LegacyGT.com

USDM Tokico D-Spec Shocks and Swift Springs

legwag

OK, I just got off the phone with Tokico. Their "fitment test" was basically a bust, as they discovered what we have been telling them all along. The shocks don't fit properly.

The rep tried to tell me I could just swap in JDM tophats, and I explained to him (for the 3rd time) why that wouldn't work without swapping springs.

Basically their response is that they are going to do some research, and decide what they are going to do. NO ETA on a solution. They will refund on shocks that are returned, but you need to work through your vendor.

My opinion of this whole mess is that someone said "hey we sell Legacy shocks in Japan, let's just repackage them and sell them in the US". Nobody bothered to check and see if they would fit. I would assume these are not going to be available for much longer. I did explain to them they would work fine on a Spec B....

I don't know what I'm going to do at this point... but I can tell you I'm not pleased.

I think I'll start a new thread with this info, as this one is pretty ponderous.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Make up your mind does it fit or not?

Please provide MORE DETAILS on what is going on?

Dude, have you any idea how long it takes to test a product? Even if I could tell you more about the struts it takes time for things to settle, time to drive different terrain and conditions. If I were to say, "Oh, they fit" the next question would be how do they feel, I DONT KNOW. once again it takes time, there is only so much you can try and drive in a day. Remember every time they try a different set up it needs to be realigned and the same drive should be done and assessed. I only mentioned it so people wouldn't think "Nothing is being done." NO ONE wants this resolved more then I do. Trust me.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

OK, I just got off the phone with Tokico. Their "fitment test" was basically a bust, as they discovered what we have been telling them all along. The shocks don't fit properly.

The rep tried to tell me I could just swap in JDM tophats, and I explained to him (for the 3rd time) why that wouldn't work without swapping springs.

Basically their response is that they are going to do some research, and decide what they are going to do. NO ETA on a solution. They will refund on shocks that are returned, but you need to work through your vendor.

My opinion of this whole mess is that someone said "hey we sell Legacy shocks in Japan, let's just repackage them and sell them in the US". Nobody bothered to check and see if they would fit. I would assume these are not going to be available for much longer. I did explain to them they would work fine on a Spec B....

I don't know what I'm going to do at this point... but I can tell you I'm not pleased.

I think I'll start a new thread with this info, as this one is pretty ponderous.

WHo did you talk to?

MB, is it your car they were test fitting these on? The tech guy said it was a shop out of Temecula. He was quite surprised I knew about the test, and apparently they were not "modified" struts.

If so, did you keep them on the car "partially threaded" like the rest of us!

It wasn't my car but like the guy said it was one in Temecula. The info I heard was that they were different, so much for second hand news. I still think these struts are superior to others. So customer service isn't the best. They tried to give the public what they wanted. They are willing to refund, but I think it would suit you better just to go with the JDM tophats. The strut is sound and the price point is resonable.

I'm using the JDM tophats, it does give rise to the front end a bit, the solution is to simply use a second rear spring seat to offset the height difference front to back. Bonus is a less-slammed look anyway.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Boulderguy10/IMG_0174.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Boulderguy10/IMG_0176.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Boulderguy10/IMG_0178.jpg

Alright, let me get this straight. The Tokikos need the JDM tophats in the front, but those tophats don't work with the OEM springs on the LGT, right? But the JDM tophats will work with aftermarket springs that are shorter? The spring height is the key here, I presume?

But using the JDM tophats will add a bit of ride height back to my front end, thus giving me a bit more shock travel with my Swifts?

Finally, Boulderguy, you just double up the rear spring seats? And, again, this adds ride height and thus gives back a bit of lost shock travel with my Swifts?

The JDM tophats will work with the USDM springs, but they raise the ride height by around 5/8". My assumption is you're correct about the spring height.

I don't think the JDM tophats will add travel. They just affect the location of the strut/spring top relative to the car body.

For someone who doesn't have springs yet, it's not such a big deal, you just have to buy the appropriate springs and JDM tophats. If you already have springs, you'll have to change at least the fronts. iON, for example, wants $240 for just the fronts.

Got my megan racing coilovers on wednesday, its great. Sorry again paul for that little incident.

Anyways, if anyone wants a 2,999mile new tein s-tech springs, im selling them for 150 dollars obo, so if you live in so cal and are looking for springs, look no further. I only have one set, and I still got the original sticker and box that came with it. So, my name is Gary, pm me if you are in so cal and are interested. thx alot-

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/a70d06f6fc.jpg

Got my megan racing coilovers on wednesday, its great. Sorry again paul for that little incident.

Anyways, if anyone wants a 2,999mile new tein s-tech springs, im selling them for 150 dollars obo, so if you live in so cal and are looking for springs, look no further. I only have one set, and I still got the original sticker and box that came with it. So, my name is Gary, pm me if you are in so cal and are interested. thx alot-

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/a70d06f6fc.jpg

No worries Gary. Hope you like them, and that the shop did a good job with the install.

Two weeks ago I changed over my wagon from Zeal V6's to a setup with the tokico's, swifts, the JDM top hat, and an extra spring seat in the rear as a spacer (since the JDM top hat supposedly raises a half inch. Don't have a working camera, but the ride height is exactly what I was looking for - two fingers gap in the rear to 215/45/17's, slightly more in front - will post pics next week.

I really like the tokico/swift combo and their trade off between comfort and performance. I'd say they provide 90% of the Zeal's performance - aren't quite as crisp in turn in or transitions - but are more comfortable and with less NVH. Steering feel is excellent without the chatter of road imperfections that goes along with having solid pillowball mounts. The range of adjustability on the Tokicos is huge, but as others have mentioned, the damping range tends to be biased towards the soft side. I'm running two turns from full firm on a car my wife and toddler use for their daily commute. It is unlikely that one would use the softer half of the damping settings - if I go much softer the rear end gets bouncy as in underdamped, at least on the swifts. At full firm the tokico's are quite firm. I was surprised how subtle the handling changes where with damping adjustments, in particular the ability to dial in under/neutral/over steer by changing the firmness of the rear.

A big thumbs up on this setup, have far exceeded my expectations.

That was my first setup with the Tokicos and still the best handling I've tried. Still miss how confident the Swifts were in corners. Ride was a little stiffer than I could deal with on a daily basis tho.

Post some pics when you can, there are a lot of folks who'd like to see how that setup looks.

Boulder, the 24hours is going well. 1st lap time was 46min up from 38 last april. Its cold at night. Funny the last couple weeks the temp has been nice at night but two days before the race it dropped 15 degrees. The drive up was epic NO traffic. StgII and the Cuscos tie in well. Cant imagine when I get the struts.

yeah i guess, the height is exactly how i wanted it, looks like ur height on ur legacy... but... how does that negative toe thingy work again?? right now, its set in the center. :icon_conf

You are refering to camber, not toe. Just take it in for an alignment in the next day or two. I like about 1.5-2* of negative camber in the front and zero toe all the way around. The front camber can be adjusted both on the factory camber bolt on the strut and also on the camber plates.

If you go with iONs on JDM style top-hats (spec-B top-hats) then just get the Bilstein specific iON springs.

If you want the less slammed look then use regular iONs up front HD rear springs and a double rear spring seat. If you use the regular iONs in the rear and a double rear spring seat the rear will look a little low, not too bad, but I noticed it.

Archived