LegacyGT.com

Aeroquip as alternative to Fumoto

The Fumoto is an either-or kind of thing. Some people report that some cross-member interferes with fitment. The Aeroquip (for me) was easy to install. For ease of use, it is a toss-up. The Aeroquip has an extra piece to possibly lose and the Fumoto doesn't. It seems to be more of a personal preference thing.
The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the idea of putting a drain valve on. Just makes things so much cleaner and easier. I will likely go with the Aeroquip one but the link earlier in this thread (and other threads) goes to a mian page of a vendor but not the actual product. Does anyone know other vendors for the Aeroquip Quick Drain? I'd like to have more than one choice of vendor for price or proximity. Also, I am planning ot put it on my other cars so it would be good if I could look up the correct part and order it all at the same time.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The Fumoto will leave just as much oil in the pan as the Aeroquip...

I have the Fumoto, and have for about 2.5 years. If I had know about the Aeroquip at the time, I would have installed it. I like the fact that you have to have a second piece on there for oil to flow. With the fumoto, if something hits it just right, you are screwed. Moreover, the Aeroquip is lower profile so it is less likely to get broken off randomly...

The 2nd piece clips on to the aeroquip to actually open the valve.

:spin:

The Fumoto will leave just as much oil in the pan as the Aeroquip...

Fumoto literature claims it leaves no more residual oil than

pulling the drain plug.

Another thing that crossed my mind - maybe I'm just being silly,

I'll admit - when you pull the drain plug, the oil comes out with a

LOT of gusto, because you suddenly have created a 20mm diameter

opening. With the Aeroquip/Fumoto options, there is a much slower

flow, I'm assuming, and I wonder if this doesn't get the sludge out

of the bottom of the oil pan as well. Just thinking out loud ...

• 6 months later...

i'm going to revive this thread...

i've been reading up on these two products. imo i feel that the aeroquip is a safer route. the extra piece that covers the male end of the drain valve makes me feel more peace of mind. i plan to have the aeroquip ordered and have a writeup on it.

Fumoto literature claims it leaves no more residual oil than

pulling the drain plug.

Another thing that crossed my mind - maybe I'm just being silly,

I'll admit - when you pull the drain plug, the oil comes out with a

LOT of gusto, because you suddenly have created a 20mm diameter

opening. With the Aeroquip/Fumoto options, there is a much slower

flow, I'm assuming, and I wonder if this doesn't get the sludge out

of the bottom of the oil pan as well. Just thinking out loud ...

consider the size of the hole when you take the drain plug out vs the hole in the fumoto. also, there isnt air trying to suck back into the oil pan with the fumoto.

example: fill up a jug of water. flip it upside down and watch it GUSH out. now fll up jug of water, and put on a water spigot (straw). flip it over and the water still drains... just in a spout like motion

consider the size of the hole when you take the drain plug out vs the hole in the fumoto.

Well, the hole with the fumoto has GOTTA be smaller, right, but you're

saying not that much smaller ?

also, there isnt air trying to suck back into the oil pan with the fumoto.

I always remove the oil-filler cap, so there's never air trying to suck back in.

• 4 months later...
Anyone find a good *current* source of these? It might be worth a shot!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I found a site that sells both parts to the Aeroquip kit.

http://www.aeroquip.cc has it all. It totaled $57.90 shipped for me.

My plan was to use two OE crush washers so that the top of the threads on the Aeroquip valve are flush with the inside of the oil pan. That should minimize the residual oil left in the pan, at least equaling the Fumoto.

Since I only have 365 miles on the car, I'm in no rush to get it installed. I'll do my first oil change at 1,000 miles though and post my thoughts.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just ordered mine. I'll probably hit 1000 miles sometime next week, so I'll post then about it.

The second time I went to use my Aeroquip, I couldn't find the effin thing (not the part attached to the car). After the first time I used it, I blew some carb cleaner through the tube so it wouldn't drip oil all over my work bench. I vaguely remember sitting it on the trash can to drain. That was the last time I remembered seeing it. Glad they sell the pieces separately because I had to buy another female piece. Eff me. Learn from my mistake.
It is still ugly.

I got mine also. Waiting for my first oil change that I'll be doing in a couple months. The quick connects are pretty stiff. I hope they won't be a problem when I'm trying to connect them together for an oil change. I'll continue to keep this thread updated for those who want to know how well this works.

The second time I went to use my Aeroquip, I couldn't find the effin thing (not the part attached to the car). After the first time I used it, I blew some carb cleaner through the tube so it wouldn't drip oil all over my work bench. I vaguely remember sitting it on the trash can to drain. That was the last time I remembered seeing it. Glad they sell the pieces separately because I had to buy another female piece. Eff me. Learn from my mistake.

That is a reservation I had. The whole two-part thing means I've gotta pay $25 if I lose the adapter piece.

I'm planning on getting the aeroquip now over the fumoto - I like the fact that I won't have any alignment issues as well as the fact that it's got a cap.

I'll think about leaving the adapter piece with my stash of oil filters so I don't lose it.

I'm planning on getting the aeroquip now over the fumoto - I like the fact that I won't have any alignment issues as well as the fact that it's got a cap.

I'll think about leaving the adapter piece with my stash of oil filters so I don't lose it.

Yea, and let me know if you order one for the NCSC guys, I'm always in!!

As far as looking at the OP pics, the drain plug seems to be located at a weird place compared to my 2.5RS, since the Impreza the drain plug is mostly on the bottom, and the drain plug on the LGT is on the side.

Does anyone see a problem with having some old oil inside the pan not draining out?? Since either the Fumoto or the Aeroquip seems to be the same design as far as draining the oil!

What does other think?

JP

Apparently one of the parts is backordered for greater than 30 days. I'll stick to regular oil changes until they come back in stock.

Does anyone see a problem with having some old oil inside the pan not draining out??

Probably not a real problem, practically speaking. But be aware that since dirt and grime particulates have weight and settle, the oil left in the bottom of the pan will be the dirtiest.

Archived