LegacyGT.com

Legacy STI ???

The B4

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul offered some insight over at NASIOC's news and rumors forums:

Well, turbocharged diesel is possible.

But my wager is on it being a testing mule for the next WRX.

Two reasons, the first being the hood scoop - the current hood scoop on the Legacy works quite well within the aerodynamics of the cars front. Putting that large of a hoodscoop on a Legacy would not improve cooling efficiency, and it would almost certainly hurt aerodynamics. Which would hurt the gas mileage.

The second being the lack of a visible exhaust - giveaway that it's a shorter design than that car, which it would be if it was a next generation wrx exhaust system.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

www.avoturboworld.com | www.sevenphotos.com

-ben

I dont think its a Hybrid b/c they have to develop there own system (yea i know the concept car had one) but they were going to just drop in a Toyota set up and then realized it wouldnt work with the F4/AWD layout.

Thats interesting. I still exactly understand how the AWD works in an RX400h.

I thought TPH was dead for now.

I'm going with the idea they're testing a cooling package for a new turbo engine, whether it be a turbo-diesel, or an H6. The additional weight is needed to represent a car at GVW for full cooling test/engine load conditions. That's my take on it.

Whatever it is, it'll be interesting to see if something different/new comes out for MY08.

Can anyone speculate what that metal piece in the hood scoop is? Part of the intercooler, strut brace?? If you look closely at the picutre of the hood scoop, it looks like they pretty much tapped on the bigger hood scoop. DUCT TAPE RULES!!!

legacy-mule-3_P.JPG.b0558c47735454429f048e9c02f95e6b.JPG

I think the gaggle is where the real test car is and the goofy leggy is just there as a distraction (which has clearly worked) :lol:

:whore: I think he may just be right. SOA's known to be practical jokers (beer can in a bumper type folks:p) and this could be the next one. I bet they're all sitting around one big screen at SOA's R&D area laughing their arses off at us. :iam: You never know with these guys... no really... you NEVER know what they'll do. :(

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

So, the turboed 6-cylinder doesnt make any more horsepower?

Ya...

First question: What turboed 6-cylinder?

Second question: ...any more horsepower than what?

If you know of any turboed 6-cylinders other than the prototype in the B11S or Jeff Perrins turbo H6 shoe-horned into his STI, spill the beans.

First question: What turboed 6-cylinder?

Second question: ...any more horsepower than what?

If you know of any turboed 6-cylinders other than the prototype in the B11S or Jeff Perrins turbo H6 shoe-horned into his STI, spill the beans.

That comment was only a response to this post:

In Automobile, they said the new Legacy has a 2.5 L making 243 (adjusted) and a 3.0 (it said turboed) making 250.

The only thing I've "heard" anything about in terms of new motors coming soon is the 3.6 H6 for the 08 Tribecca...

The only thing I've "heard" anything about in terms of new motors coming soon is the 3.6 H6 for the 08 Tribecca...

Regarding that 3.6L H6, I posted some comments over on Nabisco related to it.

I don't see the 3.6L as being very likely, as it wouldn't use parts from any engine they have right now. Subaru already removed the 2.0 from the WRX and made it a 2.5 to bring it in line with all their other vehicles in the American market, so, from a standardization standpoint, there's no justification for a 3.6, especially if the rumor states that it's only for the Tribeca. It's highly unlikely that they would have a 3.0 in the Outback and a 3.6 in the Tribeca - tooling and production costs couldn't be spread out over enough vehicles to make it cost-effective.

A more likely scenario would be to offer the 3.6L in the Tribeca, Outback, and possibly the Legacy, but we're still talking about a whole new engine, using no existing parts.

What I see as much more likely is to turbocharge the existing 3.0 H6 for the Tribeca. We've heard rumors to that effect, and heard rumors of it not coming here because of emissions problems, but, if the emissions comments are based in fact, that says they really are working on a turbo 3.0. Emissions hurdles can be overcome. If they're still working on the turbo 3.0, that makes it even more unlikely they're working on a 3.6.

If they could amortize their development costs over a much larger sales base, I could see them developing both engines, but not at their current sales levels.

Turbocharging the 3.0 makes sense because they can use the same pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft (and more) from existing motors. They still sell the 2.0 (NA and turbo) in other countries - just take those 2.0 turbo parts and put them in the 3.0 - voila, a turbo H6! Yes, I know it's not as simple as that, but at least there are production parts to work with - for a 3.6, it would have to all-new.

My bets are on seeing a turbo 3.0 for at least the Tribeca, and hopefully for the Outback and Legacy. I think the 3.6 rumor was just a distraction to take our attention away from the 3.0 development.

Archived