LegacyGT.com

Aeroquip as alternative to Fumoto

I am not saying its not convienent, I am just saying that I have no problems unwrenching the drain plug, and have all the oil spill into the pan. No real fuss at least nothing some paper towels can't solve.

Edit: Are you saying you removed the plastic undertray...the thingy that protects from scrapes and stuff and where the oil filter door is? In which case I have to agree, it is crap.

Yeah, that whole big piece...about 3 feet by 2 feet by 1 foot (not just the oil filter "door". Sooooo much easier to work on stuff and now I can see right away when the engine starts leaking fluids.

It is still ugly.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, that whole big piece...about 3 feet by 2 feet by 1 foot (not just the oil filter "door". Sooooo much easier to work on stuff and now I can see right away when the engine starts leaking fluids.

No problems with dirt and crap getting on everything down there and causing a mess? That is really the main reason it is still on, because, like you said, much easier to work under there with it off.

No problems with dirt and crap getting on everything down there and causing a mess? That is really the main reason it is still on, because, like you said, much easier to work under there with it off.

Do I look like OC? :lol: Cars didn't have this POS for decades and they survived. I think the main reason for this thing to exist is to discourage owners from dicking around with their car and take it to the dealer.

It is still ugly.

Do I look like OC? :lol: Cars didn't have this POS for decades and they survived. I think the main reason for this thing to exist is to discourage owners from dicking around with their car and take it to the dealer.

I think it's mostly to hide leaks and keep garage floors clean. Whatever, it's totally unnecessary, as illustrated by the fact that the 2006 NA cars like mine don't even come with them.

^^^ Or go the ghettofabulous route and put it up on a curb like I do!:icon_bigg It's also easier to get the filter off then.

While the underbody piece does provide some protection I think it's mostly for streamlining the airflow.

Seriously if you're changing your oil yourself get this or a fumoto (w/nipple). If you're not changing it yourself, get a fumoto so the tech doesn't strip the pan, round the bolt, and forget to use a crush washer!

My fumoto also installed at a weird angle, but not bad enough to cause oil to spray. I picked the fumoto because I didn't have to worry about losing the attachment like with the FRAM sure-drain. Also like the locking mechanism and that the ball valve seem more reliable mechanically than a stem valve. The ball valve also seem to have a larger diameter opening than the stem valves for a quicker drain.

One thing I learned recently from a HVAC tech is that rubber o-rings can degrade and cause leaks from heat cycling. I remember the fumoto valve had a white seal around the ball which might be silicon.

The stem valve might work just as well, but I don't plan to find out unless the fumoto breaks.

• 3 weeks later...

So I went out and got the Aeroquip valve, I really like it but while installing it I noticed that my car 2006 LGT Auto does not have the baffle inside the iolpan like the one pictured below from the first page in the thread. Apperantly this was changed after 2005?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23448&d=1156467182

Just installed my Aeroquip. I also ran a quart right through the engine to make sure that it was working properly. It works great, but I think I'm going to end up taking a notch out of that plastic cover to make room for the connector, which is a PITA to get up there. I just don't have the balls to remove that plastic thingy completely :lol:
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Just installed my Aeroquip. I also ran a quart right through the engine to make sure that it was working properly. It works great, but I think I'm going to end up taking a notch out of that plastic cover to make room for the connector, which is a PITA to get up there. I just don't have the balls to remove that plastic thingy completely :lol:

Get some balls...I'm currently "commando" and lovin' every minute of it.

It is still ugly.

So I went out and got the Aeroquip valve, I really like it but while installing it I noticed that my car 2006 LGT Auto does not have the baffle inside the iolpan like the one pictured below from the first page in the thread. Apperantly this was changed after 2005?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23448&d=1156467182

Yeah, I don't know what the eff it is and it's in MY oil pan. I think it is part of the reason my oil sprayed when it came out of the pan in addition to hitting that POS undertray.

It is still ugly.

So...ah, this is the first time that I've seriously dicked around with a car before, so my ignorance is going to really shine here. Cars normally have the oil filter exposed to the road? I mean I don't know one way from the other, but the 2.5i's have the same configuration as us GT's?

This is the first car I have ever had with an undertray. I think the real reason is that it takes the mechanics longer to perform services because thay have to remove it and the flat rate manuals can have an inflated time rating so shops can charge more. I haven't given it a second thought after taking it off.
It is still ugly.

So...ah, this is the first time that I've seriously dicked around with a car before, so my ignorance is going to really shine here. Cars normally have the oil filter exposed to the road? I mean I don't know one way from the other, but the 2.5i's have the same configuration as us GT's?

My '06 2.5i has no undertray at all. 12K and it' still clean up there. My A6 had a massive undertray that was nothing more than a PITA so I'm glad the 2.5i came without one. You'd be fine removing it completely.

I read in another thread that it was there for aerodynamics. No need for the STI wing, I guess.

If it were for aerodynamics, I'm sure it would make little to no difference at any speed we drive here in the states. More likely it's main purpose is for catching leaking fluids and keeping them off the driveway or garage floor and tricking people into thinking their car has no leaks, and the aero thing is probably the marketing explanation. my .02

WOW! This thing is slick!?! Changed my oil earlier this week and it was very nice to be able to let the oil drain cleanly into the pan. I picked up 1 foot of hose at the parts store and I still have my plastic undertray on as well...I also perfected the "cup" trick when removing the filter, no mess at all!

I still don't understand this whole issue. I don't think I've had a single drop miss the pan or hit the undertray. It just comes out smoothly (at an angle, just have to have the pan in the right area). Maybe there are differences between cars?

What kind of cup? I'd really like to find one that will work. I get very messy with the filter.

I don't think I've had a single drop miss the pan or hit the undertray.

I brought my car to the dealer for it's first 2 oil changes and I was BSing with the service advisors and they were saying what a mess the Legacy makes and actually had me come back and watch as the lube tech ducked for cover when he pulled the drain plug...I had a similar experience when I changed my oil and installed the Aeroquip valve...just comes out ferociously and splatters all over the undertray.

What kind of cup? I'd really like to find one that will work. I get very messy with the filter.

I use a plastic Miller Lite bar cup from St. Patrick's day last year...I think it's a 16 oz cup and I just loosen the filter (not enough to start dripping) and then put the cup over the filter and squeeze the cup and unscrew the filter...you can feel the filter start to drip into the cup and just be careful when the filter drops that you are still gently squeezing the cup so that it doesn't splash hot oil on your arm.

I still don't understand this whole issue. I don't think I've had a single drop miss the pan or hit the undertray. It just comes out smoothly (at an angle, just have to have the pan in the right area). Maybe there are differences between cars?

I agree, I don't know why some other people's Legacys apparently make such a mess when mine is a straight shot drain that one of the cleanest and easiest out of all the cars I've ever worked on. Oh well. As far as the cup goes, I do use that and it's a great idea. I use one of those blue or red plastic party cups you buy in the grocery store. Put it over the filter after you break it loose and spin the filter off with it by grabbing it with the cup. The cup catches the mess that leaks as you remove the filter. FWIW, I actually use two cups (one inside the other) and double it up because I change my oil hot and I find just one cup melts too easily.

^^^:eek:

I change my oil hot too, but not that hot! I usually wait about 30-45 min before I change my oil because pretty much everything is too hot to touch if you just turned the car off. After that time, I can root around all I want because things are warm to the touch, but the oil is still very warm.

^^^:eek:

I change my oil hot too, but not that hot! <snip>

:lol: I'm 45, and my dad taught me a lot when I was a young kid. He was a general supervisor at the GM plant in Baltimore from right after WWII until he retired some 40 years later. I try and keep up on latest knowledge and stuff, but admittedly a lot of my habits are "old school", and I still practice some of the things he taught me growing up back in the late '60s and '70s. He died shortly after he retired so I guess I see myself as the only means to pass on his knowledge by continuing some of his practices and teaching them to my son (if I still agree with them). Damn, that felt therapeutic.....

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to figure out if the Fumoto or the Aeroquip will be easier to install and use. I've got a 2005 5MT LGT. I read that the Fumoto will be hard to tighten and getting the handle angled down is tough. Does anyone have experience with both on the '05 MT?

Thanks,

Brian

PS: I'm looking at the Fumoto w/ nipple.

Archived