LegacyGT.com

Must i use 91 octane?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very.

Actually the requirement is minimum 91 octane.

However a little tid bit. If you have 1/2 tank of octane 93 you can purchase 89 octane and it essentially yields 91 octane. Of course this depends on how hard you hit those bumps to mix it all around etc.

The higher the better. Stick to 91 Octane and Above!!

Who's the chick in your av?

Back to the topic... SOJ's site says the JDM Legacy turbo requires unleaded premium, but unleaded regular works too:

無鉛プレミアムガソリンが入手できない時は無鉛レギュラーガソリンを使うこともできますが、エンジン性能は低下します。

Google-translated:

"When procuring unleaded premium gasoline, it can also use unleaded regular gasoline, but engine efficiency decreases. "

I wonder if prolonged use of lower octane really damages the EJ25 on the US Legacy GT...

This Space For Rent

I really wish our Sunoco stations would carry 94oct.....:(

About the question though, why buy a performance sedan & then want to put reg unleaded in? You could have purchased the 2.5i & solved the problem.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

why buy a performance sedan & then want to put reg unleaded in? You could have purchased the 2.5i & solved the problem.

I heard that JDM cars like Lancer EVO, WRX STi, Spec.B, etc require unleaded RON 100 which is only available in Japan, but those same cars are also sold in other places unmodified..

This Space For Rent

I really wish our Sunoco stations would carry 94oct.....:(

About the question though, why buy a performance sedan & then want to put reg unleaded in? You could have purchased the 2.5i & solved the problem.

we got 94 at ours.

after a trip to the dealer, the service manager told me they got a bull. to tell customers to try different octane levels...he told me to try 89, then 87. i told him the 2-3 dollar difference isnt worth the performance difference i may see.

after all, i paid for 250 horses, i wanna use them all:icon_bigg

I still can't believe the confusion regarding "octane ratings". That's right, "ratings". What is really being described by those numbers on the pump are an "anti knock index." In areas where higher "octane" fuel is available, it is often ethanol that kicks up the "octane" rating. This doesn't mean that there is any increase in fuel energy. It only means that compressability has been increased so that the chances of premature is detonation decreased. Ethanol has a higher "octane" rating than straight gasoline but actually contains less BTUs (or energy). "Anti knock index" is the more accurate description of the pump numbers.

I think we need a nOOb forum where people can come and ask these types of questions. Along with:

Why is my car ILL.3?

What Uppipe should I get?

Help!!1111 my lights wont turn off

Should I wrap that Uppipe?

Along with many other such threads :lol:

Easy add a sticky called Noob/FAQ and answer all the q's or link to good answers.

To answer the question, you CAN use 87 octane if you want, but the ECU will pull timing and you will not be getting the maximum performance out of the motor. The car will not blow up, but it won't be as fast.

This is for a stock car, if it is modified then it might (and probably does) have a higher minimum octane rrequirements.

If you want to run lower octane then go for it.

I have a 2006 spec.B.... must I use 91 octane? some gas stations only have like 86, 89, 93.. can i get by with 89? How important is this? Thanks.

if your in CA like i am your up shit creek anyway since 91 here is 89 everwhere else. when its cold, you can get away with a lower octane, but not if you want to go over 4k rpm and i still wouldnt reccomend it.

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

To answer the question, you CAN use 87 octane if you want, but the ECU will pull timing and you will not be getting the maximum performance out of the motor. The car will not blow up, but it won't be as fast.

This is for a stock car, if it is modified then it might (and probably does) have a higher minimum octane rrequirements.

If you want to run lower octane then go for it.

The ECU will retard timing if the knock sensors are detecting knock but the damage will have already have been done. Knock like overheating must be avoided at all costs. If you are forced to run regular, then you want to avoid any heavy engine load situations but even that parameter can be exceeded. For instance, if you are using a winter blend fuel which has less "octane" enhancers than summer blend on a warm day you very well might start knocking. This is a situation one might run across in spring/summer change over period.

Use premium. You get used to looking at only the bottom price on the station billboards. And besides, the price spread between regular and high grade has never been narrower thanks to the high price of gas now.

Archived