LegacyGT.com

Auto vs. Manual

<snip>

Only had the clutch stench once in 3500 miles and that from a 3500rpm slip launch in 1st gear.

IMHO if you're smelling the clutch, there is probably something wrong somewhere. Time for a poll?:icon_wink

I'm not worried about it. It always happens when I pick up my co-worker who lives in the middle of a VERY steep hill. High RPM's + sloppy left foot -> Holy Stink Batman, Who set the cat on fire?

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Auto

I never done learnt how to drive a stick and the wifey doesn't want to. Plus, the auto gets better gas mileage on the Legacy.

Thats the whole point of driving stick. Nobody can borrow your car. Its great!! and I don't know where you read that auto's get better MPG's then sticks. Can you upshift whenever you want? I think not.

Auto

I never done learnt how to drive a stick and the wifey doesn't want to. Plus, the auto gets better gas mileage on the Legacy.

So do yourself a favor, move your ass, and learn it. :rtfm:

This is one of few countries where you can actually get DL without being able to drive stick.

Thats the whole point of driving stick. Nobody can borrow your car. Its great!! and I don't know where you read that auto's get better MPG's then sticks. Can you upshift whenever you want? I think not.

On most cars a manual beats an auto for gas mileage but the auto IS rated for better gas mileage on the Legacy 2.5i :

Manual: 22/29 mpg

Automatic: 23/30 mpg

I imagine it has to do with the difference in AWD systems. The manual is split 50/50 while the auto is split 90/10, less power going to the rear wheels so less driveline friction power loss. I also imagine it has to do with taller gearing on the auto transmission. It seems like most car manufactures put shorter gears on their manuals because they assume drivers want it to be "sportier."

Also, I CAN upshift when I want to in manual mode.

Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to learn to drive a stick and no one has been willing to teach me with their car. :( I may just end up doing it at a driving school someday.

You have to look 5, 10 or 15 cars in front of you and watch their brake lights. If you see they are coming to a stop, there is no reason to waste liquid fun to hurry up and stop. Pace yourself so that, ideally, you don't have to touch the brake pedal at all. Actually since the price of gas has gone way up in the last year, I see the cabbies doing this all the time in their big Crown Vics. Not only will this technique save fuel, if enough people get hip to it, it will speed traffic because when there are 100s of cars in a line in rush hour reaction times of ~.5 second adds up quickly to many minutes when multiplied by dozens of momentum (gas, brake, stop, let distance open between the car in front (wasted time), gas, coast for a second to catch up with the car in front that has its brakes on and then brake again, stop, repeat, repeat, repeat) changes.

This would be awesome, except that 98% of america on the road today is incapable of looking at the car in front of them, let alone 10 or 20 ahead. It's sad a frustrating to drive around in a sea of inattentive morons.

Auto. I'm lazy. It's also more refined IMO, and the automatic AWD system is better for tooling around in the snow. The manual mode is good enough to use at the autocross or to merge onto the beltway.

Manual. So much more control and fun.

This is my first manual car. I wanted to learn stick with an old car but didn't have time to buy one as I found that there is no manual for 06 GT wagon. I had to act quick and I believe I've bought the last white 05 manual GT wagon on the west coast... with no regret!! :icon_bigg

Bought the LGT in auto because my impreza's manual was absolute garbage and test drove this car in a stick and it also felt like crap. Once you drive a 350z/G35 stick and then drive a Subaru stick you'll NEVER buy one ever again.

Auto in this car FTW even if it is a little bit slower. At least it goes into reverse easily! :lol:

Auto in this car FTW even if it is a little bit slower. At least it goes into reverse easily! :lol:

You mean the little crunch isn't the factory signal to let you know you're in reverse.:icon_conf

^^^^^^^^HATER !!!!!!! :icon_bigg

Had to get one for family needs (wife said new car=must be auto), and reside in one of the country's most congested areas (DC). But I'm with many of the posters who own a 5EAT - I'm fine with it, but would prefer a manual. But this car, especially when tuned properly, is still silly quick.

Archived