LegacyGT.com

Electrical Engineering g33ks and wannabe's - need help troublshooting the horns!!

PGT

well....several fuses and horn chirps later, I'm tackling the relays on this, the hottest day of summer so far. :lol:

Look about right??

http://www.rallylights.com/useful_info/useful_images/horns.gif

I've got a pair of new 20A relays (four pole) plus some older 30A Bosch relays. I also picked up some 14wg and two fuse holders. Do I need to wire each horn independently (one relay per horn), or can I cheat and do one relay triggering both?

Do the math, LGT. Stebel Nautilus draws 18 Amps. So one per relay. For two you need like ~40Amp relay, but then you need 40 Amp rated fuse holder. All I 've seen at local stores are 30 Amp max for some reason. I wired two Magnum horns (12A each), I am adding one Nautilus, so I'll end up with two relays setup.

Also, advantage of two relays is redundancy. If one fails, one horn will work. Of course the factory relay is the single point of failure...

agreed, but I have a pair of 30A as well, thus my Q. 2x18A might work fine on a single. I'm going to wire up both....I like your suggestion of some redundancy, besides they might be louder with independent power sources. :lol:

Archived