LegacyGT.com

Volvo C30 Revealed!....

actually if subaru does what they say..this will be a competitor for the next gen WRX since its supposed to be a hatch, and if volvo puts awd in (wouldnt be surprised) it it would be a competitor in many respects, as for performance, well have to see.

^ It's ugly...

Rmember the 240dl, the p1800, the 780 bertone coupe, the 850 t5-R? Those were Volvo's... This new 'thing' is just an excuse to use an available platform from mazda or whatever.

Sorry, I'm a jaded ex-Volvo enthusiast...

Yup.

My dad had an old 240 back in the 80's. Great car. Black on black with some orange piping in the interior, IIRC.

How is it going to complete with an AWD car that has 4 or 5 doors? The C30 is a FWD two door non-limited slip hatch just like a VW GTI. I don't think this is going to sell well at all for Vulva.

I'm sure Volvo has some plans of using it's Haldex system in the new C30. Keep in mind this is sort of a "wagon spin off" of the S40 Sedan that has a resonalbly capable I-5. Granted the Volvo S40 hasn't proved much of a competitor to other AWD Sport Sedans (read: LGT, G35, 3 Series etc) but I'm sure it could hold it's own against the WRX and give it some competition.

I like it... have always been partial to hatchbacks and wagons.

It looks more like an A3 and Golf competitor for Europe. I would be extremely surprised if it made it over here. The US market can't really support too many hatches.

It would have to have something special like AWD and turbo to make it competitive against the WRX but then that would jack the price up to the point where the US hatchback market may not accept.

i like it as well. it is not a 'purist' volvo, but keep in mind, times change and cars, as well as, markets evolve. volvo went main stream to appeal to a wider audience, not just quirky environmentalists :icon_wink their sales improved and at least ford is not ass raping them as much as GM does Saab :icon_mad:

that said, i like volvo's direction under ford's watchful eye, and if this car has a nice turbo gas and/or diesel engine and AWD it may be a serious contender in this segment. just wait and see, Americans will come around and abandon SUV and large sedans in favor of more economical, and just as practical smaller, fun cars. /:soap_box:

Upon closer inspection, it looks like it's a spruced-up Mazda3.

Certainly this C30 will be borrowing many parts from the donor platform...

Or am I on glue again? Ford/Mazda/Volvo = all the same conglomerate now right?

Looks like a great car from Volvo, although those rear exhaust outlets look like a sad afterthought.

This car shows promise, but Volvo needs to realize that this segment is really starting to heat up in terms of offerings. At the bottom of the price range you have the Civic Si, Cooper S and VW GTi, Mazdaspeed 3 and towards the top you have the A3, and soon to be released R32. these are all VERY good cars, with one of them (the MS3 using the same platform as the C30). My point is that Volvo cant rest on its laurels- they need to come out with guns blazing. Offer AWD, offer 5-sp auto and 6-sp manual, offer 200- and 260-hp engines because this is no longer a sleepy car segment.

you are right.

Actually I think it is quite nice looking for a small hatch. Better than Civic or Golf/Rabbit, and three doors, rather than A3's (US market) 5-door.

A WORLD better looking than Ford's own Focus three-door.

The all glass rear hatch, and tapering glass house is somewhat reminiscent of the P1800ES in concept, even though the looks are different.

I think it sucks that they won't be putting a turbo AWD drivetrain in it for a C30-R. THAT might compete with a WRX 3-door (next gen) But it would still be haldex, and mostly FWD... At least haldex would help a bit in the winter over understeer-city FWD.

I'd buy one for the wife... and drive it myself rarely... but not for my car without the more "serious" hardware that Subaru offers.

Not bad, though. I think Volvo will sell a few of them... if FWD Audi TTs and Golf/Rabbits, and all sorts of other FWD runabouts are selling, then this will too, and it looks decent. It just won't sell to many enthusiasts like us without the turbocharger or AWD.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like it's a spruced-up Mazda3.

Certainly this C30 will be borrowing many parts from the donor platform...

Or am I on glue again? Ford/Mazda/Volvo = all the same conglomerate now right?

Correct, and the C30 and Mazda3 all use the latest generation Focus platform (C1), you know, the one Ford wont give us with a new Focus. :icon_conf

At the bottom of the price range you have the Civic Si, Cooper S and VW GTi, Mazdaspeed 3 .

Civic Si? Yep, I guess it could be a competitor to the C30. If only the boys at Honda decide to bring this stateside:icon_bigg ... they could have my ~ $ 23,000 check!

927673484_typeR.jpg.e62d76b5f8dc9b06651d85697ccecfc7.jpg

A WORLD better looking than Ford's own Focus three-door.

Tell me that you are kidding! Please! The new Focus (RS especially) is one bad ass looking mother! BTW, are YOU on glue? :icon_wink

ford_focus_st_2005-L.jpg.d7d9d0e2ce3bc732e41202217f2e20da.jpg

Tell me that you are kidding! Please! The new Focus (RS especially) is one bad ass looking mother! BTW, are YOU on glue? :icon_wink

Doesn't the focus still have a torsion bar rear while all the others mentioned have fully independent multilink suspensions?

THAT focus looks decent, and probably on par with the Volvo, being nearly the same car underneath.

The volvo is a nice design... it is clean and has a nice rake. Front is volvo-blah... but an -R version might help that

But THAT focus can't be purchased in the US. So it is kind of a moot point, huh?

The US available focus is not nearly as good looking as either of these, especially from the rear.

I like it... have always been partial to hatchbacks and wagons.

It looks more like an A3 and Golf competitor for Europe. I would be extremely surprised if it made it over here. The US market can't really support too many hatches. .

Look at Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, VW Rabbit, among others!!!!

heheheeh I think things are changing man with 3+ gas prices!!!!

I do like it though.. if they offer it with at least a turbo optional, and AWD, we may give it a look....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived