LegacyGT.com

Put 2007 stereo in 2005 Legacy GT?

Mindflayer

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Goral85, that's where I saw it. Good ol Jose Spitz of Carter Subar can always be trusted for these details.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Thanks for the link!

Looks like, in addition to the stereo, you'd need to at least grab the center console insert. Hmm.....

I don't think I'd bother with that unless you want a pristine install. You'll get into little thinks like getting the seat warmers rewired, etc.

Personally I'd hook up a voltmeter to the pins 1,2,5,6 and see if anything is grounded or has a voltage, those probably WOULDN'T be the audio pins.

Bleh... that new radio in the link above looks horrible...

Yep. Cheap looking non-matching knobs and ugly rectangular buttons. They ruined what was a very nice looking design when there was no reason to.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Myself, I like the new design. I would be willing to swap head units with anyone who got a 07 and didn't like it :)

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Spinjockey - thanks for the info. The under-seat sub connection was one of the major questions I had about the 07 unit. Glad to see it'll connect without modification! Are you planning on grabbing one soon?

Also - In another thread, the AUX is reported to be in the flip-down ashtray. Can anyone confirm this? If it is, does that mean those wishing to replace will need to purchase an updated center console piece?

PS. Anyone have a pic of the front of the stereo? [edit]Thought of one other minor detail -- can anyone confirm that the backlighting for the stereo buttons is red (i.e. matches the 05-06 scheme)?

Chum

The aux is under the armrest right next to the extra cig. outlet. I didn't get a chance to hear what it sounded like because it had just came off the truck and didn't have the code in yet.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

subscribe

Who'll be the first? I'm thinking I'd like to add the spec b steering wheel with audio controls. Anybody got a part # for that? ;)

Cheers!

-Ian

Edit: Nevermind on the steering wheel. I found the walkthrough on that install. Very cool.

Has anyone found a part number for the armrest insert that contains the aux in plug?

Also, can you confirm the part number 86201AG67A contains the integrated stereo/HVAC faceplate or is this just the head unit and the faceplate is going to be extra?

Anyone in the Seattle area want to help me with this install? Will probably add the spec b steering wheel with audio controls and an STi STS at the same time. ;)

Cheers!

-Ian

Well, looks like we've now got the armrest box part number: 86257XA10A. Not an inexpensive item at $283. OUCH! http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=86257XA10A&submit.x=11&submit.y=5

Thanks to hovied for providing this info in another thread. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42002

I think I need to save up some more subie bucks for this mod! ;)

Another question though. The new stereo has this SRSLabs "WOW" system. Will this be compatible with my existing speakers?

Nobody wants to help, eh? Fine, be that way! :p

It's not that nobody wants to help. If I had the $1000 to drop on the stereo system, I would be all over it!! It is because no one has the knowledge about it and no one wants to pull apart their new car :(

I hear you. I was just kidding anyway. I know somebody would step up if they had the knowledge. That's the great thing about these forums is that everyone is so willing to share their knowledge.

I've got 700 subie bucks saved up but it looks like I'll need a few more for the under armrest box with the Aux in plug.

I'm a bit nervous about pulling the stereo apart as well. I know Jazzymt's done it. Maybe I need to make a trip to Montana and have him help! ;)

I'd also like confirmation that these are indeed the only 2 parts I'd need and that they are indeed the 2007 stereo and the box with the Aux in plug and that all wires are included, etc. I guess I won't though and I'll have to take a bit of a leap of faith.

Cheers!

-Ian

Yeah...well I have a board that I am testing on my radio that uses the 4th position (SAT) of the buttons for AM/FM/CD and switches to Auxiliary.

If all goes well within the next 2 weeks of running my test, I will install it into someone local's radio for a week and then start installing them for people.

The cost is yet to be determined because it is a lengthy install (3+ hours) plus parts for my custom fabricated board.

Well...once I have it tested in my car for a week or so, I will install it in DV8ingvector's car. Then the locals would be great.

I am 99% sure it will work in the 2.5i because I am using the tuner outputs.

One note of caution is that I have to cut the traces on the tuner outputs. I tried just pulling off the resistors, but I still had "bleeding" from radio stations at volume levels above 16 - cut the traces and VOILA; no noise. So if you are worried about cutting traces (or having me cut traces), then I would say this isn't for you. I will offer up my solution in a couple of ways.

1. When we install it in DV8ingVector's, we will take step by step pics and offer a completed board to install yourself - VERY complicated - probably an 8 or 9 on a scale of 10.

2. Completed solution. You send me your radio, I send you a completed one. I have an extra radio on hand, so you wouldn't have to wait for me to do yours. I will create a list and a New Topic of course when I am thoroughly satisfied with the testing.

Bad news for anybody that thought this was possible to get the Aux Box connection (putting the 07 radio in their car)...It ain't possible.

While installing my "test" radio in my car over the holiday weekend, I took note of the i85 connector. It doesn't have all of the wires connected to it...so, in addition to buying the radio and aux box, you would have to run some wires from the Aux Box to the i85 connector according to the diagram on one of these topics.

IMG_10212.jpg.062b9bd63601a102de5afdbc98b00649.jpg

So far I haven't seen anyone asks this question. Does the '07 radio sound better then the '05-'06? If not the jazzy AUX mod and give you an aux input for about $30. I have it and it works great.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Bad news for anybody that thought this was possible to get the Aux Box connection (putting the 07 radio in their car)...It ain't possible.

While installing my "test" radio in my car over the holiday weekend, I took note of the i85 connector. It doesn't have all of the wires connected to it...so, in addition to buying the radio and aux box, you would have to run some wires from the Aux Box to the i85 connector according to the diagram on one of these topics.

I though it was semi-obvious from my previous post (#45) that it will be possible to use the 07 Aux Box with an 07 radio in an 05-06 but it will require that I85 be rewired as it differs from 05/06 to 07.

If you go that route I'd recommend getting similar pins and glue them into I85 and solder them on the Aux Box. As it's probably going to be difficult to get the wiring harness for the Aux Box since wiring harnesses aren't easy nor cheap to get.

Due to the price of the Aux Box I'd recommend wring up your own Aux-in Port. I'm guessing that 07 radio i85 pins 1/2 are R/L (or L/R), and pin 5 is ground. Pin 6 may be either downstream or bidirectional control for the Sat module. I'm guessing it's bidirectional to display song info and control the tuner.

Can anyone with an 07 and XM comment on how the radio looks in sat mode? Does it display song information?

Archived