LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Limited to 2006 Mazdaspeed 6

Congrats on the new car!

I have not driven a Mazdaspeed 6, but my wife and I took a CX-7 out for a long test drive this past weekend and are strongly considering buying one soon. The 2.3 is a nice engine when compared to a stock LGT.

There is significantly more torque down in the rpm's compared to the LGT.

I was very impressed with it and the 6 speed auto.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats on the new car!

I have not driven a Mazdaspeed 6, but my wife and I took a CX-7 out for a long test drive this past weekend and are strongly considering buying one soon. The 2.3 is a nice engine when compared to a stock LGT.

There is significantly more torque down in the rpm's compared to the LGT.

I was very impressed with it and the 6 speed auto.

Thank you!!!! :lol:

HKS coilovers and AVO panel filter = 'heavily modified'?? :lol: Come on now...it was a nice ride, but I'd call it 'barely modified' compared to what others have done. ;)

I was going to give him a bunch of crap at our weekly meet on Friday for his "heavily modified" comment, too. :icon_bigg

Time to change the Avatar :D

And Having and Mazda 6, then LGT, then SpecB.....and having a friend/guy at the office with a 6speed....I've seen them all, driven them all.

6 speed is a really nice ride, specially at 26k "give or take". Every car it has it's strenghts and weaknesses......it comes down to the owners personality and what they like/dislike!

Enjoy it man......

Actually I don't agree at all with you about the interior fit and finish - the legacy is far nicer inside than the 6.

But, everyone is different, enjoy - the 6 is a good fwd-based car for sure.

Hey it was! Search around on the forum for the final list of specs b4 I got rid of her.

B4

for the lazy:

Full list of mods are..

HKS Hipermax LS Plus Coilovers

Front Alighnment -1.5 Negetive Camber

STI Short Shifter

Sylvania Silverstar Headlights

AVO Panel Filter with removed Intake Silencer

JDM OEM Legacy 20MM Rear Sway Bar

Front and Rear AVO Metal Endlinks.

No power-mods..because it already has all the power a good driver needs

I stand by my statement. Hardly modified (in today's market). You really need to come up Saturday for the drive. Hehe.

Funny you should mention it. I called the dealership today, and I set an appointment for a PCM re-flash for tommorow morning.

Mazda just issued a recall for the car last week. People should be getting a letter in the mail soon. But, if they want to take care of their "issues" early they can call their local Mazda dealer.

The re-flash is supposed to adress numerous turbo related issues, smooth out the acceleration and fix the supposed "twitchy clutch engangement" into first.

I will get a break down tommorow after the flash, I will get them to print out all the fixes. There was a grocery list of issues though.....oh well.

Tell your friend to check here, I am still reading up on the car myself.

Mazdaspeed 6

B4

Congrats on the new car. Not my cup of tea, but if your happy, then great.

I'd fear though that the reflash will in the end not solve the problem. It may come back just like the stutter on the GT. Good luck.

speed is a really nice ride, specially at 26k "give or take". Every car it has it's strenghts and weaknesses......it comes down to the owners personality and what they like/dislike!

+1. Well spoken, bruddah. :)

For what it's worth, I like the MazdaSpeed6, too. It's just different strokes for different folks.

Certainly, it's got its share of problems (which seem to be getting addressed by Mazda in a decently timely manner), but the LGT isn't fault-free, either.

I stand by my statement. Hardly modified (in today's market). You really need to come up Saturday for the drive. Hehe.

Agreed as well.

I am of the personal belief that in the current market, "Stage II+" LGTs, even with additional braking and suspension upgrades, can only be considered "mildly" modded.

No hard feelings, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I believe as many others here do, that that's honestly a "hardly"-modded LGT.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I just bought a new 2006 Spec B on Monday. During my test drive of the Mazdaspeed 6 last week, I noticed a few things, some good, some bad. Legacy has bad points also.

-The Mazdaspeed 6 is almost impossible to drive smoothly in traffic. No low rpm torque, so it stalls from a stop unless you give it a lot of gas and slip the clutch. Then the car revs too quickly and feels like you are flooring it even though you are not.

-At 5500 RPM all the fun is over. This is fine in a Diesel, not in a sporty car. (mazda Speed 6).

-The interior is nice, but sad. Having the radio low and the display high is silly. The grey wood or carbon fiber trim is No Bueno, Nicht Gut.

-The back seat has more leg and head room than the Legacy Sedan.

-The hood and front grill of the Mazda look silly. cheezy. The rear wing on my new Spec B does also. Cannot wait until I get the new decklid installed sans wing.

-The stereo sounded nicer on the Mazda. The Power windows were better in the Mazda (power up and down).

-The climate control in both cars is lacking compared to my BMW and the Saab that I test drove. it is 100 degrees here, so I cut some slack. Both Mazda and Subaru systems cannot hold a temp, although they are plenty strong if you just crank them up.

In Metro Detroit, they were practically giving the Mazdas away if you leased. Less than $400 per month with nothing down for 2 years. The Subaru leased poor but had 0% intererest for 2 years.

Sales/Cheese Ball Comment from Mazda Dealer:

Me: I do not want Black, have any Silver?

Dealer: No, limited production car.

Me: guess you can not sell me a car then, thank you!

Dealer: Let me see what I can do, oh, we have one at our other dealer accross town in Gray.

Me: OK

Dealer: Black looks nicer and with PAINT PROTECTION you will not have any scratches or swirls.

Me: Have a nice night.

I drove the MS6 a few months ago. It really wasn't bad, but I agree with R&T that it felt really heavy. Granted, I'm coming from a WRX, so that is significantly more tossable, but the MS6 also didn't seem to have the "oomph" for a 270+hp car. I'll have to see how they compare when I drive the spec.B. I don't like the clutch, though it is better than the damp sponge in the normal Mazda 6 (gah! I hate the normal mazda 6, worst car I've ever driven). And I could definitely feel the FWD bias of the car. The AWD system is not nearly as nice as Subaru's. However, it is overall a good car, and in a world without Subaru, I would probably seriously consider one - if they fixed the lame exhaust, horrible method of getting air to the intercooler, and the heavy feel of the car.

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Sales/Cheese Ball Comment from Mazda Dealer:

Me: I do not want Black, have any Silver?

Dealer: No, limited production car.

Me: guess you can not sell me a car then, thank you!

Dealer: Let me see what I can do, oh, we have one at our other dealer accross town in Gray.

Me: OK

Dealer: Black looks nicer and with PAINT PROTECTION you will not have any scratches or swirls.

Me: Have a nice night.

:lol::rolleyes:

My Best friend test drove the legacy gt and the mazda 6 speed... he ended up with the sped6 because he didn't like the "hood scoop." I think he is regretting it now. I am not sure about your cities, but go to any mazda dealership in utah and see how many speed 6's they have. TONS ON TONS. They don't seem to sell. I am pretty good at spotting them and I have only seen a handful (there are a billion non speed 6's though.)

A few weeks ago me and him took each other out in our cars for a spin. I felt mine was faster and looked better on the inside. It also had more "standard" features. For the same price he paid, I got a sunroof AND a trip computer. Yes, his version didn't come with a trip computer, lame. Also, for being a "speed" model, it sure lacked some things. IE Mp3 player and/or ipod. I understand the LGT doesn't have this, but our spec b has the mp3 player.

They are both great cars, but there is no way I would buy that speed6. It is pretty darn heavy, doesn't accelerate as well, and for pride reasons, the exhaust tips are just too much for me (or should I say, to little.) I know my buddy has regretted his purchase, and I would not be suprised if most speed6 people regret it... It would help the mazda owners if Cobb Tunning made parts for their car :)

A few weeks ago me and him took each other out in our cars for a spin. I felt mine was faster and looked better on the inside. It also had more "standard" features. For the same price he paid, I got a sunroof AND a trip computer. Yes, his version didn't come with a trip computer, lame. Also, for being a "speed" model, it sure lacked some things. IE Mp3 player and/or ipod. I understand the LGT doesn't have this, but our spec b has the mp3 player.

I actually thought Speed6 is better equipped but not better value. The Speed6 is standard with 6-spd, traction/stability control, HID, 4 auto up/down windows and it's possible to fold the backseats by taking out the trunk panel/bracing. Now it's not a better value because as far as I'm concern none of those features are deal breakers for me. I got the LGT for ~$2k less than what the Mazda dealer were willing to sell the base Speed6 Sport at.

there is a dealer here in cincinnati, oh that has 15 MSP6 sitting on their lot... all colors in both trims. i guess that they are not selling too well!!! :confused:

did not walk in to see how much, but might go for a test drive tomorrow - pretend like i want to trade my LGT wagon :icon_wink

I actually thought Speed6 is better equipped but not better value. The Speed6 is standard with 6-spd, traction/stability control, HID, 4 auto up/down windows and it's possible to fold the backseats by taking out the trunk panel/bracing. Now it's not a better value because as far as I'm concern none of those features are deal breakers for me. I got the LGT for ~$2k less than what the Mazda dealer were willing to sell the base Speed6 Sport at.

nothing against you, but you're just the one i saw who made the point i'm talking about.

I don't see everyones huge obessions over traction/stability control or things of the nature. I read car reviews, and they rag on cars for not having them? We've [well most of us] have lasted this long driving all by ourselves; some silly machine isn't going to stop stupid people from fufilling their darwin destanies. It just adds more complexity, and one more thing that can go wrong; and will no doubt cost my arm and several legs to fix. I want to drive my car, it's not supposed to drive me.

Yeah, very low volume car. They deffinitly miss-calculated demand for that vehical.

Oh, sorry for the lack of participation. I have been enjoying the re-flashed PCM in the MS6. Cleared up a lot of issues that realy didn't bother me in the beguinning. Smoothed out the power delivery, no more jumpy first gear, and the car is deffinatly much quicker.

Takeing it for a road trip tommorow, I plan to have more fun then. Great car, once again..Bravo Mazda.

B4

Sounds like Mazda has cleaned up some problems. It would be interesting to drive the car for a while. I still think it looks pretty cool even though certainly not perfect. I don't know whether the LGT or MS6 is better but the weight still scares me. The lighter the better. Also, with the undersquare configuration, it promises to have more low end torque than the oversquare LGT, but the 2.3 liter still seems small for 3,600 lbs. I actually haven't driven anything (except an M3) that feels more finely balanced than my '99 SVT Contour (alas with 120,000 miles though I am trying to keep it alive). With 200HP and 3,000 lbs, it's a wee underpowered but drives beautifully. Which gets back to your LGT to MS6 experience. While it seems the consensus is that your LGT wasn't "heavily" modified, it was more heavily modified than mine. I just put some BFG KDW2s on which already feel better. But it sounds like you didn't feel that the 20mm rear bar and the coil overs helped to improve the handling. I'm trying to figure next steps on how to make the handling feel more balanced. The car's strength seems to be on-throttle (the tail out in a controlled full drift was probably a big appeal to R&T) and steady state (I'm still trying to understand the best way to manage braking and turning with the car). The transitions are less friendly (I had a real tank slapper experience with my '05 lgt wagon on a unique little high speed chicane on our interstate 110 near downtown Los Angeles; my Contour takes it at 80 with no fuss whereas the LGT tried to throw me into the concrete). So what did you think of your "modest" mods? Did they help to balance the car? How did they feel relative to your experience of the MS6? I was actually thinking an 18mm bar (isn't 16mm standard) would keep the throttle oversteer while improving lift-throttle/brake rotation. Thanks, and enjoy the drive.

Sounds like Mazda has cleaned up some problems. It would be interesting to drive the car for a while. I still think it looks pretty cool even though certainly not perfect. I don't know whether the LGT or MS6 is better but the weight still scares me. The lighter the better. Also, with the undersquare configuration, it promises to have more low end torque than the oversquare LGT, but the 2.3 liter still seems small for 3,600 lbs. I actually haven't driven anything (except an M3) that feels more finely balanced than my '99 SVT Contour (alas with 120,000 miles though I am trying to keep it alive). With 200HP and 3,000 lbs, it's a wee underpowered but drives beautifully. Which gets back to your LGT to MS6 experience. While it seems the consensus is that your LGT wasn't "heavily" modified, it was more heavily modified than mine. I just put some BFG KDW2s on which already feel better. But it sounds like you didn't feel that the 20mm rear bar and the coil overs helped to improve the handling. I'm trying to figure next steps on how to make the handling feel more balanced. The car's strength seems to be on-throttle (the tail out in a controlled full drift was probably a big appeal to R&T) and steady state (I'm still trying to understand the best way to manage braking and turning with the car). The transitions are less friendly (I had a real tank slapper experience with my '05 lgt wagon on a unique little high speed chicane on our interstate 110 near downtown Los Angeles; my Contour takes it at 80 with no fuss whereas the LGT tried to throw me into the concrete). So what did you think of your "modest" mods? Did they help to balance the car? How did they feel relative to your experience of the MS6? I was actually thinking an 18mm bar (isn't 16mm standard) would keep the throttle oversteer while improving lift-throttle/brake rotation. Thanks, and enjoy the drive.

I think front and rear sway bars would help you alot. I have a '05 LGT LTD 5mt wagon and the car is very balanced since I added whiteline F&R sway bars and didn't change the ride. I'm putting on my H-tech springs on friday so I will see how that goes.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I don't see everyones huge obessions over traction/stability control or things of the nature.

Our Mini has TC, brake control and some other stability do-dads that I can't remember right now. It's the shiz. I was playing with it in the snow last year, it was slick as sh!t and you could throw the think into a corner at ridiculous speeds. I could feel all 4 corners losing and gaining traction as the car tried to compensate for what I was telling it to do. It wasn't a quick way to get through a corner because the TC would end up slowing the car -alot- to complete the manuver. The cool thing was that with as fast as I was hitting the corners and with the over-agressive steering inputs I was giving it I absolutly should have been in the ditch. The TC kept the car from sliding, and kept the car pointed in the direction I wanted to go.

I know I'll be seriously looking at a used 07 LGT with TC after they've been out for a couple years.

Even in Alaska teh heatsoak > mazdaspeed :lol:

Tell your friend to break off a piece of an iceberg and stick on teh intercooler! :lol:

Heat soak is definitely not a problem. Your one of the few people that seem to get this as many have been asking me why I don't go FMIC etc.

Other then a few days in the high 70s we are happily in the 60s mid 70s all Summer and it is nice and dry... no iceberg required. :lol:

The Mazda Speed issue seems to be a ECU vs. Octane issue. Whent the STI first came out there was a recall for a similiar issue (not as drastice as 33% loss of power). Many people didn't go for it as this fix (as I believe the Mazda will be) was a dumbing down of the computer. The folks I know just went Access Port, UTEC, etc to change the map and octane and GAIN power.

Not sure if Access Port, UTEC etc is/will be available for this car.

nothing against you, but you're just the one i saw who made the point i'm talking about.

I don't see everyones huge obessions over traction/stability control or things of the nature. I read car reviews, and they rag on cars for not having them? We've [well most of us] have lasted this long driving all by ourselves; some silly machine isn't going to stop stupid people from fufilling their darwin destanies. It just adds more complexity, and one more thing that can go wrong; and will no doubt cost my arm and several legs to fix. I want to drive my car, it's not supposed to drive me.

No offense taken. As I said in my post none of these items including the traction/stability control is a deal braker for me so I bought the LGT...

Anyway, I see tc/sc as an extension of safety feature such as seatbelts, airbags and ABS. Before they came along a lot of people have driven a very long time just fine without them. At the same time a lot of other people's life could have been saved too. There is no doubt that tc/sc works especially in adverse weather condition. As long as the system comes with a disable button, I don't have any problem with them.

Archived