LegacyGT.com

Help me avoid getting raped...

...by my dealership :lol:

Well its 15,000 mile service time and I was told that it would cost $250. I called BS, and had them do the Lube, oil filter, and safety inspection. I had my tires rotated at 12,000 miles, but thes rest of the stuff I'm not sure about. Is all of this really necessary? My service manual says no, but I wanted to ask you guys. I know that there are various threads about this, but I did not see a difinitive answer.

Here is the pamphlet they gave me:

900054724_SubyMaintenance.JPG.bb3ab18287f181f3d5489482909abf29.JPG

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

you don't have to take it to a dealer you know.....
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

you could take care of all that work on a weekend in less than 3 hours for less than $100. (and that's including beer money!) Also, "27 Point Safety Inspection" is when the tech working on your car takes his daily dump.

IMO, unless your time is super valuable, do it yourself... pride + knowing its a job well done > taking it in the poop chute from the dealer

Thanks for the comments...I realize that I don't need to take it to the dealer, which is why I refused any service other than the oil change and the "safety inspection" (the inspection was free). After further research on the fuel filter, I now realize that it is BS.

Two quick questions:

-Does the PCV valve need to be replaced at 15k?

-How can I inspect the battery charging system (if this is at all needed)? I'm an electrical engineer, but rather ignorant of cars so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Nope! Wouldn't 15k intervals be 15k/30/45k/60k/75k, etc? They got it right on the 30k intervals. :lol:

Oh, i see... semantics...

should read: 15k service - Starting at 15k miles and repeating at 30k mile intervals. 30k service - Starting at 30k miles and repeating at 30k intervals.

Thanks for the comments...I realize that I don't need to take it to the dealer, which is why I refused any service other than the oil change and the "safety inspection" (the inspection was free). After further research on the fuel filter, I now realize that it is BS.

Two quick questions:

-How can I inspect the battery charging system (if this is at all needed)? I'm an electrical engineer, but rather ignorant of cars so I thought I'd give it a shot.

PCV valve = so cheap you might as well (~$3-5)

Autozone will check your alternator and battery for free, so that might be worth checking out. Also, throw a fluke on your cables and check the resistance. I'm sure an EE can figure out if there is continuity or not. :icon_bigg

Two quick questions:

To answer your questions first, no and they will do that for free if you ask. I recently did my 15k service, and it was $80 WITH synthetic oil. They did all the recommended service, plus a couple extra crappy gimmics they try to sell you for more than they should (like fuel additive junk).

PCV valve = so cheap you might as well (~$3-5)

Autozone will check your alternator and battery for free, so that might be worth checking out. Also, throw a fluke on your cables and check the resistance. I'm sure an EE can figure out if there is continuity or not. :icon_bigg

Thanks for the info...and the vote of confidence :lol:

so, every 30k miles there's a '15k service'? :kekeke: ummkay...maybe they should call it the 'half off special'!

Man..I am gonna have to spell this out :icon_bigg:

15k - 15k Service

30k - 30k Service

...still with me?

45k - 15k Service (30 + 15...)

60k - 30k Service....

75k - 15k Serv....

So every second 15k service is a 30k service...you know to change all those different parts that you have change every 30k. ::rolls eyes::

Archived