LegacyGT.com

Poll: Has Your Cooling Fan Malfunctioned On Your 05-06?

Vimy101

Have You Had a Malfunctioning Cooling Fan on your 05-06?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Had a Malfunctioning Cooling Fan on your 05-06?

• Yes
    • No
    • Serial # Exceeds Fan TSB Affected Vehicles

Polls are tricky to set up. At this point there have been 13 "views" but no responses. I suppose I should have had a fourth poll option titteld "N/A"

Anyhoo, I contacted my local Subaru dealer and the service advisor said that as of now SOA will not replace the part under warranty until the fan relay fails. That SAO has not issued a recall notice or "campaign" as the service advisor termed it makes me curious about the actual percentage of 05-06 MT GTs affected by a weak part that may go bad at any time seeing as how the repair cost ballons once the $15 part fails and takes the $800 ECM with it. The bean counters are aware of this problem and must have deemed the problem statisically insignificant. Is it?

A TSB was issued on Aug 2

The fan TSB is what motivated me to run the poll. I was wondering what the number crunchers deem a sufficient number of complaints that make a TSB warranted. OEMs' will resist issuing TSBs as long as possible because by sending one out they are legally acknowledging a problem. So far, ~30% of LGT owners in our sample have had problems.

It might be interesting to find out the mileages on the affected or yet to be affected vehicles are. I have ~8500 on mine and the cooling system is OEM nominal. We could take an average mileage (or age) of the failed units and perhaps predict a median failure point. You know the SOA beancounters have been doing this and a whole lot more.

I think this poll will be interesting....

I think it could be a pure random sample of affected and potentially affected vehicles.

The beancounters run derivitive type mathimatical equations of stats like these to predictict liability and I only know that thanks to my 6th grade education.:)

I'd suspect the ECU failure rate from this is very low, else they'd certainly do a recall given the price difference between the ECU & a relay - it's all about money to the manufactor for a non-safety issue like this.

Looks like ~30% is holding steady. Not an insignificant number as this poll is a pure random sample upon which "enthusiast site" has little bearing. However, there are scores of 05-06 LGT owners on this site who have not seen yet alone paticipated in this poll. Perhaps I'm only polling those who care about OEM design execution.

Just checked - no problem yet. Ordering new relay ASAP.

Seems like that would be the proactive step to take because if and/or when the relay fails and takes the ECM with it the car will end up at the dealer. That adds time and hassel that is easily worth the $20 price of the repair if it's a DIY.

My 05 with 20K on it is affected, the TSB came out the day before I took it to the dealer! I brought that in with the car. I haven't had a chance to check but they said that my VIN does not fall in the range listed on the TSB. They did verify that it is bad though and Subaru told them to fix it.

this poll is a pure random sample

Technically, no poll on this site is a "random" sample - not of members of this site and certainly not of owners nationwide. This would be described more accurately as a "convenience" sample. More importantly, poll responses are not "representative" of members or owners, most probably due to "response bias".

OK, enough statbabble :lol:

Our polls are informative but far from definitive :icon_wink

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

this poll is a pure random sample

Technically, no poll on this site is a "random" sample - not of members of this site and certainly not of owners nationwide. This would be described more accurately as a "convenience" sample. More importantly, poll responses are not "representative" of members or owners, most probably due to "response bias".

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

The poll is not scientific but the sample is of cars randomly purchased by members. On a car site, that's as random as it can get. However, the responses could be skewed more highly to those who have had the problem. Some owners who haven't had any problems might not be aware of this poll because they also are less likely to know that there is a TSB in the first place.

Still, the ~30% failure experience amongst LGT MT owners seems to be holding steady.

I am not sure about the cooling fan or heating fan but the fan i have makes a humming noise at 3 and 4 speeds. I had it looked at the dealer and he has ordered the part in.

Edited: Oho it seems the discussion is about the cooling fan in the engine. hmm interesting I have to check mine.

Happened twice on mine. Had the ECU replaced in February 06 (about 22k miles on the car). It just started doing it again yesterday (32k miles).

I swear... if this car wasn't so much fun to drive, it would be gone by now...

Archived