LegacyGT.com

Auto vs. Manual

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said 'worlds better' than my old car's transmission, not worlds best :p I know it's far from the world's best .. I'd say either BMW/Merc's SMG or Audi/VW/etc's DSG boxes take that honor. I'd love to have tried out the DSG in the new GTI, but I couldn't get over the gaudy exterior styling of them.

Here's to hoping in the near future that all autos will be electrohydraulic 'clutchless' manuals.

Ah, gotcha. That's what i get for misreading it :lol:

I'd totally agree with you about DSG. As much as I love manuals, I'd take a DSG box over it in a heartbeat. If we could get that worked into the mainstream... or even better, a CVT that can handle gobs of power, the auto vs manual argument is dead.

I grew up in the Mountains, and always prefered a manual for better control, more power and being able to take advantage of engine braking on downhill slopes.

I have had one auto car in my lifetime and I lived in Flatland (Michigan) at the time. It was OK, but I really missed the manual. So, manual transmission is a requirement for all subsequent cars now. Traffic can be a pain, but fortunately I don't have a long commute.

Auto. Cuz I'm not getting any younger... and sick of driving the clutch pedal with my dress shoes (& tired of changing to sneakers every time I jump into teh car). It was a very hard choice for me (I previously had 5spd Impreza RS coupe). The sport shift ain't no SMG but is pretty good.

I wouldn't mind a second Legacy/Subaru with 5speed next.

Auto works well for me because of the traffic situation.....hopefully I will like it better after stage 2 is set tommorow.......Wohoo

I don't get it. Manual transmissions are more efficient. The time from O'Hare to the Loop on 90/94 was 45 minutes today. The distance is about 17 miles I believe but the congestion does usually lighten up after the junction. My mpg went up in the stop and go traffic. You can "power coast" the lil' turbo boxer pulling very low rpms in high gears. The NAV/Info system gives you graphic displays of throttle position and instananeous mpg. 20 mph in 3rd gear turns less the 2000 rpm and mpg that tops 30 regularly. 40 mph in 5th? Yep. Well over 30 mpg. However, there is a caveat and its a big one. You can't be chasing the bumper in front of you.

You have to look 5, 10 or 15 cars in front of you and watch their brake lights. If you see they are coming to a stop, there is no reason to waste liquid fun to hurry up and stop. Pace yourself so that, ideally, you don't have to touch the brake pedal at all. Actually since the price of gas has gone way up in the last year, I see the cabbies doing this all the time in their big Crown Vics. Not only will this technique save fuel, if enough people get hip to it, it will speed traffic because when there are 100s of cars in a line in rush hour reaction times of ~.5 second adds up quickly to many minutes when multiplied by dozens of momentum (gas, brake, stop, let distance open between the car in front (wasted time), gas, coast for a second to catch up with the car in front that has its brakes on and then brake again, stop, repeat, repeat, repeat) changes.

Even being familiar with the terrain can be helpful in reducing shifts and increasing mpg. If you are on a down slope, exploit it. If you are going uphill, be aware of it.

I'm loving my MT. You really get to know the engine. I love the avatar of the guy that shows a photo of a little boxer puppy dog ready for action. My wife loves it too. It's almost as good as "Earthworm's" Corgy.

5EAT or nothing..............she said.

I taught my wife to drive the MT5 in about 10 minutes. With the car off, I had her try the clutch, gas and brake and then row the gears. Then I had her start the car (in a praking lot), find the gears with the clutch in, find first and get the car rolling without touching the gas. Then I got her to step on the gas, release it, depress the clutch and step on the brake. We tried this a couple of times and then I had her use the gas when starting. No problem at all!!!!!!!! Then we went up through the gears to 4th on an empty road and I told that I would tell to stop at any moment. She was a champ. Nothing fancy but she gets it. She said the test would for her would be in real world situations but for me to know that she can drive the car is a comforting relief. She is an avid biker, so I think that helps her in understanding the gears. After getting the car going without the gas, she really clued into the power application. I was very impressed. It took me much longer years ago but then I was delivering pizzas in the company Nova that had a 3 on the tree and I taught myself. The owner said, "You know how to drive a standard?" and I said, "Sure." I must have stalled it 20 times on my first delivery.:icon_mrgr

"Standard'? My my, how times have changed.

I taught my wife to drive the MT5 in about 10 minutes. With the car off, I had her try the clutch, gas and brake and then row the gears. Then I had her start the car (in a praking lot), find the gears with the clutch in, find first and get the car rolling without touching the gas. Then I got her to step on the gas, release it, depress the clutch and step on the brake. We tried this a couple of times and then I had her use the gas when starting. No problem at all!!!!!!!! Then we went up through the gears to 4th on an empty road and I told that I would tell to stop at any moment. She was a champ. Nothing fancy but she gets it. She said the test would for her would be in real world situations but for me to know that she can drive the car is a comforting relief. She is an avid biker, so I think that helps her in understanding the gears. After getting the car going without the gas, she really clued into the power application. I was very impressed. It took me much longer years ago but then I was delivering pizzas in the company Nova that had a 3 on the tree and I taught myself. The owner said, "You know how to drive a standard?" and I said, "Sure." I must have stalled it 20 times on my first delivery.:icon_mrgr

"Standard'? My my, how times have changed.

Oh no she knows how to drive a stick always has. She just a fraid if her new Camry brakes then the 02 f350 breaks she might have to drive mine, dont ask just pitty me. After 16 years I know what to challenge and what to not:lol:

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

auto... so when i get really drunk and someone has to drive me home in my car i dont have to worry.

what? its better than "im lazy" although i am... i still slap that stick around like a red headed step child. and sometimes, when im beating on it, ill slam my foot down on th dead pedal and try to go to 3rd and wind up in neutral pegging out the motor with the girlfriend screaming.

see, auto is more fun :)

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

auto... so when i get really drunk and someone has to drive me home in my car i dont have to worry.

what? its better than "im lazy" although i am... i still slap that stick around like a red headed step child. and sometimes, when im beating on it, ill slam my foot down on th dead pedal and try to go to 3rd and wind up in neutral pegging out the motor with the girlfriend screaming.

see, auto is more fun :)

The downside of that is "can I borrow your car?"

I said "and/or". So you're just lazy then. I drive in stop & go traffic, too and I enjoy it every time with manual.

I don't condemn you, but I wish it was LGT wagon auto that didn't sell well so we would still have the manual one available.

yeah, that's it. I'm lazy. You're gonna get a big STFU now b/c you deserve it

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

yeah, that's it. I'm lazy. You're gonna get a big STFU now b/c you deserve it

Hmmm. Let me see: automatic, doesn't like lane discipline laws and now STFU. That's a one nice person. You don't use turn signals, either, do you?

Hmmm. Let me see: automatic, doesn't like lane discipline laws and now STFU. That's a one nice person. You don't use turn signals, either, do you?

I'm done. Maybe I was a bit of a dick b/c I'm cranky but I'm not gonna argue with you.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I'm done. Maybe I was a bit of a dick b/c I'm cranky but I'm not gonna argue with you.

Pax, coxx, pax. No need to get angry on online stranger's teasing remarks...

The downside of that is "can I borrow your car?"

"No, because you cant drive stick."

I love that one. I gave up my flawless 96 because I hated the 4EAT. The manual is faster, saves me gas, and is what makes the car fun. Screw this business of stop and go traffic, I could care less.

Pax, coxx, pax. No need to get angry on online stranger's teasing remarks...

I agree. I'm normally a peaceful guy which I why I pointed out that I'm cranky. Since I'm cranky about other stuff I took your "lazy" comments as more of an insult than it was intended to be. No worries, I'm always willing to admit when I've gone too far & I'm always willing to extend the handshake & to forget about it.

I got an auto because I never learned how to drive a manual, or know anyone who would teach me. I also didn't want to learn on a new car and tear it up grinding gears! I do wish the sport shift was more responsive on the auto, which would make it more fun to use.

Archived