LegacyGT.com

Electrical Engineering g33ks and wannabe's - need help troublshooting the horns!!

PGT

I've had Hella SuperTones installed for over a year with no issues. One '+' lead to the each horn (like stock), but each '-' terminal grounded to the chassis.

I swapped out the Hella's on Saturday for a pair of Stebel Nautilus - air horn with integrated compressors. I wired them up the same, reusing the wiring I put in place for the Hella's (instructions said the relays weren't needed for dual wire and chassis ground). All was well until I made a quick sound clip this morning...one short blast and then nothing. :confused:

I rechecked the connections tonight....everything was good. Did a continuity check on the + leads....check. Ground = check. Put a lead on the negative and one on the positive to measure voltage when 'chirping' the horn by pressing the lock button three times. No voltage coming across.

I plugged a Hella in to make sure either horn wasn't the issue - nothing either. I checked all the fuses in the panel to the left of the steering wheel - all show continuity.

Any ideas? I obviously need a horn. :lol: Loud ones would be better (and maybe relays this time!! :lol:) Is there a remotely mounted fusebox that might handle the horn, etc?

got it. 15a fuse was blown. I swapped in a 20A until I can wire up the relays. Thanks for the quick reply! I was working against daylight and forgot the obvious :lol:

got it. 15a fuse was blown. I swapped in a 20A until I can wire up the relays. Thanks for the quick reply! I was working against daylight and forgot the obvious :lol:

uh oh... it may be a quick fix until relays but for anything else that just gives your wires a bit more time to melt/catch fire before the fuse goes...

uh oh... it may be a quick fix until relays but for anything else that just gives your wires a bit more time to melt/catch fire before the fuse goes...

You really need to add a relay. I did and ran heavier gauge wires directly to the battery terminals.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

^ Agreed - stop being lazy and get that relay in there, PGT! :D

Then you can really wail on the horn any time you like, for however long you like! :lol: :evil: ;):)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'd be worried about the wiring but I don't intend on using the horn. It's not like foglights. I need to have them available just in case. :icon_tong

The bigger story - I was under the car checking the connections and my wife came out and told me it was time to come upstairs. One of our neighbors was mowing the lawn in spandex and I wasn't allowed to watch.....errr....work any more. ;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'd be worried about the wiring but I don't intend on using the horn. It's not like foglights. I need to have them available just in case. :icon_tong

So, what will happen is the one time you really,Really REALLY !! need the horn the fuse will blow and the horn will blare.......... ERP!:lol:

The bigger story - I was under the car checking the connections and my wife came out and told me it was time to come upstairs. One of our neighbors was mowing the lawn in spandex and I wasn't allowed to watch.....errr....work any more. ;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

One of our neighbors was mowing the lawn in spandex and I wasn't allowed to watch.....errr....work any more. ;)

I never realized that you live in an "alternative" neighborhood! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boy, his spandex musta been *really* tight!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ That's easy for me - I just remove the Coke bottles that I call my glasses!

Gorgeous! :D

At least your wife didn't catch the neighbor blowing your new horns.

That would have been REALLY bad. almost like taking her for a test drive!

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

^ ROFL! :lol:

Man, this is seriously turning out to be one filthy day on LGT.com! :lol:

I've had Hella SuperTones installed for over a year with no issues. One '+' lead to the each horn (like stock), but each '-' terminal grounded to the chassis.

I swapped out the Hella's on Saturday for a pair of Stebel Nautilus - air horn with integrated compressors. I wired them up the same, reusing the wiring I put in place for the Hella's (instructions said the relays weren't needed for dual wire and chassis ground). All was well until I made a quick sound clip this morning...one short blast and then nothing. :confused:

I rechecked the connections tonight....everything was good. Did a continuity check on the + leads....check. Ground = check. Put a lead on the negative and one on the positive to measure voltage when 'chirping' the horn by pressing the lock button three times. No voltage coming across.

I plugged a Hella in to make sure either horn wasn't the issue - nothing either. I checked all the fuses in the panel to the left of the steering wheel - all show continuity.

Any ideas? I obviously need a horn. :lol: Loud ones would be better (and maybe relays this time!! :lol:) Is there a remotely mounted fusebox that might handle the horn, etc?

:rtfm: J/k, PGT.:icon_bigg I'm tracking your progress for my install next weekend. *goes to get relays and stuff out of the garbage*:lol:
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Rao's next post in this thread: "Might a grounding kit be in order at this point?":lol:

I think he needs to upgrade his alternator.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I think he needs to upgrade his alternator.

The diodes in the alternator probably blew blew thereby protecting the 99 cent fuse!:lol:

Archived