LegacyGT.com

how is the stereo in th GT?

shanker

You can add me to the list that thinks that the stock stereo is at least adequate. Since I don't have the factory sub, the bass response is obviously weak, but I find the system to have reasonable tonal balance, but the imaging is side biased. Of course, I'm not one to leave well enough alone, so I have an Xtant 3 channel amp and an Image Dynamics IDQ12 waiting to go in. I'm debating between a set of a/d/s or CDT comps for my front stage. Nice thing about the Xtant is that the input stage can handle speaker level, so I don't have to mess with a LOC.

i don't think the stock stereo is too bad at all. doesn't rattle the doors NEARLY as bad as my WRX did, i just threw a 12" in the trunk, and i'm very happy with the sound. i do get a little nervous when i have the volume above 13 though. hey, there's a question for ya: what's the loudest you've turned your stereo, number-wise? different kinds of music of course will differ. i've gone as loud as 14 with some Andre Nickatina (SF rapper), lots of bass.

I guess I have an answer and a question at the same time. In my 2000 2.5RS I had a full Premiere system plus a "frankensteined" twin 12 box with fosgate he2's. (Way too much for that car, but the box was bought on charity from a single mom selling off parts from her baby's idiot daddies wrecked civic). This sounded quite nice. The wife drives an 04 wrx wagon with the factory 6disc and sub and it sounds acceptable. My '05 gt with the factory sub (bought this car used, wouldnt have ordered with one) sounds better. That may be attributed to the fact that the factory sub is mounted under the driver seat due to the airbag sensor suite underneath the pass (standard spot for the wrx, assuming my wife's is standard). Now the question: Im considering adding a free-air to the back deck to fill out the sound a little more without using up too much trunk space (the stock unit doesnt perform that well below 80hz as expected). My question is would I be able to piggyback off the signal that goes to the factory sub with any amp or are there particular variants to handle the low level inputs and high demand of a free-air. Any feedback would be much appreciated. ~Chris
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

[quote name='Boostjunkie']You can add me to the list that thinks that the stock stereo is at least adequate. Since I don't have the factory sub, the bass response is obviously weak, but I find the system to have reasonable tonal balance, but the imaging is side biased. Of course, I'm not one to leave well enough alone, so I have an Xtant 3 channel amp and an Image Dynamics IDQ12 waiting to go in. I'm debating between a set of a/d/s or CDT comps for my front stage. Nice thing about the Xtant is that the input stage can handle speaker level, so I don't have to mess with a LOC.[/QUOTE] How old and what model is your XTant?

[quote name='CDubbs'] Now the question: Im considering adding a free-air to the back deck to fill out the sound a little more without using up too much trunk space (the stock unit doesnt perform that well below 80hz as expected). My question is would I be able to piggyback off the signal that goes to the factory sub with any amp or are there particular variants to handle the low level inputs and high demand of a free-air. Any feedback would be much appreciated. ~Chris[/QUOTE] The factory sub runs on a speaker level input. At least the WRX did. The LGT is the same sub but with a different wire harness to accomodate the different in-dash unit. As for your specific question....I am a little confused. Speaker level inputs are 'high-level' while RCA inputs are 'low-level'. Most free-air woofers are efficient and don't handle a ton of power. You should find a quality sub amp - most have both hi and low inputs for adding a sub to any system. Most will also have a built-in crossover to 'blend' the sub into the system, and possibly a phase control (fancy way off saying reversing + and - on the woofer). Here are some quality sub amps: [url]http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/e1200.html[/url] Basic Sub amplifier [url]http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/2501.html[/url] Step up in power and turns on when the speaker inputs are energized (perfect for a factory system as you won't have to run a turn-on lead to the fuse panel) [url]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-APnFek6PEXG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=130&I=500MRDM301[/url] Basic Alpine sub amp There are a bunch of good ones out there....just stay away from the bargain brands (Coustic, Profile, etc) as they don't really deliver the power they claim (creative interpretation of test results)

I have had a few Subaru's and I can honestly say for a stock system this is by far the best Subaru has done. No it's not a great system but it is more than adequate. I had a WRX (2003) with the speaker upgrade w/sub. That system is no where near as nice as this one.

[quote name='patagonianwrx']The factory sub runs on a speaker level input. At least the WRX did. The LGT is the same sub but with a different wire harness to accomodate the different in-dash unit.[/QUOTE] Actually, it's even the same harness, at least as far as the connectors go (may have a different wire length). The sub harness tees into the standard Subaru radio harness going into the back of the radio. So outside of wire length, the whole setup is versatile and woud likely work in all recent-year Subarus. Craig

That's good to know. I have one sitting in my garage from the WRX. I checked the part numbers on subaruparts.com and they were similar, but different. Maybe we can chalk that up to mounting under the driver's seat and a different bracket? BTW - Where in Tidewater are you? I grew up near the back side of Trashmore and my girlfriend's parents still live at Lake Placid out by Oceana

I'm in Williamsburg. Yeah, I think only the bracket differs. You could make your own bracket (or perhaps tie/velcro the sub to the carpet). I actually had one I took out of my WRX, and sold it (for $130) because it did not appear to fit under the seat of my new OB XT. Then I ordered a new one with the correct part number (for $170) and damned if it wasn't the same exact unit. It is a real tight fit under the seats in the new 05 Leg/OB. Craig

[quote name='patagonianwrx']As for your specific question....I am a little confused. Speaker level inputs are 'high-level' while RCA inputs are 'low-level'. [url]http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/2501.html[/url] Step up in power and turns on when the speaker inputs are energized (perfect for a factory system as you won't have to run a turn-on lead to the fuse panel) [/QUOTE] As for the confusion, thats to be expected. Im over in the mid-east atm and my mind is hazy from the wierd schedule. I will most likely order the 2501 when I get back. Thanks much for your input. ~Chris
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Archived