or- 3 db and the flattest response was with the bass set to -4. Flat doesn't always sound the best, especially in a car, but backing off the bass frees the midrange somewhat and cleans up the sound. Tom[/quote] Radioshack SPL meter will not give you accurate results over different frequencies. This isn't what that meter is designed to do. /edit: Although please understand I'm NOT saying the Legacy has flat frequency response, what you are reporting is probably accurate) -Allen

The digital Radioshack SPL meter works very well in setting up home stereo and video gear. It worked fine when I was tuning the placement of a used Carver Sunfire subwoofer I picked up. As far as I know the numbers are accurate. As with most of this stuff, people's tastes vary. On another note, do we know for sure that the fronts are paper? Tom

[quote name='GTCanada']The digital Radioshack SPL meter works very well in setting up home stereo and video gear. It worked fine when I was tuning the placement of a used Carver Sunfire subwoofer I picked up. As far as I know the numbers are accurate. As with most of this stuff, people's tastes vary. On another note, do we know for sure that the fronts are paper? Tom[/quote] Yes it has been confirmed.

[quote]Yes it has been confirmed.[/quote] Thanks. I'm interested in options. I also have a 4 channel Eclipse amp from my WRX that is gathering dust. And not to beat a dead horse, but a quick google gave this ( [url]http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/spl.htm[/url]) which gives some how-to's on using an SPL meter. It can make a difference when setting up home audio gear, especially in an unfamiliar room (new house for example). I used test tones to map out the GT's frequency response. Since I have a set of reference numbers I can use them for comparison if I make any speaker changes. Edit...I quite like the stock stereo so might change nothing. Tom

[quote name='jedimaster']I'm no audiophile. For me, it's awesome. It has great sound, holds 6 CDs, and can store umpteen radio presets.[/quote] I'm going to bust a newbie question, but how many radio presets are allowed in the Legacy? I know there are six buttons. Are there more than six presets allowed? Is there like FM1-FM2, or do you like push a button twice to get more stations or what?
-ben

I have pretty good ears — home stereo has Kef speakers and a Canton subwoofer, Carver electronics — and the stock stereo with the factory subwoofer isn't bad. Actually, frequency response is pretty good, but imaging isn't that great. I thought the tweeters would help give a better sense of space, but no such luck in my car. I do love the 6 CD changer, though — I can keep a CD in at all times for the kids (I drive them a lot) and five for me. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the factory sub.

One way I like to gage is going from one car to the next. I know this isn't good if the car you're going into stereo isn't that good as well, but I know when going from my GT Limited to my wife's Infiniti (with the Bose that I used to think sounded awesome) -- the Subaru wins hands down. The main thing is the base (mine does have the sub). Her car sounds tinny and flat, with subpar bass, when coming from the Legacy. Now, I don't think it's quite as good as Harmon Karden that was in my 2000 Saab 9-5, but probably only in loudness - I think clarity was similar. I love the 6 disc in dash. Very nice. I do wish they would have made the MP3 player unit standard on the GT Limited, at least. I guess my only complaint is that it doesn't quite seem to get loud enough for me sometimes. Rob

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='DSattler']I have pretty good ears — home stereo has Kef speakers and a Canton subwoofer, Carver electronics — and the stock stereo with the factory subwoofer isn't bad. Actually, frequency response is pretty good, but imaging isn't that great. I thought the tweeters would help give a better sense of space, but no such luck in my car. I do love the 6 CD changer, though — I can keep a CD in at all times for the kids (I drive them a lot) and five for me. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the factory sub.[/quote] THANKS!! I'm with you. I feel like I have a fairly critical ear and the owner of the audio dealership I deal with certainly does as well. WE decided not to replace anything in the stock system except to add an amp and a sub (and i had thousands of dollars in equipment from my WRX that COULD have been installed). I'm very happy with the sound. He didn't even suggest installing the tweeters I bought from him and had in my WRX...and I didn't feel the need to either...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Th3Franz']You can never expect much from paper. :lol:[/QUOTE] Paper is not the problem. Older sets of MBQuarts were treated - paper cones. There are some great reasons for paper (non-resonant, lightweight), but none of them overcome their inability to deal with a harsh 12V environment (mainly moisture). If you are concerned about sound quality, you can expect alot from paper. Just don't expect them to last very long in your car. FYI - Velodyne uses paper cones for their $2500 home subwoofers (well, pressed pulp which is almost the same, but thicker). At that price they would use whatever sounded best, not what cost the least (which is why we get paper speakers on OEM stereos).

Archived